Speaker System Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Nian

Nian Member

Erm, what are you talking about? Both Toms Hardware and TweakTown did reviews.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/razer-leviathan,review-2647.html

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7...hannel-gaming-sound-bar-sub-review/index.html

https://www.techspot.com/products/speakers/razer-leviathan-51-channel-surround-sound-bar.113163/

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2014/12/razer-leviathan-51-channel-surround-sound-bar-the-kotaku-review/

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  2. Nian

Nian Member

3. Multiplexer

Multiplexer Member

4. Chardiieee

Chardiieee Member

jesus christ dude, I know the upper limit of audio is basically infinite cost, but $1500 aint cheap.

Let me put this into some perspective since I might already have a solution.

SMSL SA50 50W 2ch amp, very basic but not trash quality, with a speaker-level to line-level converter going to my sub, which solves the 2.1 output half of it.
    My bookshelf speakers arent that great but they arent trash either. Microlab Pro3 which is a weird passive copy of some old KRK Rokit 8's, that are decently flat down to about 100hz and then have zero actual bass.

Ill feed ththe SA50 with something nicer, like a Micca Origen G2 since I can use it to power my nicer headphones (MSR7) but also act as a physical volume control for the speakers, at the flip of a switch too.

Opinions?

5. Camm

Camm Member

Heh, it certainly is, although I do think such a setup is sitting at a sweet spot of high end performance (much like how we buy in the PC world).

I know I'm a Schiit fanboi, but a Fulla 2 is great little headphone amp / preamp / dac designed specifically for the desktop, and with a big volume knob to boot! which will run you about $150. Keep your current amp and look for a old Class A/B amp to pop up on Gumtree for $50 at some point.

If the budget can stretch though, the Jotunheim is, with the exception of lack of Toslink (an issue for myself as I still like to use my Xfi as a DSP), an insane do everything desktop unit with options for a 32 bit DAC, or 16 bit ladder dac, as well as fully balanced input and output. About $800 though.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  6. millsy

millsy Member

Got a set of decent bookshelves the names of which escape me currently, and looking to use them again now I have reclaimed some desk space. Looking for a small amp I can put on my desk to power them, doesn't need to be super powerful, this is a small room. Currently have the venerable DSE amp, but it runs quite warm, and the volume knob is now a bit dodgy so I have need for something a bit less bulky. I already have a DAC so that is not required.

Not averse to DIY, I can see plenty of kits but very few with enclosures and I don't really want to stuff around with enclosures if I don't have to!

7. Chardiieee

Chardiieee Member

Millsy look into SMSL. You can get a 50W amp the size of your phone for like 60 bucks on ebay. SMSL SA50plus should do the job unless you really need more power, and SMSL does have those.

Im still looking for other suppliers myself, since Australia desperately needs more stuff like this.
    You could undercut the whole giant hifi amp market with it, and give people a reason to use passive speakers more often.

8. millsy

millsy Member

You'd be right there, that looks pretty much exactly what I was chasing but without a DAC, which I see they also have the option of :)

9. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

When I had my DynAudio bookshelf speakers I ran them off a 1980s TEAC amp I bought online. Was small but weighed a lot. Maybe go old school?

10. Suopermanni

Suopermanni Member

Well, if you want a small form factor amp local, try asking Richard Macdonald whose email address I have. I have two of their Quasimodo amp and they are quite nice.

11. Nian

Nian Member

What would you like to hear? They are a good quality pair of speakers for $200. The Audioengine 2+ are $359... Not been a bastard here, but why even being up the A+? May as well ask what a Ford Focus is like compared to a Ferrari... It's a nonsensical question that doesn't deserve an answer.

12. jay-stormchaser

jay-stormchaser Member

wrong thread

13. russkris

russkris Member

Hi,

I am looking for a small sound bar for my pc, doesn’t have to be fancy like Bose.

I have 2 x 24inch monitors. Just want to sit underneath in the middle or just under one, nothing wider than say 30ish cm.

I have purchased a generic one of eBay, but it sounds as tinny as the monitor ones.

Anyone have any recommendations?

14. Nian

Nian Member

Had a look. If you want a soundbar, sadly there just isn't many on a tight budget.

For size, scratch out all home theater soundbars at JBHifi and the like.

For cost, well, for gaming / computer stores. Yeah you only have ONE soundbar available. That would be the speaker I always recommend!

So for $239, just get a Razer Leviathan.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  15. russkris

russkris Member

Cheap but not too cheap doesn’t have to be top of the line, I don’t spend enough time on the computer. Hopefully no more than $100.

Just YouTube vids, Spotify and a few games.

16. Nian

Nian Member

At no wider than the 24" and around $100. There aren't any ok > good soundbars. Better off getting a decent set of 2.1's. The problem is, none are as small as you want them to be.

17. Antmanoz

Antmanoz Member

Bose Cinemates, can be had at a good price second hand, love mine to bits! Awesome sound !!

18. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

You can get fuck all with $100 budget and expect any decent sound out of them, even if going vintage.

Nian likes this.
  19. boombaps

boombaps New Member

I've got a pair of Yamaha HS50M 5" Powered Studio Monitor's that are just sitting around. What would be the best way (or some options) to use these on my PC.

20. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

If they have coax and optical best bet is optical toslink between your motherboard/soundcard and the active amplifier of the speaker.

If they only have RCA you can use a splitter rca to 3.5mm which goes into the headphone output jack on your motherboard/soundcard or via a DAC if you have one.