Speaker System Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 3, 2009.

1. srey

srey Member

Those monitors have XLR and TRS inputs, yeah?

Like most monitors they don't have a volume control (aside from a level adjust that likely only gives a few dB each way), so you have to control the volume at the source.

Couple of ways you can hook them up:

Cheapest:
    Grab a 3.5mm > 2xRCA cable and a couple of RCA > TS adapters and just run directly from your PC speaker out to the TRS jacks of the monitors (assuming they'll take the unbalanced signal, they should).
    I've run some like this in the past and it does work, but is very dependent on the sound device in your PC; it might be fine, or it might sound crackly and shit. You'll also likely have to run your PC sound at a very low level, which can cause issues in lacking the ability to easily get the level you want.

Better option:
    Use an audio interface / pre-amp.
    My desktop setup at work uses studio monitors and they were shocking running off the PC sound card. I grabbed a really basic interface (M-audio hub) as I have no real need for inputs (and it has a big level knob that's easy to grab in a hurry!) and it is lightyears better.
    It runs my headphones easily too, and has an independent level control for them. Only really bug is a slight channel imbalance at very low levels, so I just tend to bring down the system level slightly so I can run the interface pots in a more usable range.

If you have an old pre-amp floating around you can do the same sort of thing, you'll just need to use the RCA > TS adapters to connect to the monitor, and likely still use the DAC in the PC and output via an RCA connection to the pre.

Hope that's of some help!

2. ysojelly

ysojelly Member

As mentioned above, an audio interface would get you up and running nicely, such as a Scarlett 2i2, also has input channels if you ever decide to add an xlr mic/or record some instruments or something. Or you could consider looking into a desktop dac/amp for purely an output method.

3. Leigh M

Leigh M Member

Still eyeing off the Edifier R2000DB speakers for a while but they haven't really moved anywhere in terms of price so I'm now checking out the R1700BT's, anyone have any experience with either?

For use with Music/Movies/TV etc (using a headset for gaming).

Similarly priced unit recommendations also welcome.

4. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

Chasing an affordable 2channel amp to use with my bookshelf speakers, some older tannoys. Nothing too fancy, got a DSE A2760 when I need some extra oomph. Would be handy to have an option to add a (powered) subwoofer but not necessary.
    https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B017W13OR0/
    Was looking at that, if it actually is the advertised TPA3118D2DAP it's quite well regarded, but there's a lot of fakes. No subbie out tho.

Thoughts OCAU collective? I'm not adverse to DIY, but I'd wanna be able to make it over the break so locally available parts are a must.

5. Leigh M

Leigh M Member

Just bought a set of Edifier S350DB, price seemed pretty good and reviewed great as well.

AU $316.00 delivered @ that ebay TechMall thing with 20% off Code PTECHM20, cheapest on staticice by $5 and includes shipping which is $20+ from other stores.