Speaker System Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 3, 2009.

1. srey

srey Member

Those monitors have XLR and TRS inputs, yeah?

Like most monitors they don't have a volume control (aside from a level adjust that likely only gives a few dB each way), so you have to control the volume at the source.

Couple of ways you can hook them up:

Cheapest:
    Grab a 3.5mm > 2xRCA cable and a couple of RCA > TS adapters and just run directly from your PC speaker out to the TRS jacks of the monitors (assuming they'll take the unbalanced signal, they should).
    I've run some like this in the past and it does work, but is very dependent on the sound device in your PC; it might be fine, or it might sound crackly and shit. You'll also likely have to run your PC sound at a very low level, which can cause issues in lacking the ability to easily get the level you want.

Better option:
    Use an audio interface / pre-amp.
    My desktop setup at work uses studio monitors and they were shocking running off the PC sound card. I grabbed a really basic interface (M-audio hub) as I have no real need for inputs (and it has a big level knob that's easy to grab in a hurry!) and it is lightyears better.
    It runs my headphones easily too, and has an independent level control for them. Only really bug is a slight channel imbalance at very low levels, so I just tend to bring down the system level slightly so I can run the interface pots in a more usable range.

If you have an old pre-amp floating around you can do the same sort of thing, you'll just need to use the RCA > TS adapters to connect to the monitor, and likely still use the DAC in the PC and output via an RCA connection to the pre.

Hope that's of some help!

2. ysojelly

ysojelly Member

As mentioned above, an audio interface would get you up and running nicely, such as a Scarlett 2i2, also has input channels if you ever decide to add an xlr mic/or record some instruments or something. Or you could consider looking into a desktop dac/amp for purely an output method.

3. Leigh M

Leigh M Member

Still eyeing off the Edifier R2000DB speakers for a while but they haven't really moved anywhere in terms of price so I'm now checking out the R1700BT's, anyone have any experience with either?

For use with Music/Movies/TV etc (using a headset for gaming).

Similarly priced unit recommendations also welcome.

4. millsy

millsy Member

Chasing an affordable 2channel amp to use with my bookshelf speakers, some older tannoys. Nothing too fancy, got a DSE A2760 when I need some extra oomph. Would be handy to have an option to add a (powered) subwoofer but not necessary.
    https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B017W13OR0/
    Was looking at that, if it actually is the advertised TPA3118D2DAP it's quite well regarded, but there's a lot of fakes. No subbie out tho.

Thoughts OCAU collective? I'm not adverse to DIY, but I'd wanna be able to make it over the break so locally available parts are a must.

5. Leigh M

Leigh M Member

Just bought a set of Edifier S350DB, price seemed pretty good and reviewed great as well.

AU $316.00 delivered @ that ebay TechMall thing with 20% off Code PTECHM20, cheapest on staticice by $5 and includes shipping which is $20+ from other stores.

6. johnnyg_korrupt

johnnyg_korrupt Member

hey guys does optical from your motherboard only do digital 2 channel?

I had logitech z5500 speakers and the control pod broke. I decided to hook it up to a spare pioneer receiver thinking it would be easy but obviously not. The sub has a custom connection so thats out. I did manage to hook the speakers up to the reciever as they are wired.

Next prob was connecting the reciever to my pc. Used HDMI and that was the first problem - using the hdmi cable makes windows thinks it's a separate screen. At boot i'd get black screen and the pc would think i'm using hdmi instead of my displayport freesync monitor.

If i choose under display setting "use only this display" then the audio is cut on out hdmi.

Only way i could get it to work was to choose "extend these displays".

Still have problems if i turn off freesync from the monitor, however, - it changes to the hdmi display so black screen.

Tried using the optical spdif port of my motherboard instead to get audio - not getting 5 channel however only 2

7. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

May depend on your motherboard and or received what it sends / recieves via optical. Optical itself can do 5.1 though...

8. CeeAyeEee

CeeAyeEee Member

An affordable amp is any home theatre amp set to flat response 2 channel stereo mode. buy from classifieds cheap without a remote (as its arm distance away) lots of power and you can always EQ the room to satisfy fidelity.

9. WuzzA21

WuzzA21 Member

I've got some Logitech z 2300 speakers, the sound cable going into the audio output has been chewed on by my cat... It still works, but sometimes it needs to be moved to get sound out of both speakers. Any advice on a new speaker system? or should i just ebay a new controler for it?

10. connico

connico Member

Got a NAD C315BEE if you want it mate...shipping to you might be a bitch though?

11. Nian

Nian Member

All depends on budget. We could recommend anything. But honestly, if I was tight. I would probably go Edifier $50-$100, however even up to $400 they are a good buy, especially their bookshelf speakers and 2.1 setups, good quality for the price, some include bluetooth. Otherwise, for a small speaker bar with sub I would go the Razer Leviathan for around $300, sometimes cheaper. Beyond that, for true 5.1 you can't beat Logitech at $450.

Again, lots of options. All based on budget and need.

12. Nian

Nian Member

When the controller dies (usually static from carpet), then there are few options. One is a simple cable mod that gives you the analog 5.1. I don't think optical or coax is an option. So... https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Control...312988?hash=item1ee134315c:g:rb4AAOSwBY5a1vIj

T1ckT0ck likes this.
  13. Gekkz

Gekkz Member

Looking for help from the OCAU audiophiles :) I am planning to do a complete upgrade on PC setup soon and was hoping to get some advise/recommendations on speakers.

I'm looking to spend around 250-300 on speakers and was wondering if I should budget for a DAC/AMP or sound card. From what I've gathered so far, unless I'm getting top-tier audio equipment onboard should be good enough.

14. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Forget the DAC/Sound card they provide the least amount of change in sound quality specially when you're are not running something like Avalon, B&W or Egglestons. Invest all the money in the speakers. Do your research and audition if possible in current COVID situations (I cannot stress this enough, auditioning is the key). Then allow yourself a budget later on for an amp. If you want to forget the amp being a hassle and extra thing to take up space, get some decent active powered bookshelfs.

GDavid and mAJORD like this.
  15. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Edifier make some OK powered PC speakers (inbuilt amp and DAC). Just get those.

16. Pemalite

Pemalite Member

Good speakers for a few hundred bucks?

Wanted to get the Microlab Solo 7c years ago but didn't... Want something loud and proud that isn't going to break the bank.

At the moment running a sharp CD-C421W 4-speaker sound system, but will migrate that to the games room and would like some 2.0 speakers for my PC, usually like to crank some spotify on the odd weekend while doing house work, so good volume, but punchy sound would be ideal... Just not sure what is good value at the moment.

Tried the Kmart 2.1 Light-up speakers, but they were absolute garbage, will be returning them tomorrow...

17. Digit

Digit Member

Hey All, I'm looking for a new set of desktop/bookshelf speakers as my current ones are garbage (literally i grabbed from someones throwout).

I'm looking at Swan M10 powered 2.1 or Edifier R1280DB, out of those two what would you pick? Or for under $150ish, is there anything else youd recommend? I can stretch the budget a little if it gets me a lot more bang for my buck

18. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Anyone looking to supercharge their PC speaker setup, recently picked up a set of the IK Multimedia MTM monitors.

Highly recommend.

Mic calibrated DSP built in. And the little 3.5" drivers dig deep, controlled 50hz bass deep.

Need a preamp of some sort though.

19. 151528

151528 Member

I've been keeping an eye out for a set of these recently but can't seem to find them for anything less than $360

How have you found them after using them for a year+? Still seems they're the only ones with their feature set available at that price point

20. Leigh M

Leigh M Member

Pretty awesome for music and tv/movies and the best speakers I've ever owned but not much to compare them to.

I use optical , aux and Bluetooth connections to them and switching is easy as. The remote isn't the greatest because it's a circle but it's built well and works well, just not friendly in the dark.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    151528 likes this.