1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Speaker System Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 3, 2009.

1. super kermit

super kermit Member

I am looking for a set of 5.1 PC speakers for gaming only.

Is Logitech z906 my only option?

2. GDavid

GDavid Member

Great post. Many people make the big mistake by auditioning speakers in close proximity to other speakers. When other enclosures are close they will act as a passive radiator. So when you audition speakers, try to get some physical separation from other speakers and also take some music with you that you are very familiar with for the best decisions...

3. ssnke

ssnke Member

Please help with a set of Monitors or decent pair of speakers, I've been looking at the Yamaha HS8 but it seems that I can only import these :(
    Then going down the rabbit hole, there are so many options... currently budgeted $1k, looking for the size of HS8's

Configuration - To be connected by XLR from a mixer as there is a wireless microphone decoder attached to the mixer.
    The speakers will be use for various things, TV entertainment, mixing, karaoke. Downgrading from 5.1 setup as I don't have much room and it was overkill
    The mixer is used to switch between Console, PC and microphones.

Cheers

4. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

If it's purely mixing etc I would go with Genelec's or PSB's. But you want other stuff in the mix now. Hmm can you stretch a bit out of $1k?

5. GDavid

GDavid Member

Listen before you buy, specs and stats can make sense but you'll need to be able to interpret them without fail.
    Listen to monitors and preferably listen with passages you know well. Connection type matters little given XLR, it's all up to your ears.

6. Martyn

Martyn Member

I went to help a friends son with some PC issues and I found that his speakers sounded a hell of a lot better than mine.

Long story short, after 18 x years, swapped out the 5.1 Logitech Z680's for some Edifier S3000pro 2.0's and can't believe the difference in clarity.

7. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

People like the S3000Pro. They are $599 at the moment too, which is a great price for them, lot of value there.

8. CeeAyeEee

CeeAyeEee Member

I guess my Creative T7700 7.1 are coming up to their 18th birthday. I wonder if I should send them off from home too?

9. bryn

bryn Member

The moral of the story there is that tiny satellites & a “subwoofer” are always garbage for music- they can never get the midrange right.

also... most peoples computer setups have no hope of gettibg surround sound speakers working well- you need to much space to get the rears far enough behind you

10. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Moral of the storey is always invest in a pure stereo setup, speakers or headphones. Quality 2.0 always beats a lower quality 2.1 / 5.1

JSmithDTV, GDavid and connico like this.
  11. Nian

Nian Member

My Z5500D is still going strong. So not sure about that.

12. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

I'm sure it still works and outputs sounds.

Pbx_Jnr and GDavid like this.
  13. stiben

stiben Member

ysojelly likes this.
  14. ysojelly

ysojelly Member

15. eastley

eastley Member

Hey Guys.

So on my PC I run.

Yamaha R-N602 Stereo Receiver, Yamaha NS-SW500 Subwoofer and a pair of Polk RTiA7's.

So reasonable cheap crap.

In my head I want to down size, something minimal, multi purpose, like Edifier Airpulse A300's.

But there is no way on this earth, in Tasmania, could I seel what I have for any decent price.

So is it stupid for me to think this?

16. frankgobbo

frankgobbo Member

Guess it depends on shipping, potentially $1100 + shipping from what I can see for the Edifers; though more a comment on your current setup :)

I have the previous gen speakers to you, Polk RTi10 running off a Rotel amp and I still love them. Had them for ~16 years, it's just a shame I moved house and they don't remotely fit in my office anymore so I'm looking for some good quality but smaller bookshelf/reference speakers, maybe something like the KEF LSX.

It's just hard to find a lot in that size/price range, I want under 30cm high (monitor height off desk) and I struggle to find anywhere around Melbourne where you can really audition those size speakers; so if anybody has a recommendation for something ~25cm height (and preferably not a lot more depth) for the 1-1.5k range I'm all ears (literally).

17. 151528

151528 Member

I've done a fair bit of listening with the LSX's and to be honest, if you're struggling to find much else to compare them with (as have I), I wouldn't even worry, you'd be more than happy with them

Though I have to admit the app controls bugged me a little, but probably because I wasn't the one in control (listened to them at a friends place a lot)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
  18. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

LSX are a solid little speaker.

I had the LS50W II as nearfield on my desk for 8 months. Enjoyed them a lot. Decent step up (SQ and price..)

Given I had a dope DAC and preamp, I actually just changed to Acoustic Engery AE1 and pocketed the price difference. About $2k, but thoroughly impressive.

19. Daemos

Daemos Member

I'm looking for a set of 2.0 active bookshelf speakers for my standing desk, around a $500-600 budget. They need to fit on the desk comfortably so they cannot be too big. I had considered looking at the Edifer S3000Pro if/when they go on sale again but they are way too big.

I already have a headphone setup that's not top end, but I am happy with (Schiit eitr --> Schiit Modi Multibit --> Schiit Jot --> balanced HD650). So essentially I just want speakers I can use for music/youtube/games when I don't want to use the headphones.

As a reference, based on measurements, the Edifer R2000DB would be the largest speakers I would want to fit on my desk.

Can I please get some recommendations? Thanks.

Benno1988 likes this.
  20. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Kanto YU6

Daemos likes this.