1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Speakers for bedroom

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Coldplayer, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Coldplayer

Coldplayer Member

Hey guys, looking for speakers for my bedroom, not sure if i need floorstanding ones so at the moment looking at bookshelves. I've got a dac it can be hooked up to but otherwise i'll be buying an amp for it. Budget is around $1000. At the moment i'm using JBL LSR305 studio monitors but want something a bit more musical sounding.

Cheers

2. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

just for music?

assuming you're just after 2 channel, i'd go second hand all the way

grab an old (but good quality - think Yamaha, Pioneer, Harmon Kardon etc.) 2 ch amp, which outputs 40-100wrms per channel. should cost around $100-200

then grab a second hand pair of quality bookshelf speakers (think B&W, Dynaudio, Kef, Paradigm etc.) with the rest of the money

3. OP
    OP
    Coldplayer

Coldplayer Member

Yeah just after 2 channel and for music. There's quite a few second hand ones on gumtree but no idea which to get. I heard speaker kits sound really good too and some only require you screwing everything in.

4. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

don't buy speakers unless you can listen to them first

less important with amps, but if you can, get them to demo it working

the loudspeaker kit used to do decent speaker kits, but they went under (i think)

post up the gumtree offers here, and someone will be able to let you know whether it's a good or bad buy (and if a good buy, hopefully not beat you to them :lol:)

5. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

Loudspeaker kit are back up and running, but under new owners.