Speakers / System suggestions new home theater setup

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by cyclobs, Jul 22, 2019.

1. cyclobs

cyclobs Member

Hi Guys,

So i currently have an old Logitech 5.1 system which i'm looking to replace with a full sound system. I've not been following the audio area much so i don't know where to start with any of this. Currently i'm looking to get a 7.2 or 9.2 system and require suggestions for amps and speakers.

Looking at somewhere up to $1500 - $2000 for the full system but it's not a hard limit currently.

Somewhat looking to put a system together my self but am open to packaged systems if they are decent for a good price. My current use would be primary for music and video games as it will be connected to my PC, however the occasional movies / TV shows will be played

2. deluxe

deluxe Member

Do you have requirements for the receiver- 1080p or 4k? Any particular decoding it should support?
    Are you saying you want 9 (or 11) speakers including two subwoofers, and a receiver for 1500-2000?

I'd recommend buying secondhand, you'll get a lot more for your dollar.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    Zee likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    cyclobs

cyclobs Member

The receiver will be audio only so nothing special required there. I've looked at some receivers that do what i want and yeah they are quite pricey but they do support DTS:X and atmos which i am kinda interested in. Any brand or specific receivers that you would recommend?

Also been looking at Klipsch speakers which are... pricey

4. deluxe

deluxe Member

Klipsch are well built speakers, sonically in that bright-sounding bracket with stuff like Polk Audio, Dali.

With regards to decoding- Atmos and DTS:X are not widely supported, yes there is some content on Netflix (which needs specific players like an xbox or apple tv 4k) but the majority of content is bluray, hd and 4k. I'd suggest instead getting a receiver with support for lossless 5.1 standards, which is Dolby TrueHD / DTS-HD Master Audio.

I take it from your comment that you're only using this with a pc display, not an additional tv/projector/whatever? If so, then a 1080p receiver is a cheaper option too.

My advice is get a 3.1 or 5.1 system going. Start with a receiver that has the capabilities you need (most will be 7.1) and get a nice pair of fronts, these do the heavy lifting for music. Two-way cabinets or floorstanders are ideal!

Next get a nice sub, remember quality > size. For the center, you don't want this to be too puny as it handles most of the dialog for movies. Lastly if you still have money to burn get the rear surrounds- these can be small 'bookshelf' speakers.

Can't stress this enough- you will get speakers an order of magnitude better, if buying secondhand.

5. Hi-end Head

Hi-end Head Member

In that case you might be better looking for a multi channel integrated.

Realistically, With your low budget , you might be better of looking for something used / demo / 2nd hand, and then up-grading each single
    component, as finances allow. We can all look at hi-named systems, but no one has ever started that way,,, we all build up from nothing to something.
    We start with a bomb car, and sometimes 50 years later own a Porsche, or a better bomb car.

When it comes to speakers to sky's not always the limit, Klipsch start at entry level, and compared to other HiFi brands, remain at the bottom of the heap. If your looking at used try and keep away from JB of Uncle Harvey's mass produced efforts. Look at dealers who have a trade-in / up-grade range, the saving can be quite considerable.. Aussie Audio Mart would be a good place to start https://www.aussieaudiomart.com/classifieds/3-speakers/ or Len Wallis
    https://lenwallisaudio.com/category/secondhand/

Zee likes this.
  6. GTR27

GTR27 Member

Can put in a huge wrap for Edward at Adelaide speakers (ascension speakers). I have a set of Timberwolves (2103GQTL) in real blackwood veneer and the cabinetry alone is artwork. They are physically massive speakers though (1.25m tall, 300mm wide front face and 400mm deep), so not for everyone. But you can call and speak to him, send him pics of your room and he can help you with choices about what suits your taste, room and budget.

Dalork and JSmithDTV like this.
  7. Hi-end Head

Hi-end Head Member

I'm sorry but I can't and won't agree,, Adelaide speakers are basically low end entry level, in the world of quality brands. And the costs do reflect that..
    I doubt you will see them at Hi Fi shows, or reviewed in Audio publications.

8. GTR27

GTR27 Member

I can tell you after auditioning speakers in the $5k range, that my Timberwolves were better than everything else i tested (Krix Nuephonix, VAF DC-X, Jamo C109, KEF R5, some B&W's cant remember the model)

They are outstanding value for money.

Being in Hifi mags or audio publications is not in any way shape or form reflective of the quality of the speaker. In fact, i'd go so far to say as that is the realm of anal dickheads who circle jerk about their $5k cables that make 0 net difference to the performance of their system. The type of person who gets pumped for money for some magical device that makes claims on how much better it is. $1k HDMI cables and the like. Good quality cables are worth it, and you can get them made for a reasonable price. I think I paid about $250 for both main speaker cables, and XLR cables. Anything more that that is a waste of money. Audio unfortunately is full of those type of people who believe they are better than others because of what they own, or the choices they made.

OP, if you're in Sydney you can come around and have a listen / look to see what they look like in the flesh. Best way to choose speakers is to bring your own music and listen to them. Every single person has different tastes and sonic preferences. Speakers I hate others may love - and the reverse of course. But it really is such a personal thing, i'd just look at suggestions and then listen to everything.

9. OP
    OP
    cyclobs

cyclobs Member

I'm actually heading up there this weekend though i don't think i'll have the time unfortunately

10. GTR27

GTR27 Member

For the cables, I got mine made up at https://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/ultrasonic-welding.htm
    who I can highly recommend. The cables are outstanding quality and very reasonably priced. I had banana plugs on either end to make moving my gear simple.

Edit: not suggesting Adelaide speakers be all and end all, but they are fantastic value for money.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  11. Hi-end Head

Hi-end Head Member

My-be not but advertising sure sells products..If you consider the fact that the accompanying products used in the test are normally very [ultra] Hi-end, do you really think that the reviewer owns them.
    Reviewers normally get the product for freee, So there not about t rubbish it. and the magazine relies on advertising for survival. The only exception I know of is Hi Fi Critic, which is advertisement free published 4 times a year and will cost you $35 per copy.

With respect, I don't think you have any concept of speaker size. While some go completely over board, Think the area size of your average door, or the size of your average fridge.
    With accompanying weights to match. 80 and 100 kilo's each are not considered special. And once you get into Wilson. and Magico the sky's the limit as is price. I have speakers here that nudge 2 metres high and weigh in excess of 60 kilo's each. Most of the really big stuff are assembled on site.

There was case a while ago when Genisis exhibited at the Hong Kong show and some of the speaker componants packing cases would not fit in the service lift. The had to employ 8 big men to carry the crates up 8 flights of stairs

These are considered big http://i66.tinypic.com/k2xu9i.jpg [[[[ please note tiny Pic's are closing down ]]]] Gryphon make a similar speaker https://gryphon-audio.dk/produkt-kategori/loudspeakers/ But if you want normally priced speakers, that are not the price of a new house consider australian made Equinox Audio , Made in Richmond NSW http://www.equinoxaudio.com.au/

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    JSmithDTV likes this.
  12. Hi-end Head

Hi-end Head Member

Then we have tHis little gem

I'm not sure why your attempting to change the subject the OP, started the thread on.. Talk about , "can't win an arguement" so change it,

If you want to discuss cables / interconnects / etc. start another thread, but keep it civil and don't go off in a wild rate, about things you have very little knowledge off, and I might
    just accommodate you in a orderly discussion.

13. Holdenkicks

Holdenkicks Member

Hi end head, care to explain the difference between a multi channel integrated and an av receiver? Is that not the same thing?

14. deluxe

deluxe Member

Hey OP I see this thread is potentially turning into another audiophile rabbit hole (as these things sometimes do :lol:), here's a few last words, feel free to drop me a msg if you have specific questions.

• Simplest way to decode surround formats requires a receiver- connect your pc via HDMI, optical doesn't have the bandwidth for lossless 5.1
    • If you must buy new, get a Denon or Yamaha, set you back around $400-500
    • If you want two subs, you either need a receiver with two sub pre-amp outputs or a model of sub that does audio passthrough, so they can be daisy chained
    • You don't need expensive cable, just get stranded copper 16AWG will do. Adding inexpensive banana plugs yourself is easy
    • Whatever speakers you get it's ideal to have a listen first, almost everyone will accommodate this both retail and private

15. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Start with a nice stereo or 2.1 setup... build up from there.

I'd suggest having a look at Orpheus speakers in Sydney... amazing sound.

Eastwood HiFi regularly have some good package deals too, stock some great brands and are generally happy to negotiate.

AVR's can be known for cramming too much into one box. ;)

JSmith

Zee, Dalork and GTR27 like this.
  16. GTR27

GTR27 Member

Your response is exactly what i expected. "I'm not trying to act superior, but here is what is definitely superior". Its a behavior that frequents your posts that i'm sure a lot of others in the forum notice. Of course there are bigger and better things out there. But you're getting into the realms of audiophile craziness, not what someone who has asked about spending $2k on a HT setup. This IMO is the biggest problem with audiophiles. Suggestions that always extend double or more than what people are asking for, and dismissing anything in their price range. There's always that bit more you can spend on each component that is "totally worth it" and in the end you will start spending ludicrous amounts, and justifying each insane purchase as being "better". Your response then attempts to discredit me based on "i have no idea on size" which has absolutely NOTHING to do with discussions about a $2k HT package. So how about instead of coming in high and mighty (which by the way, you're not - some serious dunning kruger effect going on here) offer realistic suggestions and keep the audiophile thoughts back until people ask for more detail. This is after all a computer forum, not stereo net.

Eastwood hifi a good suggestion, they do good deals on packages.

EDIT: As above, if you can start with a decent 2.1 setup, then you can slowly progressively upgrade.

FuzwaldQO and flu!d like this.
  17. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

This might be a good package to suit your needs @EastwoodHiFi although I'd bump up a model or two on the AVR there;

System 7:
    Package consists of :Yamaha RX-V485 AV Receiver x 1 unitYamaha NS-555 Loudspeakers x 1 pairYamaha NS-C444 Centre Speaker x 1 unitYamaha NS-333 Surround Speakers x 1 pairYamaha NS-SW300 Subwoofer x 1 unit Price : $2,298.00

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

He has some cracking deals on atm from what I can see;

https://www.eastwoodhifi.com.au/specials-speakers.htm

That Monitor Audio package looks great for the price.... haven't heard those triangle speakers. The Martin Logan's sound nice FWIR.

JSmith

18. Hi-end Head

Hi-end Head Member

I replied with the following statement
    Realistically, With your low budget , you might be better of looking for something used / demo / 2nd hand, and then up-grading each single
    Component, as finances allow.

Just how is that attempting to drive the costs up.. It's what we have done at some point in our lives,

I really think I answered that above. No where have I discussed price

Equally that also applies to your opinion of your Timberwolf speakers.. Which would blow the OP's budget in one go. ?The OP asked for a full packege. He has two grand to spend, A package is really the only way to go, IF he's considering new. Used / demo can be a mine field if your not sure what your buying, and the big question is, "why is the seller selling", if it's so wonderfully in the first place. To me used is the 0nly way to go, with. With prices being better then half. Deprecation is a terrible thing for the seller, and a bonus for the buyer.

19. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Are you still crapping on about 25w 2ch amplifiers made of wood and stupidly expensive speakers filled with concrete? Not everyone wants or needs absolute high end gear - In fact once you hit that territory it's definitely the law of diminishing return.

Geezus.

20. Hi-end Head

Hi-end Head Member

The big problem with Receivers is that have kicked most of the features out, and we are reduced to a row of HDMI connections and a few speaker terminals. In most cases the power supply just fits the purpose. and of cause they come with vastly over stated output figures But they do the job and Jo Average will up date when the new model arrives in 6 to 8 months time. These things are churned out by the factory in there thousands, Production cost amount to twenty dollars or so. And people expect them to run 5 , 7. or 9 speaker systems.. Keep telling yourself it works..
    But if someone want's some thing with a more friendly universal use then really the only answer is seperates. i.e Pre / power, Of cause the price does go up considerably, The question is do you spend a small amount and continue to up-date when new models come out or spend a lot and keep it for 20 years. As I said Yamaha are on the right track,,But have a long way to go to equal Trinnov or Adcom.

A good while ago I looked at a 5.1 system . and acquired a Rotel 1075, five channel power amp for under thousand dollars.. I needed a Pre that would not only do 5.1 but have a full set of pre-outs, Plus "Direct In" for analogue SACD I settled on a small Cambridge Audio Preamp. The total cost of the hardware was close to 1600 dollars. So it can be done on a budget.. Of cause people will still moan that it does not fit in the cabinet.