1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Speccing PC for many layer digital art in Photoshop.

Discussion in 'Graphic Design & Digital Art' started by vladtepes, Mar 15, 2022.

1. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

A bloke I know needs a new editing PC, he says.

Let's assume for the moment he wants a PC not Apple.

He does graphic design - very detailed drawings with MANY layers in photoshop.

(He also does some video editing, livestreaming via discord and stuff like that),

Obviously I'll clarify resolution, number of layers, file sizes etc with him but meanwhile I am tryin gto work out what might be the key things to look at.

I've only really been following team AMD recently but am absolutely open to suggestions from team green too.

CPU - I was thinking something like a AMD Ryzen 5 5600X but if there is a worthwhile benefit to another 2 cores then consider a AMD Ryzen 7 5800X.

Mobo - (assume for now DDR4) I'm not sure if there are certain mobos better than others for this sort of work? A B550 of some sort I presume. (I don't know if there is any benefit in this use case for an x570, other than availability of 3 or 4 m2 slots - a luxury rather than a necessity for sure.

GPU - am pretty sure that the graphics card makes little difference as long as it meets recommended spec and over-spending there is a waste of $. Certainly I gather CPU performance is much more important. It's pretty likely he can continue to use his existing GPU

RAM - a minimum of 32GB here and possibly 64GB.

Future 'proofing'. He's not the kind of guy that wants to upgrade regularly for the sake of it. Productivity is the focus for him. So he'll want something that will keep him going for say another 5 years without needing a major upgrade.

I'm thinking that there is no real need for him to spec a new DDR5 system and that a DDR4 system will be more than adequate, and better value for money.

Oh and ideally from somewhere that can do the build at a reasonable cost too. PC Case Gear perhaps?

Input / thoughts / advice / experience welcome.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2022
  2. Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

Storage is probably one of the most important things to consider for Photoshop/Lightroom. A good big and fast scratch disk will dramatically improve PS/LR performance.

vladtepes likes this.