1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Spice Rack

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by x0nt, Oct 26, 2009.

1. x0nt

x0nt Member

I'm looking for a fairly sturdy, yet standalone (due to rental property) spice rack that can hold a bucket load of spices.

I found one which you can only seem to buy directly from masterfoods:
    http://masterfoods.com.au/Giftshop/tabid/124/Default.aspx
    The Country Classic Spice Rack Style C is the one I am looking at.

However, i'm not sure that it's value for money, considering the size and the fact I'd have to use the small standard sized bottles you buy at the supermarket.
    I'd rather buy my spices in a bit more bulk and have larger canisters, but I guess then I'd be taking up half my kitchen.
    FYI: I currently have 25+ spices and seem to go through some of them fairly quickly.

I've searched petersofkensington and other online stores and many local cooking shops. However they either have crappy metal prong ones that need to be screwed into the wall/door, or, smaller (16 or less) crappy wooden ones.

What other options are there?

2. pugsley

pugsley Member

Thought of building one? $20-$30 worth of materials from Bunnings and you would be set. They are not hard to construct and if you do build it yourself you can have it how you want it.

3. caspian

caspian Member

in my experience those vertical racks are a pain in the arse unless you can screw or stick them to something to stop them toppling forward.

I just went to the local $2 dumping store and bought a heap of these style jars: http://recandles.com/wholesale/images/flip_top.jpg (ignore the fact this one has a candle in it :Paranoid:) got ones about 12cm high and 6cm diameter for $1 each. combine with a timber lazy susan from Bunnings for about $20, chuck on top of fridge, win.

I do quite a bit of Indian cooking and I can get spices for a tiny fraction of that supermarket rubbish, and much better quality too.

4. pugsley

pugsley Member

Yeah buying from an actual spice merchant is always a pleasure. You know the stuff is fresh and hasnt been sitting in a jar for a few years before it gets to you.

5. OP
    OP
    x0nt

x0nt Member

I had sort of tried to ignore the concept of building my own as I don't have any building tools at my place (all back at the olds).

However perhaps just stacking some large and small canisters on the bench will suffice.

No-one has suggested any off the shelf products...? Does everyone use their own custom built racks??

6. mrs dan77

mrs dan77 Member

I live in a rental, and the kitchen came with it's own shelves above the counter. Not ideal, as it still gets the light, but I can easily fit the 45 or so spices I have on 1 of those shelves.
    Can you just put up 1 of those stick-on shelves?

I guess if you got one of those racks that you were looking at, then you could just refill the jars with packets of spices each time you empty them. It does look like a pain to get them out each time though.

7. pugsley

pugsley Member

In a rental here too. I got mine from Bunnings, pretty sure its meant to be a shower rack. It has 4 shelves on it and its attached to the wall in my pantry by a couple 3kg 3M adhesive hooks. Does the job nicely.

8. bl4ck32

bl4ck32 Member

Ive got a similar setup as caps with the mrs...have a shelf in the pantry devoted to spices in sealed containers. Just go grab what i need when i need it, keeps them in a cool dark place so they dont go to crap.

We like to buy what we dont grow in bulk too...much better than overpriced tiny stale jars.

9. caspian

caspian Member

I tend to buy in either 250gm or 500gm bags depending on how much of it we get through. the rest gets sealed with either rubber bands or these things and it goes into a spice stash box that lives in the bottom of the pantry.