Spiced Nuts and Maple Bacon

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by Oppressa, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Oppressa

Oppressa Member

First let me say I forgot to take final pics of them in the bowl! :( I was so keen to get them out on the table haha. But the shots below show the final nut and bacon products separately. This was my first attempt and I think the cooking time for the nuts could be extended slightly. Just keep an eye on them and not that larger nuts eg cashews do take slightly longer to toast through.

Makes 2 cups, active time 15 minutes, total time 30 minutes

2 cups mixed raw nuts
    1 large egg white, lightly beaten
    2 tablespoons firmly-packed dark brown sugar
    1 tablespoon sea salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
    1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
    4 slices bacon
    1 tablespoon maple syrup

Preheat the oven to 175°C.

Put the nuts in a bowl and add the egg white. Toss to coat the nuts evenly.
    In another bowl, stir together the brown sugar, salt, cumin, cinnamon, cayenne, and ginger. Add the spice mixture to the nuts and toss again to coat evenly.

Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Scrape the nuts onto the prepared pan and spread in a single layer. Bake, stirring often to break up any clumps, until the nuts are lightly toasted, 20–30 minutes. Using a spatula, transfer the nuts to a plate and spread them in a single layer to cool. Leave the oven on and reserve the parchment-lined baking sheet.
    Brush the bacon slices with the maple syrup and arrange in a single layer on the reserved baking sheet. Bake, turning once, until crisp on both sides, about 30 minutes total.

Transfer the bacon to paper towels to drain. Let cool, then break into small pieces. In a serving bowl, toss together the bacon and the toasted nuts, then serve.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Muskstick

Muskstick Member

Sounds simple and delicious, two of my favourite things.

I'll try it out some time and let you know how it went.

3. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

Front page! :)

And well deserved too, this sounds like possibly the most delicious sweet/savoury snack ever. I'll be filing this one under "must try".

4. RETARD

RETARD New Member

hey!
    nice nuts :D
    look forward to making these :thumbup:

5. OP
    OP
    Oppressa

Oppressa Member

Be sure to take some pics! And roast the nuts for however long until they are as toasted as you like them. I even retoasted them for another 20 minutes or so a day or 2 later to make them even darker.