Spintel unlimited is not unlimited

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Chamelion, Jun 23, 2012.

1. HumbleBum

HumbleBum Member

Its not uncommon, a complaint to the TIO will see you turfed off. I would be interested to see what the TIO say however.

Just need Telstra to offer 1 TB and ill be happy. ;)

2. iSTELTHYi

iSTELTHYi Member

Why offer an 'unlimited' plan if they dont want to honour it?

I should start an ISP if you can just take peoples money and not give the product you sold them.

3. caspian

caspian Member

yes, that's why the market for an "unlimited" service is fucked.

ever wonder *why* the word "unlimited" is now demonised? because people can't see it without abusing it, and providers can't offer a service without some form of cost control.

result: customers whinge, ISPs do what they have to do to stay in business, "unlimited" grows horns, everyone loses. all for a few leeches, who are the first ones to complain that they can't get away with leeching any more. well done.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  4. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

as i have said before. why offer truly unlimited (no throttling and no capping) if you cannot do it at the price you are offering? if they want to charge more for it. then go ahead. if people want truly unlimited. then they will pay for it.

5. iSTELTHYi

iSTELTHYi Member

So offer a 1TB plan, or a 2TB plan, or a 3TB plan......

People dont like being lied to!

6. OP
    OP
    Chamelion

Chamelion Member

No, to sumarise I changed from a 20gb plan to a 500gb plan. A few months later the ISP (Spintel) AUTOMATICALLY switched ME from the 500gb plan I had chosen onto an "unlimited" plan. They did this because they chose to change said 500gb plan to unlimited. I was not given a choice in the matter nor was I advised that there would be an AUP attatched.

Churning.. Picking cheap, high data allowance and a dodgy ISP. $29 churn fee, no contract, little to lose and an extra month to find someone better if said dodgy ISP is too dodgy.

The fact I'm leaving doesn't change the fact that what they've done is wrong. Customers should have been notified, warned and at least given a chance to comply with an AUP they (and I) knew nothing about.

The fact that so many people have been caught off guard about this is proof that Spintel didn't adequately exlain what would constitute reasonable usage.

How can 550-650gb* be considered too much when the plan WAS 500gb before they changed it to unlimited. :thumbdn:

*People are getting the ass for using around this much. Said people were also on the 500gb plan before it changed to unlimited.

I hope I have been clear enough this time...

7. lennyc

lennyc Member

From memory the TIO will charge the ISP $50.00 and give them ten days to sort it out with the customer. If they don't sort it out in ten days they will then get involved with a further charge of $150? to the ISP.

The customer can not possibly comply with an AUP in the contract, if it is not defined and tools made available which the customer can set to ensure compliance.

Here is an expressway with no speed limit however the top 10% of those traveling above the average speed of the traffic will be fined. These calculations will be done at the end of the day with the results kept secret.

8. OP
    OP
    Chamelion

Chamelion Member

Very nice analogy.

9. caspian

caspian Member

rubbish analogy, because the fact remains that the option is always open to just stick to the speed limit, or in your case, the 500GB mark. your complaint is effectively that you don't know how far you can push your luck past that without getting busted.

pardon me if I don't have a lot of sympathy there.

also, every ISP reserves the right to change the terms of their offer at any time. if you read the Whirlpool surveys, it's the biggest complaint that users have about their ISP's terms of service.

you're not going to change that. deal with it.

the fact remains that you will not get a premium product for a budget price, regardless of your expectations. go to Dodo by all means, you're the sort of customer that AUPs were written to deal with.

10. OP
    OP
    Chamelion

Chamelion Member

Again, there was never any mention by any method of correspondence from Spintel that there was an AUP in place when THEY AUTOMATICALLY MIGRATED THEIR 500GB PLAN USERS ONTO AN UNLIMITED PLAN.

I'm not sure I can make it any more clear...

How was I to expect that moving me from a 500gb plan onto unlimited came with the condition that I couldn't exceed that previous 500gb limit anyway? Boggles the mind.

11. s3kemo

s3kemo Member

i didn't think anyone actually thought 'unlimited' plans were truly unlimited.

i always considered it that 'unlimited' plans meant there was no fixed quota system with shaping, and it was more you're at the mercy of what they considered acceptable use (either internally or externally available definition). so far TPG have been good to me but i dont think i've ever topped a few hundred GB in a month...

"getting the boot" = being disconnected from the service by the ISP? ouch, but surely that stuff would be written down somewhere as a precautionary threat against plans of a shit ton of usage.

edit: surely this stuff is expected from cheap ISPs though. it's nothing new - advertise awesome services, then fuck you over with fine print. mobile carriers, ISPs, etc have been doing it forever. not sure why anyone is surprised when this happens

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  12. BBITS

BBITS Member

Chamelion you were on a 500GB plan so wouldnt an 'Unlimited' (that they forced you onto) be more than that?

Ok well you've basically answered that question in your previous post. P.S Hervey Bay is awful for ISPs

13. iSTELTHYi

iSTELTHYi Member

Its a great analogy. His theory said theres NO SPEED LIMIT, but the top 10% over the average are going to get a fine.

Its no different to the ISPs canning the top 10% of users who are above a certtain amount, of which they wont tell you.

If you do not want your customers to have unlimited, make set limit plans, its not that difficult a concept to grasp.

If anyone has demonised the word unlimited, its the ISPs who offer it, butyet dont offer it!

14. Davo1111

Davo1111 Member

have you got some advertising handy that specifically mentions "unlimited" but does NOT mention anything about fare use policy etc etc?

15. HumbleBum

HumbleBum Member

There is a AUP

http://www.spin.net.au/aup

Assume its the highlighted reason for disconnection.

16. James086

James086 Member

You are wrong, here's why:

The word unlimited has meant "without limits" since it was invented. If there is a limit on something then it's not unlimited. If you don't understand this then I suggest re-enrolment in primary school.

The market is "fucked" because ISPs offer services with limits while advertising them as unlimited. They lie to customers and then kick you out if you call them on it. If an ISP doesn't want someone to download a lot of data then they shouldn't have an "unlimited" data plan. They can't have their cake and eat it too.

A leech is a creature that lives off another without contributing in return (it's a parasite). The correct word for this relationship is symbiote since the customer pays money to the ISP in return for an internet connection. A leech would be someone who takes the connection without paying.

17. s3kemo

s3kemo Member

Since when has dictionary definition had anything to do with it? They define unlimited however they want to and use exclusions like HumbleBum posted.

previously unlimited meant xxxGB quota then shaped. that's still unlimited but they'll fuck with your speeds in the process. That was OK to do for years.

it's your fault for not reading the fineprint and then wondering why you get disconnected. HumbleBum's post shows it pretty clearly they can assume you are using it for illegal activities and disconnect you for it. If you're not (say, site-to-site replication... no idea why you'd do this on residential ADSL but anyway...) then you should be able to argue for that and get reconnected... if you were using the link for that level of quota for legitimate purposes..... ;)

18. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

the word unlimited applies to the internet connection.
    not the SPEED of the connection or even the DL limit :Pirate:
    thats the scam..your connection IS unlimited because instead of disconnecting you when you go over your limit they just throttle you or charge you exorbitant excess usage charges
    why is that so hard to understand? :confused:

tpg unlimited FTW! :thumbup:

19. jtir

jtir Member

I would never agree to that AUP, that they can refuse access based upon suspicion only.

20. James086

James086 Member

They shouldn't use the word unlimited because there are limits. It's lying. I am on a 100GB/month plan, I don't need more, but it pisses me off when a company lies to their customers.

I suppose Telstra should advertise their broadband as fibre optic.*

*fibre optic undersea cables, copper to the house
    It's not at all hard to understand, I have no difficulty grasping what they are doing. I am saying that they are lying in their advertising because they are calling it unlimited when it's not. There are limits (they stop providing the same service once you reach this limit).