Spintel unlimited is not unlimited

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Chamelion, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Davo1111

Davo1111 Member

sounds like they've got you.

You can't change companies if you want internet. so really all you can do is whinge/bitch at them in the hope they accept your complaint and ignore their fair use policy.

At the end of the day, you could try taking them to CTTT over the breach, but best case is you take up their time, and you get everything refunded. But that will leave you without internet.

2. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

AFAIK he was freed from those shackles a while ago ;)

3. caspian

caspian Member

I have not worked for Telstra for some time, no.

nor does working in the industry bias or define my point of view, what it does is give me a point of view derived from more than that of the consumer. as a matter of interest, how many other people have the sort of experience to render a similarly informed opinion?

I did better than that a long time ago. I got away from anything retail and now deal with the industry only, because industry personnel understand the score.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  4. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

That's a lie and you and I both know it :p

5. caspian

caspian Member

oh, I'm not suggesting everyone does, just that the percentage goes up significantly. I'm also talking about people who actually run stuff for a living, not helpdeskers.

example:

customer: my ping has gone up and I've got a raid on tonight, I can't game when I'm lagged, waaah! FIX IT!!

helpdesk: have you tried restarting your computer?

*escalates*

NOC tech: we're currently seeing a mild latency increase of around 20ms to end users in region x, seemed to start yesterday around 5:37pm. anything going on?

me: yeah, that site is in the protection circuit due a backhoe fade on the primary, you should have gotten an advisory about 7pm. there's a crew onsite, new section has been hauled in and splicing is underway, should be done an about 3 hours. we'll need to monitor the primary link for about an hour to check it's OK then we'll do a planned reversion to primary path, you'll see about a 50ms switch hit which won't drop any data sessions. would you like a call before we do the switch?

NOC tech: cool, yeah just found the advisory, thanks for that. if you could just call us after the switch and we'll check all OK from our end that will be fine.

me: no worries, talk to you then.

*NOC deescalates ticket*

customer: but... but... my ping has GONE UP and I've got a raid on tonight and IT'S THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN MY SAD LITTLE WORLD, I can't game when I'm lagged, waaah! I'm paying good money for this!1 FIX IT!! FIX IT NOW!!!!

this is why I don't talk to customers anymore.

1 - note that this user will invariably be on the paid-fuck-all-for-it Cheapskate's DelightTM plan at $29.95 a month.

6. biatch

biatch Member

"Unlimited" connections are a pain in the ass.
    No decent ISP offers them for a reason. They're loading up a network that just does not have the capacity to support that many users leeching 24/7.
    There are so many congested exchanges right now and the infrastructure is just not there to support shitty ISPs selling unlimited plans.

7. caspian

caspian Member

they also attract precisely the sort of user you don't want.

8. iSTELTHYi

iSTELTHYi Member

So why would ISPs offer it? If it doesn't make business sense to offer such a plan?

Thats right, because it does. Otherwise it wouldn't even be an option!

9. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

because "unlimited" sound so much better than "X" GB download limit.

10. iSTELTHYi

iSTELTHYi Member

but surely "x" GB sounds better than 'massive fine for false advertising' ;)

11. s3kemo

s3kemo Member

in Spintel's case it is unlimited if they don't believe (and you can prove) that it's for illegal purposes.

I don't think any ISP would offer you services if they *knew* you were going to use it for illegal purposes regardless of quota.

12. iSTELTHYi

iSTELTHYi Member

I lol'd. You're implying that ISPs think their customers are using it for legal purposes?

They know exactly what is going on, and they dont care, because they want your money. Anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional

13. slobber

slobber Member

Hey doesn't everyone dl over 200GB Linux iso's a month :confused:

14. f3n1x

f3n1x Member

I dont think i could consume 500gb worth of content in a month without quitting my job, are you guys digital pack rats or what?

15. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

HD midget pr0n takes a lot of space.

16. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

its all that damn linuses fault! :mad: cant they work out incremental updates or sumthin? :Pirate:
    challenge accepted??

17. OP
    OP
    Chamelion

Chamelion Member

They have extended the disconnection date to allow my churn to go through... Trying Dodo with the no contract option. Not expecting much more than a connection with poor speeds, anything else will be a bonus. $29 it's costing me gives me more time to find an ISP that better meeds my needs should my expectations of Dodo prove right.
    The main reason for this choice is that I am in a rental and my lease runs out in a few months. Too risky to get locked into a 12 month contract at this point in time. If Dodo are no good I can churn to someone else on a 12 month contract once I renew my lease. :)

18. damo13579

damo13579 Member

unlike the midgets that star in the films
    :cool:

19. iSTELTHYi

iSTELTHYi Member

I easily chew over 2TB of Motorsport stuff every month (counting upping stuff back to the community)

20. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

ftfy :weirdo: