Splitting Foxtel IQ into 2 Other Rooms

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by The Wiz, Jan 28, 2009.

1. The Wiz

The Wiz Member

We have Foxtel IQ in our lounge and want to split it into 2 bedrooms. It will be output on a total of 3 TV's.

I bought one of the Cocoon units from Dick Smiff which worked with very average picture quality the first time I set it up, but subsequently would not work after that in either of the rooms. I suspect too many walls and corners between the rooms was the problem. So that option has already been tried and I returned the units for a refund.

We've got a bit of electrical work that needs doing including getting a roof aerial and Ethernet ports put in for home networking and this will be done at that same time. So in other words a bit of electrical work isn't a problem.

I was originally thinking having either composite, or most likely component, cables put in to run from the lounge to the 2 bedrooms. However I was just thinking maybe if there is a decent video over Ethernet solution, this may be an option too as long as it doesn't end up costing a heap more.

So what are peoples thoughts/experiences with this kind of setup and what kind of equipment will I need, eg. video splitter/amplifiers.

2. Pugs

Pugs Member

you going to pay for the extra decoder boxes ???

if so just an easy job of getting RG-6 run with the networking cable... if not then you will need to find another way....

3. OP
    OP
    The Wiz

The Wiz Member

Which decoder boxes are u talking about? Do you mean the extra foxtel boxes as in multiroom?

I'd get a multiroom setup if I wanted that.

I want to run the IQ in the lounge to the other 2 TV's in the bedrooms.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  4. Ch4iS

Ch4iS Member

If you want the boxes controlled seperately you will need to rent another box and card from Foxtel.

There is a illigal way to do it but with the inital cost of the boxes and the cards I just dont think it is worth it (card sharing) as the official boxes from foxtel are around + $30 more to your monthly bill.

If you are just wanting to watch the same stuff on the other tv's cant you just splice the av input and wire it to the other tv's?

5. OP
    OP
    The Wiz

The Wiz Member

I don't need separate shows or anything like that on the other TV's, I simply want to have the same thing on all 3 TV's. The only thing the Foxtel has to do with it is the connectivity I'll need. I'm not wanting to rent extra boxes or anything like that.

I'll be getting a wireless transmitter for the remote so that's not a problem.

Forgeting the fact that it's for Foxtel, I want to send video from one room to 2 others, preferably over component. So what recommendations for that.

Now taking into account it is for Foxtel, what things will I need, eg. SCART to component cable, AV splitter/amp etc.

I want it done properly, not hacking up cables etc.

6. Joseph

Joseph Member

7. OP
    OP
    The Wiz

The Wiz Member

8. dazzawul

dazzawul Member

bingo, just run the required wires!

You'll need to find out what kind of wires you need for it though, its possible to get away with a couple of runs of cat 6 to patch it through the walls, but that's dodgy, talk to a cabler.

cheers lads

9. OP
    OP
    The Wiz

The Wiz Member

Cat 6? Wouldn't I be running some AV cables through?

10. broox

broox Member

http://www.avico.com.au/products/products.asp?qs1=1&qs2=236&qs3=1401&qs4=4058 (rrp $89.95)
    Something like this to run long distances? but get one that is component instead of S Video..

I can see one that will do component (got a catalog infront of me) but it only does video... no audio. :(

EDIT:
    looking into it more, there are wall plate adaptors that are component at the front, at the back of the plate there is Cat 5 connectors.
    you could run a seperate wall plate with just the audio perhaps. it would look schmick.
    (cant find them online - only in this paper calalogue i hve infront of me)

i guess with any of these it's easy enough to split the Cat 5 cable (inwall) to go to different rooms? thats not my field of expertiese tho :p

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  11. OP
    OP
    The Wiz

The Wiz Member

I'm thinking if I went down the Ethernet route I'd just get extra Ethernet ports installed in the wall and get a device like those to plug into it and then plug the component cables into that.

I was thinking that route so if I didn't need it in one room anymore I could remove it and put it somewhere else, sell it etc.

If I was to get wall plates with component connectors then I'd get component cables through the walls instead of Ethernet, as I'm sure they'd probably be a better idea to keep a good signal.

12. OP
    OP
    The Wiz

The Wiz Member

I've just realised I have another problem.

The TV the foxtel is currently connected to is old so only has composite.

The 2 other TV's im going to connect to are component.

I know there are 2 SCART outputs on the IQ but I'm guessing changing the settings on the IQ to output to component will change both of them to component.

Is there going to be a way to output composite to one TV and then component to the others?

13. alch

alch Member

Surely youve solved the problem by now.

Wireless A/V sender/receiver! ;p

14. kizzav

kizzav Member

I deal with the "I want to watch Foxtel in another room" questions at work all the time.

Solutions:
    RF Modulator - Foxtel output into modulator, converts composite RCA signal to RF signal, set a channel on the modulator, tune the channel (analogue, not digital) on the designated TV's, permitting that the modulator & TV's are all connected to a central splitter, every TV connected to the splitter & tuned will receive the Foxtel.
    Modulator (Mono)
    Modulator (Stereo)

Cat5 Baluns - Foxtel output into transmitting balun, run Cat5 between the transmitting balun & the receiving balun, output from receiver balun into TV etc.
    Cat5 Baluns (composite)
    Cat5 Baluns (component) - can't find on website, but do exist.

I wouldn't waste your time with a wireless AV sender/receivers.

15. hamishbindrinki

hamishbindrinki Member

You could just run some coax cable to each room and have the aerial output on the foxtel box feeding back through the wall to some sort of splitter. If your only using IQ then its not going to make any quality difference. Although you could say this is a messy solution, if and when you ever want to put boxes in the second and third rooms it would be a relatively simple procedure for the cabler to do.

16. kizzav

kizzav Member

The IQ's don't have the RF out any more. Purely on basis that Foxtel can make more money by selling you another box.

http://www.foxtel.com.au/discover/products-features/iq/iq-specifications/default.htm
    http://www.foxtel.com.au/discover/products-features/iqhd/iqhd-specifications/default.htm

17. Ch4iS

Ch4iS Member

If no one noticed the thread is 2 years old.

18. kizzav

kizzav Member

Other people wanting to do the same thing might now stumble across this thread, which now includes updated/recent information.

And no, I didn't notice the date.

19. hamishbindrinki

hamishbindrinki Member

20. ply-boi

ply-boi Member