Spyware "Red Shell" found in lots of PC Games

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by ADV, Jun 18, 2018.

1. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

images (14).jpeg

Your loss. Missing some great pc games!

2. cvidler

cvidler Member

You know what, no I don't miss it. Last thing I was keen on was Doom, and no surprises next thing I'm keen on is Doom. So I may build a standalone PC for that, but that too will be firewalled off of my network.

I go race cars instead these days, much more fun (much more $ too, but much more fun).

walker_2003 likes this.
  3. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Why not both? my mate has a (god forbid) internet facing PC with Assetto Corsa and he gets laser scanned Australian car tracks and practices on them using his HTC VIVE and steering wheel etc. Has an Rx8 in game and in real life and matched a lap time to within 2 seconds.. pretty cool and hits up meets knowing tracks better then others.

4. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

I tried PS4 GT Sports VR and got very sick after 1 min of playing. The motion sickness is unreal. Hits you so quickly too.

5. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Probly less so on a PC with higher frames, but its different for everyone. Even an ultrawide or 3 x 24 be fine for car sim.

6. OP
    OP
    ADV

ADV Member

I see it this way.

Business is always changing, and people (entrepreneurs) are always striving to take whats already out there and monetize it (like Palmer lucky (bleh) using VR tech to build virtual walls for Trump).

Companies like red shell are providing the building blocks for others to exploit. That is the problem, dangling those building blocks in front of smart but ultimately morally corrupt individuals will eventually give way to some bad #%! goin down.

So which way should the people go, reactive or proactive?

Just sayin....

7. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

Proactive but I think the only thing stopping companies from spying is through legislation and regulation. Business are only there to make money and so the only thing that will stop them is risk to that cash flow by way of substantial fines etc.

What I don't understand is, why was this was even kept a secret? Why didn't the gaming studio's just declare it? Walker2003 has proven that there are many people who don't care about this information being collected, which leads me to the one conclusion that they knew it was morally questionable but did it anyway.

8. havabeer

havabeer Member

Good luck, your boss is gonna know your Xbox account logged in on your sick days and fire you.

walker_2003 likes this.
  9. joerandom

joerandom Member

If you can't play xbox while you're at home sick your boss is a knob.

On topic, this is pretty bad, it's good it's getting some exposure and games developers are removing it, they need to understand the users won't put up with this shit.

10. zbone

zbone Member

It doesn't matter what users do. Those companies must be slapped with multi million dollar fines and go bankrupt if they are too small. This is the only thing that works as this is the only bloody thing that's considered by the board and shareholders.

cvidler likes this.
  11. Nerb

Nerb Member

Whats the problem here? No one uses a real name, age, or any personal detail online anyway, right? If you do, then thats the real problem. The only other problem is financial institutions, because you cant use fake data there.
    How does an insurance company/employer link a steam account with a customer/employee? Is it simply matching a name/dob? The things that would never match? Or is it matching an employee sick day pattern to an address tracked from an ip associated with a steam id?

walker_2003 likes this.
  12. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

*SIGH* Australian META data is available to... well we don't know. So lets assume that the Australian Government is letting questionable people access the data that then on sell name and IP activity, match the IP addresses with datetime activity and you match name and steam ID, once you have that you can then match steam ID activity to associated person and its associated stats, and match those with any data source that matches the person. Now matching John Smith is a little more difficult so they use the fonts as 1 unique fingerprint, now lets add data from facebook, twitter, twitch, google yada yada... all tracked to IP and its pretty bloody simple.

cvidler likes this.
  13. Perko

Perko Member

Most of my employees are friends with me on Steam... I'll get 'em.

14. Nerb

Nerb Member

Which name does the government metadata get? Internet provider account holder I assume? Is the address associated with that the PO Box listed on the account or the physical address that the modem is located at? The name difference on the steam ID account is ignored and they match an ID to which name again? And what if multiple steam ID's are used...ie dad, and each kid? And which FB account? Off which computer? If there is multiple mac addresses, do they assume a mac for an individual from the premesis? Can they tell which apartment it is in the building without physically looking at the modem? Geez, it seems like a big ask for my employer to use this mass of soft linked data to dock my pay or for my insurer to up my insurance.
    Sure, in some cases it might be incredibly simple for an employer to google search an employee and see their facebook post at the beach and sack them, but, conspiracy theories aside, surely this data is only useful to display targeted adverts?
    Also, I really dont understand the font thing. Surely every windows 10 computer has the same fonts?

15. Perko

Perko Member

Localisation with different languages etc just for starters.

16. Nerb

Nerb Member

lol... thats the best way to monitor employees! Im intimately involved with all of my employees. They spill the bean all the time!
    That makes sense for sending ads to a computer in the correct language.

17. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

https://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/2...-effect-and-heres-what-you-need-t_a_22037910/

https://digitalrightswatch.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/State-of-Digital-Rights-Web.pdf
    Just waiting for a data breach for the too late to do anything brigade complain.

18. cvidler

cvidler Member

Some apps will install their own fonts too, websites you go to can download their own fonts, if your a designer you may have a big library of fonts. And it's all sent by your browser to any web server you visit.

if it wasn't a useful way of identifying computers they wouldn't use it.

19. Nerb

Nerb Member

Dont get me wrong, I think we should complain. Im paranoid enough to use different names and dob's on every account I hold and use a vpn. Im just wondering how realistic is it that an employer can just have a look at what you do on your days off.
    Oh, and this...
    What do we have to do to register as a journalist? Seems like a funny exclusion.

20. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

There are services already that exist to rate people based on their social media profile and what they have posted, not only do they rate suitability for position but suitability and likely hood for credit. Once additional information is available either through legal channels or leaked illegal methods they will be added.