Squad

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by damo13579, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Rainey

Rainey Member

Did you bind it as toggle or hold? I don't have any issues and I have prone bound to Ctrl.

Performance is very much improved lately with Squad, but I really don't like the direction of the art style any more. Before v8 the maps looked realistic, dull, dusty and gritty, with long draw distances etc. The soldier uniforms camouflaged nicely into them if you considered your approach. Since v8, everything is much more colourful and there are some more ambient mist and environmental effects which make Squad look more 'gamey'. Many of the factions now have uniforms that are inconsistently blended with the rest of the art style which leads to some soldiers appearing dark and silhouette like against the environment, not just because of the direction of the sunlight. Hopefully they fix this in the next patch because it is such a shame to not be concealed in long grass or fields anymore. Squad is a pigeon shooter right now.

2. Rainey

Rainey Member

Had a good session on Squad last night. Feel like I'm at peace with the game again. :lol: I made a little montage of the action:

3. Rainey

Rainey Member

Squad is now at v8.9. Latest release added mounted rockets on the Technical for militia and some bug fixes/optimizations. I think they've improved some of the lighting and performance yet again, and servers now support up to 80 players.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

http://media.joinsquad.com/2016/Nov/NovemberRecap/recap_3PAO.mp4 - New third person animations
    http://media.joinsquad.com/2016/Nov/NovemberRecap/1p_Jumping.mp4 - Vaulting and running animations
    http://media.joinsquad.com/2016/Nov/NovemberRecap/1p_Intro!.mp4 - Sighting animations

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  4. shizmo

shizmo Member

Got this over the weekend. Few very memorable moments already while trying to learn the mechanics.

This game has a pretty good future.

5. Rainey

Rainey Member

Alpha 9 inbound tomorrow! :D Feature preview: http://joinsquad.com/readArticle?articleId=147

I have been playing A9 on the Beta branch since yesterday while they have the public help them squash some gamebreaking bugs. So far the update is looking promising. It brings in a whole new vehicle ecosystem (inc. US Stryker and Motorbikes for INS) which will give the insurgent and militia forces some competitive firepower against US and Russian army's. The graphics have had a nice buff with new lighting layers and effects, and some map expansions (Gorodok now 8x8km, Yehorivka now with some new flags). New game mechanics now involve FOB's requiring squad leaders to place a radio and then build and supply a HAB (Hesco Bunker) before respawning is possible - but now within the relative safety of not being spawn killed. Sounds also got some attention, some new sound reverb and travel effects and weapon sounds. Overall extremely cool stuff on the horizon for this already awesome 'milsim'. I took some shots from Admin cam last night while checking out some of the new areas.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And another short V8 video for good measure:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  6. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

This game is free play at the moment in Steam until Sunday. Installing now and giving it a go :thumbup:

It should be ready soon
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  7. r8response

r8response Member

Seems like an alright game. Aussie servers are full of 200-1000ms players lagging the shit up though.

8. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Not a bad game for alpha, runs pretty well considering. It definitely takes some patience, teamwork, and comms definitely required. Ended the game a bit early due to tkers, to be expected because of free weekend.

9. kthomp37

kthomp37 Member

10. Rainey

Rainey Member

Yep! Al Basrah free weekend in Squad. Had some good fun introducing some of the noobs to the game mechanics. Hope everyone is having a good time with the game.

I made another quick kill montage again.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  11. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

Thanks for posting about the free weekend. Might see if my internet will behave and give it a go. BF1 has almost killed gaming for me. Something like this could get me back into gaming.... or not but worth trying.

EDIT: Just logged into steam and saw it was 50% off. Bought it. Looking forward to learning and playing a new game.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  12. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Not a bad game. Had a few goes, will wait a bit more and see what's the community like locally. I only saw 3 servers max local that were populated. Pretty raw, which is good, definitely far from the gung ho hero zergrush game most games tend to be. Run's very well @ 1440p on EXTREME settings and it seems to avg around 90fps for me. Dips to 70 sometimes, or sometimes goes up to 120fps. Only thing that bugs me is the jittery movement of the optic sight when aiming. Other than that, game is looking really good. :thumbup:

13. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

Yeah I played badly for a couple of hours and lost track of time so that was good.

Not sure of fps but 1440p maxed was smooth (afternurner didn't want to theow the overlay up). Only running a i3 7350k @47x in the gamer currently so it may have been wanting more cores.

14. terroristone

terroristone Member

for $20 i'll give it a look.

15. Rainey

Rainey Member

I had the jittery scope for a while on my old GTX 780 but once I upgraded to a GTX 1080 it ironed out that issue so I guess it is somewhat FPS bound.

Glad you guys are jumping in. For anyone interested I play as "[TAS] Rainey"

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  16. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Odd, considering my fps is relatively acceptable at 90+ @ 1440 Extreme. I'll see if others have posted in other forums about a fix.

17. Rainey

Rainey Member

Try turning on all of the post processing effects, including motion blur.

18. terroristone

terroristone Member

so i found a bit of time to give this a look, spawned, ran for a few k's to find the action. got shot and had to wait 45 seconds for respawn. ran again...and pretty much said fuck this shit, cant spawn anywhere near anything and have to spend 5 minutes holding W to get anywhere....not sure i'll give it another go unless someone here can convince me.

T1

19. OP
    OP
    damo13579

damo13579 Member

had a few good games over the last few weeks. people are definitely working together a bit better than they were this time 12 months ago.

heres a very good example as to why you should always check your mag is loaded before rushing somebody: https://gfycat.com/IncredibleVigilantAnteater :lol:

20. SpicEwEazle

SpicEwEazle Member

Squad is not for you.