Squad

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by damo13579, Apr 16, 2015.

1. 605jimmy

605jimmy Member

It sucks. One server is always full at nights and is a long wait to get into. Would be enough plays to spread into 2 servers.

Cons I find
    - I love the big maps but hate the long runs/walks sometimes. Seriously spend half the time of the round doing it.
    - there is no upgrade/rewards system like BF2 or the like. Players should be rewarded for playing and doing certain tasks/accomplishment. Weapons upgrades and the like should be available and customisable.
    - all kits not being available until 4 or so are in your squad.

It's a work in progress I understand. It's been in Alpha for what near 2 yrs? And will continue to be for how long? Not dissing the game, would love it to be successful as I haven't played hardcore hours since the BF2 days. Did play some BF3/4 but gameplay didn't interest me. Squad is the one that has brought me back to gaming and I hope it continues to go in the right direction.

Chek Chamber likes this.
  2. AxlOz

AxlOz Member

So I've been finding some of the west coast US servers are good to join. My ping is always around 180-200 sorta thing, which in many games would be unacceptable, but it seems to still work fine in Squad. I've had some good games on there, will be back for more! The 1 and only AU server is always a good time, but constantly being in a queue of 15 people is just BS - we need more servers..

I've since uninstalled BF4 - which was my go-to shooter for ages. It just seems so amateur by comparison..

3. 605jimmy

605jimmy Member

There is more servers in Aus. Click show empty servers and you will see there is around 5 or so. Everyone just populates the one server when there would be enough to run 2 full servers on a Friday/Saturday night.

4. AxlOz

AxlOz Member

ah ok, I'll check that. We must only just have enough players at any one point in time to fill a server - or just over, but not 2.. Hopefully the community grows coz its a great game, so immersive. The sounds in it are amazing also.

5. SpicEwEazle

SpicEwEazle Member

Finally bought this last night, on the steam sale. On the first start it opened in 1600*900 windowed ; adjusted the resolution to 1080 and fullscreen, all good. Go to join a match and it hangs (just squad mind you, not all of windows) and no matter what I try I can't force squad to close, so I end up having to restart my pc. Not an auspicious start, haha. I'll give it another try tonight.

6. SpicEwEazle

SpicEwEazle Member

V10 just dropped.

7. AxlOz

AxlOz Member

Is it the actual v10 or is it still the opt-in trial that started a few days ago?

edit - just read on Steam that yes, its now official, V10 is here.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  8. AxlOz

AxlOz Member

oh btw - for anyone who hasn't bought Squad yet, its on a 50% off deal through Steam right now.

9. the_antipop

the_antipop Member

Group of mates which play PUBG together have jumped on the Squad bandwagon with the 50% off. Interesting to see what they think, compared to PUBG...

10. AxlOz

AxlOz Member

PUBG looks interesting but I've only watched a few games online, haven't played it myself.
    I'd say the key differences are that Squad forces team work and some discipline for the team to be effective, whereas PUBG seems to be more the lone-gun/guerilla type thing - albeit that people can work together.
    Personally I prefer the military context of Squad so I bought that.. Either way, hope to see you guys on the Squad servers - I go by the name of 'Stax'.

11. adz

adz Member

I bought it on sale the other day, still haven't had time to play it, a buddy of mine says it's awesome and has pretty much stopped playing everything else, so I dare say I'll have to take a look at it sooner rather than later.

12. SpicEwEazle

SpicEwEazle Member

It's awesome, but the learning curve is steep

13. adz

adz Member

I'm led to believe it sits between Arma and Battlefield?

14. bart5986

bart5986 Member

As a newbie myself I find its much closer to Arma.

The learning curve of understanding how to play in your team properly is basically Arma

Its been a while since I've played but I remember teammates being very helpful in explaining what to do and where to go.

Without that you will very likely go into an existing situation/plan and get yourself killed or reveal your position.

adz likes this.
  15. SpicEwEazle

SpicEwEazle Member

Hmm, maybe.

There is no inventory like arma, however there are criteria that must be met to obtain any given kit.

There is no spotting (sl can drop map markers) - you will need comms and you will need to call out your targets ( and landmarks)

Team work is essential, as many functions can only be preformed by the SL (building fobs etc)

Identifying targets is often difficult, especially without optics

Death comes quickly and often without warning

adz likes this.
  16. SpicEwEazle

SpicEwEazle Member

I just read your post, those "cons" are more or less what makes SQUAD, SQUAD. Weapon upgrades/unlocks etc are the antithesis of SQUAD's design goals.

It's not a recreation of bf2, it's a recreation of project reality, albiet somewhat more lenient on some gameplay aspects.

17. FatBoy

FatBoy Member

Got around to buying this game during the last 50% off sale. It took a bit of tinkering to get it running ok FPS wise and I do hope the final is a bit more optimised :)

Anyone that has been thinking about getting this game and not sure... Get it! I'm having a fair bit of fun although it has been a super steep learning curve. It's quite an unforgiving game, it sometimes feels like you die for no reason and traversing the map on foot for ages to only die can be frustrating. Upside, the teamwork needed to be successful in this game is rather satisfying. I've never been a gun shot in any first person shooter game, but there is always a role to fill in Squad and that means I can contribute.

18. FatBoy

FatBoy Member

Still struggling to get visuals on enemies early. Any tips?
    People literally have to be on top of me to see them:(

19. AxlOz

AxlOz Member

Try and read the situation before entering it. Other than that, find a good squad leader, tell them you're new, and follow their instructions.
    I found it good to use a medic kit when I first started as I was getting nailed all the time, so being a medic gave me something I could do well and help the squad!
    Don't bother with optics and marksman kits, or LAT kits, until you have your basic infantry skills together.

20. OP
    OP
    damo13579

damo13579 Member

rest of the squad will usually love you for going medic (not sure why people avoid the class, i enjoy it) and it gives you a good excuse to hang back a little when shit gets hectic