SS Dicky Sat morning sunrise

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by ApathyGates, Mar 21, 2011.

1. ApathyGates

ApathyGates Member

Ok, pre-story. At 10pm Friday night, I decided to go to the Dicky wreck on Saturday morning to catch the sunrise. Even though the weather forecast wasn't too crash hot, I was determined.

Due to living 120kms away from the destination, I figured out I'll need to leave at 3am to arrive at 4.30am before the sunrise. As it was already 10pm, I figured out that it would be pointless to go to sleep, as I'd never wake up to the alarm no matter what.

Around 2am, I was getting very tired. No amount of gameplay or TV was keeping me interested. Come 2.45am, I decided to have a shower, mainly to keep myself alert. After that, I brewed the most potent coffee ever devised by man. 3am - I headed off.

It was drizzling on the Gateway. It was drizzling on the North Coast. I wasn't impressed.

At 4.30am (just like my GPS said it would take) I arrived on Bell Street at Dicky Beach and it was a very light drizzle with a small amount of wind. It was still pretty dark, so I had a small walk around outside to get a feel of the weather.

4.40am the rain stopped. I was wrapped. I grabbed my gear and an umbrella, walked down the small pathway to the beach, then about 20 meters to the wreck. Plonked myself down in the sand and setup the tripod, 550D, 10-22mm, wireless trigger and Cokin Ngrad 8 stop filter. Within about 10 minutes, I was joined by several other people I didn't know who also had cameras. Anywho - my result.

[​IMG]

Canon 550D 10-22mm ISO200 30sec F4.5 - 5.33AM

After that, I packed up and started the drive back. Honestly, I don't remember going over the Gateway bridge. People - driving tired is bad.

2. lothloriel

lothloriel Member

tis nice:)

3. aParis

aParis Member

Nice shot mate, nice colours balance

4. two40

two40 Member

worth the effort. :thumbup:

5. CapnBloodbeard

CapnBloodbeard Member

I reckon. It feels very serene, like its the only place on Earth.

I daresay that's how it felt at the time too - well worth the trip!

6. Goobers

Goobers Member

should have given us a heads up, dicky is just down the road from my place...

silly Brisbane people always wanting to go it alone, son im disappoint.

7. [OutCast]

[OutCast] Member

Its a good shot - I've got one almost the same. However I would say it breaks a "rule" in that the horizon is almost directly through the middle (same as mine).

If I was to take the shot again I would divide in 3rds... and focus down to the sand and waves.

8. Mickatroid

Mickatroid Member

That's what the rule of thirds is for. I really like the way the horizon appears to be a sharp crease in the image. It really draws attention to the more organic shapes in the picture and gives it a great deal of depth.

It also draws attention to the connection of colour and pattern that the water has with the sky. Very nice.

I like the black bars top and bottom. I will try that myself I think ;)

Edit: Did you do something to the curve of the horizon? It is so flat!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  9. Dave2972

Dave2972 Member

That is a bit of a tough shot to call as the shot is cropped and resized.

I do tend to try for the "thirds" even if some of my "thirds" are a bit obscure sometimes. E.g. in a house shot I might use the rain guttering of the house for my thirds instead of the top of the roof line of the house, depends on how close I am and what I want to emphasize.

Back to the OP's shot, while the horizon is not on the thirds, the left hand edge of the wreck is pretty much on for the vertical thirds of the shot presented.

Nice shot, never the less.

10. ali1988

ali1988 Member

I love this shot, there's something enchanting about it. The more i stare at it the better it gets. Only problem is i'm on a 19" monitor at 1600x1200 so it's very small and difficult to see any detail on the wreck. Do you have a version that is a little larger? Doesn't have to be huge but even 1024x600 would be much, much better.

P.S. Also love the cinematic black bars, suits perfectly :thumbup:

11. OP
    OP
    ApathyGates

ApathyGates Member

My bad Goobers :D I always make my trips last minute things. I decided to go to Dicky on Friday afternoon on the train ride home, then was "umming" about it all night. Glad I didn't go to sleep, it was worth the sleep deprivation.

Ah, the original has more sand in it, but the amount of sky you see there. While the sand was untouched (no prints) I found it to be boring and taking up too much of the image. The crop cuts out a lot of the beach, I wanted to focus on the wreck, water and sky.

Actually no. Only thing I did was rotate the entire image 4 degrees to compensate for an uneven tripod, plus the crop to remove sand. I was at the full 22mm zoom though. The black bars are just there to give it some "panoramic feel" even though it's not.

12. OP
    OP
    ApathyGates

ApathyGates Member

Here's the larger version: http://www.dionnewcomb.com/var/albums/Environment/Landscapes/IMG_3993.jpg

13. MotoJohnno

MotoJohnno Member

The clouds are far more interesting than the sky. I think you have done a great job framing. People are drawn to symmetry and you have managed to include that with the horizon through the middle. Though its still broken up enough by the wreck and clouds to be interesting.

There are a gazillion photos of this. Personally I think its one of the better ones.

14. morta11

morta11 Member

You are an idiot to be frank. Could have killed yourself and some other person on the road.