SSD issue on motherboard

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by SSgrasshopper, Aug 9, 2018 at 3:01 PM.

1. SSgrasshopper

SSgrasshopper Member

Hi Guys

I'm having some issues with me M.2 drives. I'm running an ASUS ROG Strix Z370-F Gaming Motherboard

M.2_1 Slot I have an Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD
    M.2_2 Slot I want to add a new M.2

I have added my old M2 which is a samsung here https://www.samsung.com/us/product/...rage&mdlUrlName=MZ-N5E250BW&pageUrlName=specs which is sata and it wont work in that slot.

Now looking at a new M.2 for slot 2 will this one work in that slot? https://www.pccasegear.com/products/42665/kingston-sa1000-m-2-nvme-ssd-480gb

as the MB info is [​IMG][​IMG]

2. miicah

miicah Member

A SATA M.2 SSD will work in an NVMe slot. They are the same.

3. OP
    OP
    SSgrasshopper

SSgrasshopper Member

yeah my current m.2 wont work in slot 2 well i cant get it working :(

4. Winterheart

Winterheart Member

Have you tried using the 970 on the M2 slot on the slot 2, then using the old samsung M2 sata in the slot 1? I know with my Asus Z370-I I can use a sata M2 in the primary slot on the front of the board, but can only use an NVME drive on the M2 slot on the back of the board. That being said, I ended up buying a second NVME drive because, why not lol :D

5. OP
    OP
    SSgrasshopper

SSgrasshopper Member

i was going to but seeing that m2 is under the heatsink and have to remove my gpu and sink i cbf :o as long as i get the right m2 for slot 2 i be happy :D

6. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

Get off your lazy bum and just put the old one in the slot that supports SATA. But yes, that Kingston should be fine.
    Totally false, M.2 is just a physical slot, what bus it connects to can be anything. NVMe is NVMe, SATA is SATA. You can even get M.2 slots that won't work with storage devices.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018 at 5:36 PM