SSD on Raid O, worth it

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by sandeep, Sep 19, 2013.

1. sandeep

sandeep Member

Considering SATA 3 only provides 6gb/s transfer rate, is it worth goign on two ssds on raid o?

Cheers

2. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

Worth "it"? Sure it is, in my case anyway. Depends how much your "it" is worth.

3. Dropbear

Dropbear Member

raid 0 is never worth it..

but you'll probably do it anyway...once.

4. jpasint

jpasint Member

Never, say never!!!

5. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

So long as you have good habits and understand that a RAID0 array is vulnerable, yes, I believe so.

[​IMG]

6. Gaidin

Gaidin Member

I love the performance bump of a couple of SSD in RAID0. Even worst case, the most I would lose from my daily PC is up to 24hrs worth of changes to my internet bookmarks or email...everything else is either moved to the NAS, rsynced to a backup box, or just software installs :D

7. issa2006

issa2006 Member

i found that more ssd in raid 0 help out warn n tear. makes ssd last longer , esp with the intel raid driver using a bit of ram to cache hdd etc

id rather 2x ssd in raid 0 the 1 big ssd

but i backup offen,,,,,

8. Deano_20802

Deano_20802 Member

It's almost mandatory from a curiosity point of view.

There are indeed benefits if you can live with the risks. It also depends on your usage.

After playing with a few setups I ended up going back to 1x SSD for OS/Programs etc and 1x SSD for games. Granted, I would like more, but it's not worth the increased risk (or too much money) to me at this point in time.

If you want speed, try playing with RAM Disks for laughs. I have zero interest in using them long term due to the volatile nature and fiddly setup, but it's sure fun to play with!

Regardless of the setup you end up using, back up thoroughly (especially off site), and often. :thumbup:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  9. rowan194

rowan194 Member

For desktop use you may not be able to notice that an application starts 50 milliseconds sooner than with a single drive. For a more "server" based workload the extra IOPS and risk may be worth it. I'm running 2 x 120GB SSDs in RAID0 for this reason, to beef up the IOPS rate for truly random access. The contents of the array are a copy of data that already exists (on another array of mechanical HDs) so a drive failure will not cause data loss... just serious inconvenience. ;)

10. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

It depends on your activity!

For an e-peni stroking "shit yea" ya gotta do it!!! but beware of increased DATA loss potential (quite rare to happen though)!!

For 95% of users you probably wont "realistically" notice any RealWorld difference between a single SSD and RAID0 SSD unless your using it for CAD, transcoding, PST, etc, etc.

If you have the bucks to throw around go for it but make sure you have a big storage that you grab the OS image from time to time and save to.

11. Dropbear

Dropbear Member

Where quite rare = near 100% for any real length of time

12. Dropbear

Dropbear Member

13. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

With the roll out of SATA3 SSD I don't do RAID0 anymore as I honestly don't see any point as "I will not see any difference" and things can and do go wrong. I have SATA3 HDD for mass storage and SSD for OS.

I have been able to rescue myself from 2xSATA2 HDD RAID0 when they were failing about 4 years ago by rebuilding the MBR via UBCD but it can become very anxious and uncomfortable until your back.

14. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

That shit usually never happens on a proper controller, but if you had an actual physical failure you'd be out of luck.

15. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I've built RAID10 SSD sets for media users. Quite tasty.