SSD Price Discussion

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by tfroggydawg, Jan 19, 2012.

Tags:
  1. ausduckz

ausduckz Member

I paid by CC at PCCG. Is it the CC company or PCCG that issues a refund if possible?

2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Two Sammy 970 drives just came through, so transferring everything now. Geez that Samsung data migration tool is pretty awesome.....source drive, destination drive.....START! Boom, 250Gig OS drive cloned in a couple of minutes.

Easy for OS drive but I have a 1TB M.2 I need to transfer so have to bring out an old sata drive, only two M.2 slots on the motherrboard.

3. museumman

museumman Member

on a plane with cocaine & yes im all lit up again

some credit cards do depending on which version u have. You'd have to look at the pds for your card to see. or ask the bank.

4. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I was watching a Gamers Nexus youtube vid earlier tonight in which it was predicted that SSD will be down to USD .08/GB in 2019. Currently a 500GB Crucial MX500 is at USD .24/GB, as are Samsung 950 Evo's (according to them). That will refer to Sata SSD of course, not NVME, but basically means current SSD storage will come down to 1/3 of the current price within a year, and they were confident this was a reality.

They have pretty reliable sources, I'm inclined to believe their prediction.

Mechless machines are rapidly becoming a genuinely viable choice.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Certainly not surprising if that did happen with the way they have plummeted in recent time.

6. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

Wasn't aware that existed. Handy to know.

I had True Image here and used that. Similarly painless. Confirm source/destination drives and go. Didn't get the speedy job completion you experienced of course, but you wuldn't expect to cloning a slow old 5400rpm drive to a USB-connected SATA SSD. Still, pleasantly surprised that it wasn't the excruciating job of yesteryear. Set it running, sat down to a brew and a snack, and it was time to swap drives over on the lappie by time I'd cleaned up afterwards.

Whoever said you can't successfully clone a drive without using a tool on bootable media? :D

7. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Well my other 1TB M.2 experience was quite a different story. Maybe I did it wrong but because I have only two M.2 slots on the motherboard and one was taken up for the OS, but transferring my 960 1TB M.2 (about 800Gig of data) to the new 970 1TB M.2 took around 5 hours. Of course it wasn't a straight transfer because as I say I only had one M.2 slot to use. So the process was using Macrium Reflect, making an image of the 960 sent to an older seagate 7200 2TB sata drive, take out the 960, put in the 970, and then send the image back to the 970.

One way transfer of 800Gig took 2 and a half hours, does that sound right? :confused: And of course another 2.5 hrs to transfer back. So the whole round trip copy transfer of ~800gig took about 5hrs. Seems a long time.....and doesn't sound right to me. I guess I'd have to look at the various transfer speeds, which I haven't done.

In any regard, a long process for the storage part of it, but all done now :thumbup:

8. OJR

OJR Member

Unless it's an OS drive why are you guys using migration software? Even if it is an OS drive, just do a clean install, your PC will thank you for it. Migration software is very hit and miss.

9. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

OS drive(s) here. Converting a couple of slow old laptops to SSD instead of mechanical. But, in theory at least, cloning software should work faster for data migration than file transfers do. Coz it's transferring sectors rather than buggerising about within a file system or somesuch.

But, regardless, the mentality of "Has to be a clean install coz it'll fix the machine up" should really be a thing of the past. Those days are gone. Unless, maybe, it's a machine which forever needs fixing up coz its operator is forever fucking it up.

Flawless migration here, by the way.

10. OJR

OJR Member

Winrot is still a thing unfortunately. Specially if you go through a few in place upgrades.

11. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

heh heh...

Someone musta forgot to tell my old lappies about that. They were shipped with Win8 installed, and haven't been wiped since. Running better nowadays than they did initially :D

OJR likes this.
  12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I probably should have gone the cloning route, would have been quicker. Oh well.

13. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

Anyone had any issues with the Samsung Migration wizard not allowing one to select a drive? I've got 2x Sara & 1x NVME and it won't let me select the NVME as the destination.

14. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Is the NVME a Samsung?

15. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

All 3x are Samsung - 2x 850s and a 960. All it will allow me to do is select the 256 Pro as the source (OS) and 512 Sata as destination, not 960.

A quick google didn't show up anything obvious, need to have a better look on the weekend or just use Clonezilla.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  16. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

I had a quick squizz at documentation for the Samsung tool earlier, when it was mentioned. Can recall seeing some mention that if an NVME drive is proposed destination then driver needs to be installed first. That a possible cause of the problem maybe?

fredhoon likes this.
  17. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

Got the driver covered. I'm going to pull the 500G drive on the weekend and try again before putting more effort into it.

18. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Sorry no, no issues here as long as I have samsung drives.

19. Groff

Groff Member

I've had issues in the past with Samsung drives not being recognised by cloning software (Macrium/Acronis and Samsung's tool). I returned the drive twice thinking it was faulty, then tried a Crucial and it worked. This was via USB. I tried to clone the Samsung internally in a desktop and it worked fine.
    Might be something to do with power delivery?

20. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I don't know. I've used the migration tool with a 100% success rate, dozens of times in many different circumstances, both with external and internal drives. Macrium Reflect is certainly a decent alternative though, but slower than the Samsung tool IMO.