SSD Price Discussion

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by tfroggydawg, Jan 19, 2012.

Tags:
  1. OJR

OJR Member

My old OCZ Vertex: "hold my beer!"

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    BurningFeetMan and ChinoPD like this.
  2. tensop

tensop Member

oh man those intel 520's were the best sata attached ssd they ever made(short of the enterprise stuff)

3. OJR

OJR Member

I still have a 120gb here running in my htpc.

macktheknife likes this.
  4. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

LOL @ OCZ. Damn I remember that mess. It was probably the primary reason that I wasn't an early adopter, including the fact that the capacities were not big enough to warrant usage from me.

Zenskas and mikezilla2 like this.
  5. Zenskas

Zenskas Member

Lordie lord I got burned bad when I first started using SSD's in 2011. Sure the speed was awesome, compared to my 7200rpm hard drives..but I owned two 60GB OCZ Agility 3 and one 120GB Vertex 3 and they all died in the ass within a year, no matter what craptastic firmware update OCZ could come up with to try to prevent it.

My next drive was a Samsung 830 128GB and I never looked back! Aside from a few budget Kingston and Crucial drives for basic builds I've pretty much stuck with Samsung drives for my main machines around the house, 840/850/860 as well as the 950/960/970 series in mine and my partners gaming rigs. Samsung had some issues with degrading performance on the 840 series but fully fixed it with firmware and at least it didn't just completely die like the OCZ drives.

Just installed the 970 Evo Plus 500GB into a new gaming build for a mate, for the $160 or so it cost it absolutely hammers for general use. Why bother saving $10-20 on an inferior drive when this one is so fast and has a 5 year warranty :)

6. OJR

OJR Member

The A-Data SX8200 Pro gets amazing reviews and is generally a bit quicker than the 970 Evo plus. Anyone here have one and care to comment?

Zenskas likes this.
  7. Zenskas

Zenskas Member

Yea they do look decent, great speeds and even comes with a cool little basic heat spreader. Some reviews put it behind the 970 Evo Plus but only by an insignificant amount. Others in front but again fairly insignificant. 5 year warranty too so could be very comparable to the 970 for a very similar or slightly cheaper price. I doubt A-Data has as rock solid drivers and toolbox as Samsung but that isn't too important either, so long as they function properly.

My main issue is that I'd rather pay a similar amount for the bigger and more known brand, but I'd happily buy any other brand if it is proven to be reliable. Certainly worth my consideration next drive I look at buying...

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  8. OJR

OJR Member

$159 at Scorptec for 512GB model with OCAU discount. I'm tempted to grab one for shits and giggles.

9. Zenskas

Zenskas Member

Let us know how you get on if you do. I had some interest in their drives a couple years ago but the Samsung's were beating them for $5-10 more so didn't make sense. Now they have closed the performance gap they could be a winner. Surprised I didn't even see that drive when I ordered the 970 last week, just had my Sammy blinkers on :p
    Although that has worked for me very well for the last dozen or so builds recently, performance is just so damn good on these modern NVMe drives to the average home user.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  10. mikezilla2

mikezilla2 Member

SX8200 Pro drive ,,-1tb i have one , how importent is the heat spreader lol ? still deciding on a Use case throught the deal i got was okey , my boot drive is a Micron 2tb ( OEM) SSD

11. bcann

bcann Member

My only issue with the adata's m.2 SSD's, is that the management software on them is a POS.

12. Zenskas

Zenskas Member

I suspected as much in that post, but I guess that can be expected from a smaller brand. A lot of people will never need/want to use the software, after all it is just a SSD - most people just want to put data on it like any other storage drive and don't need the extra features or management. Something ADATA can certainly improve on in future though.

13. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

You’re not the only one. I have oldies on my non-gaming rigs and they still perform like champions.

14. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

15. Grom Hellscream

Grom Hellscream Member

Mechanical drives are dead. I have two in the house and that's because I need some capacity in my NAS. Everything else is SSD, I just ordered another 1tb for my desktop rig (will be 2.5tb of SSD now) at a whopping $199.

16. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Mechanical drives still are very welcome in my household. Only in my unRAID server for my PLEX content. Every other device has an SSD.

17. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

I bought a 2.5" mechanical drive as the bulk storage for an SFF build the other day. I fully expect that it's the last time I'll ever do that, aside from the media/backup server.

18. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I still have a couple of 3TB and a couple of 2TB 2.5" drives, shucked from Seagate Essential Portables. I'd like to switch them to SSD, but given they are just a media library and I won't see any actual gains, I can't justify the expense.

I am considering getting rid of my 512GB 960 Pro OS drive and grabbing a matching pair of 1TB SX8200's now that with my new board I have a second M.2 slot to work with.

i will run them mirrored in RAID 1 as an OS drive. A bit of a performance hit, since the second M.2 is only X2, but still pretty damn fast and some redundancy to go with it.

19. Zenskas

Zenskas Member

MR CHILLED likes this.
  20. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Prices coming down nicely :thumbup: