1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

SSD Price Discussion

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by tfroggydawg, Jan 19, 2012.

1. OJR

OJR Member

[​IMG]

There's the 1TB version for comparison. Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme.

ChinoPD, Groff and Ratzz like this.
  2. shane41

shane41 Member

How fast do you need to transfer prOn to the htpc :confused:

OJR likes this.
  3. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

if you dont last long you need it 10 gigabit ethernet fast :)

shane41 likes this.
  4. shane41

shane41 Member

Used to be fast at a lot of things :Paranoid: Now I just fall asleep after a hard days work.
    pcie-4 right ... intel no has this yet

MUTMAN likes this.
  5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

You should already know the answer to that :leet:

6. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Yeah but in the real world the only thing it will be any better at is sequential transfers, with a speed wall for burst/sustained transfers improving on each size larger drive I'd assume.

Kinda like RTX for NVidia - it has its uses under some applications but for most people it probably isn't worth the extra money.

So AMD has its little party trick, NVidia have their little party trick, but Intel not so much as yet.

You can guarantee that the sheer amount of money Intel have in the bank they are probably preparing a few rabbits for their hat, and you can probably almost certainly expect for them to be back on top again.
    They aren't planning PCIE4 for a couple more footy seasons apparently (if thats even going to be where the battle is to be fought), they might have got caught with their pants down for a bit but they are going to be back.

Until then, unless your use case calls for sustained sequential transfers, then it doesn't much matter if you have a an SX-6200 Pro, a 970 Pro, or an MP600, your experience will be similar, and Intel not having PCIE4 is really not that much of an impediment. As far as GPU's go, a 2080Ti barely touches on the limit of PCIE3-X8, there is no gain to be had at all with PCIE4 in bandwidth (although I guess there might be a little to be had with different protocols if that's a thing?).

One can only hope that the market spread gets somewhere close to 50/50 though, its a good thing for everyone when there is proper competition, regardless of which team you support. It wouldn't hurt if ARM and/or others were to get some traction as well and eventually no semblance of a duopoly at all. That would be awesome from a buyers perspective.

OK what was I talking about? Oh yeah.. PCIE4 drives. I have one, I get warm fuzzies when I do benchmarks with mine, I think I'd get even warmer fuzzies if I had a bigger one, and who hasn't lusted for a giant superspeed one? ePeen.... but really not something one should pay a lot of extra money for.

$269 for a 500G MP600 does compare fairly well with $265 for a 500GB 970Pro though. Pretty good buys even without being on promo, is my point. All you have do do is buy an AM4 platform to be able to use one to its full potential. Not that that is a hardship these days.

Hell, even Intel boys should buy them. They will be more useful one day :thumbup: but they won't be a lot less useful even now, even in Intel machines, and at the same price as a 970Pro why wouldn't you? *970Pro Probably sustains better, but again, use case?*

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    Groff likes this.
  7. T1tan

T1tan Member

OK, in the real world, day to day use, for a 1tb drive, and using a nas for majority of media, potential for gaming, would almost any nvme drive do the job?

Looking at a 1tb drive just so i don't have to format for a few years.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  8. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

no. some are slow and shit.
    you get what you pay forforstill still holds true

9. m3k

m3k Member

honestly even the slowest of SSDS are plenty fast, were talking very marginal gains etc between them- even editing 8k video footage struggles to even max out a Sata3 6gbps 500MB/s drive.

as for load times for tiny files and tiny DLLS for OS - you dont NEED nvme- while it is better if u get a good brand, Intel optane is best, but are costly- but there are some drives with better random iops and 2-4k read write time aswell
    so you can still get a sata6gbps drive that runs windows faster than a nvme that claims 9999999mbps

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  10. m3k

m3k Member

11. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

yer, no
    im going to guess you havent used a ssd that has zero dram and zero slc cache ?
    something like the kingspec ssd's

so yes, while any 1st tier ssd will be fine, where are plenty of units to avoid like the cv19 virus

OJR likes this.
  12. millsy

millsy Member

The rising price has been a disappointment, I was holding out for an nvme drive of ~1tb at close to 100, don't see that happening for a long while :(

13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

14. kogi

kogi Member

15. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Damn, unlucky timing. How much did you spend?

16. kogi

kogi Member

covid price :p $338 on a 970 evo plus

17. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

1TB NVME? I googled it.....I'm already behind, didn't even know they has a "plus" model now.

18. karsa

karsa Member

Any thoughts on the

ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB PCIe M.2 NVMe SSD ASX8200PNP-1TT-C

It is about $70 cheaper than the Samsung 970 Evo plus 1tb and seems decent

19. OJR

OJR Member

Great SSD, popular and well priced. Can't go wrong with that.

mikezilla2 likes this.
  20. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

i was looking at those a little while ago.
    a lot to like about them.
    i couldnt find stock anywhere though...