1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

SSD Price Discussion

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by tfroggydawg, Jan 19, 2012.

1. karsa

karsa Member

Thanks Mwave have stock ATM will probably go this over the Samsung to save some money

2. Dalork

Dalork Member

I've been very happy with the 2TB model, bloody lil ripper.

3. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

A good decision. The ADATA is a very good drive, and you would be hard pressed to notice any real world difference over the Samsung 970 Evo.

4. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

I might update one of my 512GB 950 Pros with a 970 Plus 1TB, thanks to the games these days requiring more space.

I only have 1x m.2 interface on my ASUS X99-A II mobo. My other 950Pro is sitting on a Angelbird PCIe card: https://www.angelbird.com/prod/wings-px1-1092/

Or should I just get a 2.5" SSD? Will recheck and recalculate how many lanes I'm using on my 6850K broadwell (I can't believe it's considered old now), I wouldn't mind getting another m.2 drive if I have spare lanes left.

5. c4dderly

c4dderly Member

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  6. OJR

OJR Member

Yeah this is why Samsung are pushing their cashback promo at the moment. They're clearing old stock.

7. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Sweet, I can wait a bit more :thumbup:

8. chook

chook Member

Got it for my OS drive when I upgraded earlier this year. Works great and stores ones and zeroes. Much cheaper than a lot of the alternatives and I don't notice any real world performance differences.

9. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Exciting :thumbup: Going to be nice and pricey I'm sure though.

10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

11. coolroy

coolroy Member

MR CHILLED likes this.
  12. millsy

millsy Member

13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I can tag you if you like for next time one comes up..

14. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Sequential read and writes are a moot point anyway unless you have more than one fast drive. You'll be transferring files from one drive to another, the process will only be as fast as the slower drive.
    Its those sweet sweet small random IO numbers that make the difference, if you can even tell the difference beyond benchmarking, which I'm doubtful about.
    I have a Corsair MP600, which although not reaching as high as 6500 sequentials like the 980 Pro is touted to be, is still pretty damn quick, and I cannot tell the difference between that and a standard Sata SSD in real world use.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  15. coolroy

coolroy Member

Yes please
    :leet:

MR CHILLED likes this.
  16. DarkSnipa

DarkSnipa Member

Nope but there is pm981a 1TB going for around 220AUD PP on Taobao and the spec looks like it peforms between a 970 EVO and 970 EVO plus if you do not care about warranty ;) Galax HOF Pro 1TB SSD is on 618 promo and it is only about 290AUD pp on Tmall too if you have a X570 or B550 board to take advantage of PCIE 4.0...

Honestly we just need CA or PCCG to bring back the SX8200 Pro 2TB deal this year again, I regret I only bought one :upset:

coolroy and MUTMAN like this.
  17. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

18. coolroy

coolroy Member

Purchased a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB M.2 NVMe from Ple & when I tried registering my details at samsung redemption site it accepted new account details but wont let me login after creating account?

Do I have to wait for a email back from samsung with special unique ID or other?

Dam i hate it when simple things go shit.

Anyone else know...

19. coolroy

coolroy Member

FFS now that i have managed to get in to Samsung's cashback redemption system when i go to input my serial number off the box (same details as per ple tax invoice) samsung says missing one digit. (needs 15 digit serial number according to samsung)

When i use samsung magician to interrogate the device it shows an extra letter at the end of my serial number being the letter "P"

Please note can also see that samsung magician states that this Samsung 970 evo plus is genuine.

Has there been a programming/registering error at Samsung's end?

Samsung's 7 day chat system is offline so cant find out anything else as yet.

Install was an absolute nightmare as i had to use the second nvme slot on my board which is located between my two water cooled graphics cards.....as already using first slot & third slot lives under second graphics card.

No way do I want to be trying to remove the device so that i may check what ever the serial no. details are on the device itself, plus its now my boot drive & has a heat sink installed over it.

Anyone got any good advice on verifying what the serial number should/could be?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  20. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

pre-edit you said magician version 5.0
    update it to 6.4 or whatever is current