SSD Price Discussion

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by tfroggydawg, Jan 19, 2012.

1. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

The heatsinks can be removed, although i do not recommend this haha.

Most high end boards have passive m.2 cooling these days, so makes sense to buy a m.2 drive without a heatsink.

i want to upgrade my rigs to all SSD, given i dont need to digital hoard anymore, as all movies/tv shows are mostly available through streaming services these days, can downsize everything.

but 2TB and 4TB Ssd, still a bit pricey. getting rid of the rust spinners would be nice, but not really worth the price yet.

Ratzz and devolutionary like this.
  2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Samsung Magician 6.2.1 now available.

3. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

When the 500GB 970 Plus on PCIe Gen 3 apparently does 3500 MB/s read, and 3200 MB/s write.. Gen 4 doesn't seem all that grand at the moment.

The 500GB Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus does 5000 MB/s reads, but only 2500 MB/s write on Gen 4.

The only real oomph seems to come from the 980 Pro which on the 500GB model will do 6900 MB/s read, and 5000 MB/s writes.

970 Plus 500GB is $132
    Sabrent Rocket 500GB is $199
    980 Pro 500GB is $209

Pretty much rules the Rocket out of contention immediately.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    nCrypt likes this.
  4. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

For that price I'd be looking at the Adata sx8200 pro instead. 1tb, 3500/3000 for $218.

MUTMAN likes this.
  5. sammy_b0i

I've been in contact with three Adata drives, all of them died.

Not really overwhelmed with reliability.

MUTMAN likes this.
  6. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

7. sammy_b0i

NVMe.

I've had three that were working, and suddenly not detect on boot, and never detect again. Just die for no reason.

MUTMAN likes this.
  8. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

you're making me rethink my next purchase ....

9. hellaflush

hellaflush Member

Does anyone have speculation on how much further SSD prices are going to drop in the coming months?

Want to upgrade my 1TB 970 Evo plus to the 2TB, but seeing them drop by a hundred in the past 2 months makes me wonder if I should wait it out a little longer

10. sammy_b0i

Look at the reviews of the item on the Amazon link...

"While the drive was working it delivered excellent speed and snappiness in use and i was really pleased with it, Unfortunately just over 2 months after purchase the drive stopped working and wasn`t recognised by my motherboard any more.
    Further investigation using another motherboard led to the conclusion the drive had failed and was returned to the supplier."

MUTMAN likes this.
  11. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

One in my pc has been awesome ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I had x that died doesn't really hold any weight with me until it's plastered over multiple sites etc all over the internet, it's the same argument that's been raging with hard drives for years.

MUTMAN likes this.
  12. sammy_b0i

Indeed. I can only talk to personal experience, but I've been in contact with three Adata drives, different models, and they all went exactly like that review, so I choose not to use them.

YMMV, not making decisions for you.

MUTMAN likes this.
  13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

14. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

15. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

16. chook

chook Member

This is what I am using and it has been fine since February but maybe I need to upgrade given what sammy_b0i has been saying. Good thing I found this.

Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen4 PCIe M.2 Internal SSD US$170.97 (~A$235.09) Delivered @ Store4Memory via Amazon US

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/580697

17. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Need? No. You want to upgrade :) What you need to do is what everyone needs to do, backup your stuff. Sometimes you roll snake eyes and stuff dies. If you read around enough forums you'll find someone swearing black and blue that every brand out there died on them every time they used it and they won't use it again. Every. Single. Brand.

No, if you want to worry about the adata drive, worry that they recently changed the memory controller and flash die type without a model number change. Even then, the only way you're ever going to notice that the new drive may be slower is through benchmarking, so personally they can keep taking my money, assuming they're the cheapest. Right now that though (yesterday in fact) that prize went to silicon power, as they were quite a lot cheaper for a drive that has similar specs and will do the job.

MR CHILLED and chook like this.
  18. chook

chook Member

Of course I need to upgrade ;).

I also already have a backup because I have a RAID array on my server. I am not that super worried about the drive in all seriousness as it is just the OS and nothing else. My plan had been to buy a PCIe 4.0 when more options became available because I can have a totally valid business reason.

19. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

RAID is not a backup!

Onyx and fredhoon like this.
  20. chook

chook Member

I didn't know that site existed but it is very cool. I have a few customers that might benefit from it.