SSD Price Discussion

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by tfroggydawg, Jan 19, 2012.

1. OJR

OJR Member

Yep it was at Scorptec but I am pretty sure it was $129 this morning.

2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Can absolutely vouch for that drive, using it myself in my rig as the OS drive. Also have a storage drive which is exactly the same model, but just the 1GB version.

Dr Evil and TheWatcher like this.
  3. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

4. Yehat

Yehat Member

If it helps, I had the same issue with the SSD serial number being rejected by the samsung portal, whole thing took just under 2 months to get resolved and cashback transferred from Samsung to my account. Have to keep following up.

Timeline.
    6th Oct - Unable to redeem SSD online, rejected due to invalid serial #. Contacted Samsung Chat for assistance, was advised serial number issue requires the retailer to update the serial numbers with Samsung and also Samsung to allow the serial numbers on their portal. Email address to notify Samsung was given as: promos.au@samsung.com
    6th Oct - Contacted promos.au@samsung.com - advising of the issue. Heard nothing back till 13th Oct which was a generic email "We are currently investigating this issue ...blah blah..."
    7th Oct - Contacted Centrecom (retailer I bought the SSD from) via support ticket advising of issue and if they needed to "upload serial numbers to Samsung". Got back the "auto acknowledgement" email from Centrecom
    13th Oct - Update from Centrecom advising that matter has been referred to Samsung "RMS Support" (rms.support@samsung.com I suspect this is an email address used by retailers to lodge issues/queries ?)
    13th Oct - Email from rms.support@samsung.com asking for photo of the SSD itself, in the chain I can see 3 other CentreCom customers who had the same issue.
    14th Oct - Requested photos sent to rms.support@samsung.com .
    20th Oct - Email from rms.support@samsung.com advising issue is fixed and I can upload the serial #
    24th Oct - Submitted claim to samsung via portal
    26th Oct - Submitted claim moves to status "Validation Completed"
    ...Nothing happens.
    25th Nov - Emailed promos.au.samsung to follow up.
    4th Dec - Reply from promos.au.samsung that cashback is being processed today and should settle by next week. It actually arrived same day in account.

tldr: Samsung cashback claim process took me about 2 months, had to keep following up but it did come through.

Blinky likes this.
  5. DNX

DNX Member

Received my first three redemptions into bank account last week.
    They state it takes up to 60 days for redemption.
    Mine took just over a month.

6. kogi

kogi Member

7. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

MUTMAN likes this.
  8. DNX

DNX Member

9. Spyder6052

Spyder6052 Member

Samsung scamming customers to buy Ssd's with a bonus valhalla game key.... end date 30th Dec punched one on the 1st, go to redeem code and they are all gone but still have the promotion in place, live chat " oh you'll have to contact the promo team, they don't reply to emails sent

10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

11. mikezilla2

mikezilla2 Member

still trying to work out the Best drive to use inside my PS3 ........

12. OJR

OJR Member

Cheapest 2.5" SATA SSD you can find. It makes very little difference to load speeds according to most reports.

13. mikezilla2

mikezilla2 Member

Dramlass VS none Dramlass that and i hear later revisions of the same drive often exclude such stuff

MUTMAN likes this.
  14. frankgobbo

frankgobbo Member

I've sent 4 mails now over 12 days to their promo mail address; no response. It wouldn't accept my SSD serial #, it's clearly right. Sent them my invoice and a photo of the drive, nothing. It's pretty poor form.

MUTMAN likes this.
  15. akashra

akashra Member

I don't know about for the PS3 but for the PS4 even using an *external* SSD load times are as much as 25% as what they were loading from the internal drive - I bought one when TLOU2 came out and the performance of both that and AC Odyssey was massively improved - even as an external drive.

16. OJR

OJR Member

Perhaps things have changed since I last watched the video. I thought it was a digital foundry one that said SSDs didn't really speed load times up. I'll see if I can dig it up.

This was for the PS4 BTW.

17. stalyoni

stalyoni Member

whats the best price to performance 2tb nvme gen 3 drive i can buy soon guys? Will be coming from a 970 pro 1tb nvme

18. T1tan

T1tan Member

19. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Price is still good, but there has been mention over the last ~3mths that they changed their controller and flash without updating the model number. No word on any reliability issues with the new bits, but they are apparently a little slower then before.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/adata-xpg-sx8200-pro-controller-change

T1tan likes this.
  20. T1tan

T1tan Member

I think I might just go another samsung 970 then.

In the mean time I bought 2x 1tb evo 860's for game storage and an unraid cache disk @ $322 shipped from computer alliance on ebay. Will get me over the line until I need more space. After doing a bit of reading, for gaming, I don't think I need much more than a half decent 2.5" drive.