1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

SSD Price Discussion

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by tfroggydawg, Jan 19, 2012.

1. warcraft

warcraft Member

Futu online had the Samsung 960 pro 512 on a 20% off deal with the price ending up @ $318 , so some high end stuff goes on sale from time to time , just have to be lucky and keep an eye out .

2. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Yeah my 512 960 Pro came from Futu, $311 shipped, click and collect at local Woolies 2 days later.

warcraft likes this.
  3. warcraft

warcraft Member

I used the free postage and received it in two days , was sent express :)

4. sween64

sween64 Member

I'm looking at replacing the Hard Drive in my wife's HP 15-n228tx.

I'm looking at either:
    • Toshiba Dynastore 480GB $164
    • Crucial MX300 500GB $183
    • Samsung 850 EVO $180
    • SanDisk Plus 480GB $180
    Thoughts?

5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

What about the 960 sammy? Or do you have a price point in mind?

6. sween64

sween64 Member

$180 is definitely the upper limit. She current has a 1TB Hybrid HD/SSD so this will be a great improvement. Fortunately 500GB is also large enough.

7. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I've come from the 850 previously and was very happy with it. No problems recommending it.

8. sween64

sween64 Member

Thanks. The Samsung 960 being close to $300 then it's definitely too much.

The 5 year warranty on the Samsung 850 is reassuring.

9. sween64

sween64 Member

Also considering the current drive is failing and there's errors occurring possibly due to this speed of delivery is a factor. To post it quickly the Samsung 850 ends up being $190.

I can get the Crucial MX300 picked up locally tomorrow for $183 so I may end up buying that.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  10. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Spend and wait the extra, the Samsung is the best drive. For the sake of a few bucks and a few days.. just turn her computer off.

11. OJR

OJR Member

Agreed with the above.

12. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

Samsung is pushing out the 860 Evo and pro models for 2.5" SSDs.

13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I wonder how much nvme has changed the popularity of standard 2.5" ssd's these days. I know for me I'm not even looking at 2.5" now.

14. DenDen711

DenDen711 Member

For those not getting Guru3D info

Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD review
    Samsung releases its 860 EVO series SATA 6 Gb/s SSDs. Available from 250 GB up-to 4 Terabytes, this new revision is fabbed with 64-cell layer V-NAND and their new MJX controller. Armed with truckloads of performance and interesting pricing, Samsung will once again set the tone.

You can read this review right here.

URL: http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/samsung-860-evo-2tb-ssd-review,1.html

Samsung 860 PRO 2TB SSD review
    Samsung releases its 860 PRO series as well, a 6 Gb/s SSD range available from 250GB up-to a whopping 4 Terabyte this new revision is fabbed with 64-cell layer V-NAND and their new MJX controller. Armed with truckloads of performance and interesting pricing, Samsung will once again set the tone and bumps up endurance levels in TBW even more.

You can read this review right here.

URL: http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/samsung-860-pro-ssd-review,1.html

Cheers, Dennis

15. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

For sure, but I think it will take few more years before NVME become standard, due to price and available slots

1. Cost premium, the biggest factor I think
    2. Not everything has NVME slot and even worse older BIOs boards cant boot from it.
    3. Not all laptops that have NVME
    4. Even more strange some laptops with empty NVME slot sold with 2.5inch SSD (stranger still when you open up the laptop, the 2.5 and ram slots are easily accessible. but the NVME slot is the "wrong" side meaning full dismantling) re MSI

16. miicah

miicah Member

But M.2 slots are pretty common. I love my matx case with no cables etc, cos everything is plugged straight onto the motherboard.

17. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

I cant see how M2 will survive another generation, when M2 loses price advantage vs NVME.

If NVME 500gb Evo and 500gb M2sata Evo was the same price and the MB supported both slot I doubt anyone will buy M2sata

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  18. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

That's an interesting comment. Is there a reason M2 Sata will not drop in price vs M2 NVME? If one gets cheaper, so must the other, or it will no longer be available. You will never have a choice between the same size Sata vs NVME drives at the same price.

If Sata is even only 20% cheaper per GB than NVME, there is still a place in the market for it. That's why APU's exist, and GT 1050's. Not everyone wants the very best, and many people will see a 20% saving for an item that will not be noticeably faster for most people as a simple 20% saving. The Samsung 860 (which is not even an M.2 drive) is capable of saturating Sata3, only enthusiasts and professionals will be able to notice any difference between Sata and NVME. When it comes to Joe Average's PC, the almighty dollar rules.

I often wonder why I bought a 512GB NVME drive when I could have had double the capacity by choosing a Sata drive instead. For my own purposes, considerable more demanding than Joe Average's, there is still little to choose between them from my point of view. Benching, the numbers are vastly different, but in actual practical use, Sata SSD's are not noticeably faster than NVME in general tasks. In fact, given that I have 32GB ram, a RAMDISK would make much more sense for general use, and negate any advantage an NVME drive has over Sata, with the exception of large data transfers.

A massive transfer rate is just fine if you aren't involving any other (non-NVME) drives in the mix. Try transferring from (or to) an NVME drive to a Sata drive, the maximum speed you will ever see is the maximum speed of the slower drive, so unless you are running multiple NVME drives, transfer rates are a moot point. Seek times are what put SSD in front of HDD for most people... that awesome snappiness you get by replacing your old spinner with an SSD. There is no real world difference between Sata and NVME in this respect.

Last night I copied all data from my OS drive, about 400GB, to a 2TB 7200rpm 2.5" backup spinner. Transfer rate was between 110MB/sec and 115MB/sec for the entire period, steady as a rock. Pretty solid really for a spinner, but had it been a quality SSD, it would have been more like 500MB/sec. Had it been another NVME drive, considerably faster again.

Do you plan on populating your system with multiple NVME drives? If so, you are going to need the right chip, chipset and board to provide enough lanes, or once again, no serious advantage. Your board will need to support multiple NVME drives (as many now do of course) or you'll be needing some available x4 slots to stick an adapter into. You'll still need sufficient CPU and chipset lanes to handle this though. Hell, most boards still only have enough PCIE lanes to support a single X16 GPU.. add a second GPU and you get 2x X8 instead. Try doing the same thing while adding a couple of NVME adapters in the X4 slots, along with a couple (or even 3) NVME M'2s onboard. Without spending a fortune on a board and CPU with masses of PCIE lanes, you will run out of lanes very quickly.

If NVME for some reason becomes cheaper to make than Sata, and CPU/chipset combos all have 64 lanes or more, then Sata will simply disappear into oblivion. Unless that happens, which seems unlikely at this point, Sata will still be hanging in there, with buyers who want it. Its more than just the cost of the drive that will affect this decision, for at least a few more years it will have more to do with the platform than the drive.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  19. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

M.2 is the connector type, NVMe is the protocol used to transfer data. You can have M.2 drives that use the PCIE protocol.

I guess you meant that older M.2 drives using PCIE will lose out.

20. andytuan

andytuan Member

I am looking to get the 960 pro but not to sure when the 970 will be out?