1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

SSD Price Discussion

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by tfroggydawg, Jan 19, 2012.

1. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

2. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

I suggest you don't buy from there. Not even the cheapest thing

MUTMAN likes this.
  3. shane41

shane41 Member

U.2-M.2 Connector. :confused:
    What's the go here guys? I'm used to the regular 2.5 ssd's. Is this another stupid connector that will die off like firewire

4. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

U.2 will crash and burn, just like Sata Express, IMHO. M.2 won't.

U.2 is supposed to used to enable larger capacity 2.5" drives to be useable via PCIE. The theory is that a larger SSD would run via PCIE instead of Sata, enabling the M.2 drives to have larger capacity but still with the speed of an M.2.

The only real advantage of U.2 is the ability to stick multiple M.2 drives into an 2.5" drive and have more capacity in one drive. It is no faster than M.2 though, using PCIEx4 lanes the same as M.2. There might eventually be 2.5" SSD's with a single larger capacity PCIE drive, but at the moment I think they are all just multiple M.2's in one package.

I guess they could make a pretty fast drive by striping multiple drives within a single 2.5" drive, but they would still hit the PCIEx4 limit that current M.2 drives already hit.

Its probably a better option, because its easier to fit a crapload of chips into a bigger container like an 2.5" SSD, but my money is on it dying an early death and M.2 standing proudly on the corpse, a bit like the Betamax/VHS fight. The best contender doesn't always win.

The only thing that might save it is that Asus are solidly behind it, but I have my doubts personally. It's gonna die..

The reason for U.2-M.2 adapters is that there are very few U.2 devices available. The Intel 750 U.2 SSD is the only one that comes immediately to mind.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  5. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

6. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

4200 Mbps = 525MBps .. if you wanna sell the product, make it sound as good as you can ;)

Amazing how powerful alphabetical Case can be...

7. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Thanks for the heads up :thumbup:
    100 less than the next lowest price did seem a bit unrealistic

8. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Actually that's one of the very few places I haven't ever bought from. What's the problem with them?

9. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

I had a bad experience. I don't want to stir the vendor verdict pot but if you look, they have a rep

10. shane41

shane41 Member

LoL I spoke to some dude there ... that was enough. Instinct was to go another shop. Stir away :leet: Lets hear it Purge

11. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Negative. Agg's already not my biggest fan.

12. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Bad experience multiple times = CPL for me. No vendor verdict, just fact. I would only ever buy a low value item which I could not source anywhere else, and I would certainly pay 600 bucks instead of 500 just to avoid shopping there.

GMLP likes this.
  13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Hmmm, ok, seems like one to avoid then. Or use paypal....if they accept it.

14. GMLP

GMLP Member

Drats. I just ordered a 16gb DDR4 Sodimm mofule from CPL. They just happened to have the cheapest price around considering the RAM madness atm.

Can’t seem to find a 1tb 960 pro for less than $700 right now. Also I have a 512GB 950 pro from way back. Worth it to keep or sell?

15. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

Except M2 is the equivalent of the SATA interface spec and U2 is the equivalent of the SAS interface spec.

All enterprise SSD will move to the U2 spec, the 750 isn't the only Intel SSD, check out the P4510 8TB drive.

Sepermicro, Dell and about everyone else are building servers with 2.5" U2 drive bays for a reason.

The AMD EPYC delivers insane pcie flash density for 2 RU.

16. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

They were hovering between $600-$700 and with ebay deals you could get them around high $500's delivered.....but recently prices have gone up for some reason. This is the drive I want so I can finally be done with my last mech drive.....but I'm not buying at these prices, I'd rather wait.

17. GMLP

GMLP Member

$500 high is mostly EVO version. Pro is definitely high $600 to over $700k. Those are from eBay that I’ve found.

Also saw quite a few aftermarket PM981 on sale. You reckon it’s worth to get?

18. BBITS

BBITS Member

480GB Ramsta SSD's were $115 until Saturday
    I bought 3 so shall see how they go.

19. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Could have sworn I was looking at the Pro and the 20% off brought the price just below $600.....hmmmm, well I'm not sure now.

Personally I'd be sticking to the Sammy's, that's just me though....on a good thing, stick to it.

20. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

PM981 = OEM sammy evo ;)