SSD RAID dead slow speeds

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Gooliez, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Gooliez

Gooliez Member

HI guys,

i've just purchased some OCZ VERTEX 2 60gb SSD's

now i've thrown them in my system and Raided them ( Raid 0 ), but i'm hitting a wall.

i'm only getting approx 135mb/s transfer speed. seeing that just one of these suckers is rated at 285/275. i'm not impressed, obvioulsy i have set something up wrong

http://i38.tinypic.com/2dgov49.jpg

my system specs are in the Sig.

i went into the Bios, went into

"ICH SATA NORMAL MODE" and changed from IDE to RAID
    "Smart Backup" -> "Controller 0 (Gsata 0/1)" -> "Disk/RAID Status"
    Chose Raid 0
    http://i35.tinypic.com/1w5ft.jpg

"Smart Backup Config"
    http://i33.tinypic.com/282p4xd.jpg

it's obviously Raided ok, why am i getting such slow speeds ? the system feels faster.
    Am i meant to RAID it in another area ? Cable Issue ? buy a Raid card cause of crappy MB raid ?

Thanks

2. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

get it off the ghastly gsata controller.

3. DeejW

DeejW Member

I really dont get people that get 2 small SSD's and raid 0 them for OS drive. You lose trim support, double the risk of data loss and you run into problems like this. Chances are you wouldn't notice the speed increase either unless your transferring large files to and from on a regular basis.

4. OP
    OP
    Gooliez

Gooliez Member

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  5. issa2006

issa2006 Member

gsata is a jmb sata ii controller (jb micro)

limited to 135mb/sec...

on-board intel etc limited to 700mb/sec

6. Bladen

Bladen Member

It increases the random read/write speed as well, which is far more important.

7. sub.mesa

sub.mesa Member

@gooliez
    Could you show me some benchmarks with CrystalDiskMark and AS SSD, if possible?

Those two benchmarks test random I/O as well, and could tell if your RAID is scaling random I/O nicely, as is should.

@Bladen
    I can only confirm. I've seen near-100% increase in random read/write IOps on my FreeBSD system on Intel X25-V 40GB SSDs. Where HDDs are struggling in RAIDs sometimes due to their high latency, SSDs that are transfer-capped and not seek-capped would benefit alot of RAID0.

@DeejW
    Keep in mind that virtually every SSD out there already is 'RAID0'; the Intel X25-M 80GB could be considered a 10-disk RAID0 in the sense that it uses 10 parallel flash channels which behave much the same as in RAID0. There is redundancy applied to each flash cell already; roughly half of the silicon is used as redundancy.

RAID0 several SSDs also means you spread the write cycles, leading to roughly twice the write endurance given the same amount of writing. Though to be honest, larger SSDs tend to receive more writes than very small ones only used for the OS.

The loss of TRIM on Windows platforms is sad, but you could just do a periodical backup image+secure erase+restore image procedure that would restore factory performance. Also, chosing Sandforce SSDs with 28% spare space should help alot to reduce performance degradation. These models are sold as 50GB or 100GB; but physically have 64GiB and 128GiB of NAND which is crucial to maintain performance over time. In addition, Sandforce's compression would lead to more spare space being created if the written data is compressible. Thus having a clear advantage over Intel's SSDs in RAID0 without TRIM.

TRIM on Windows will likely be implemented near Christmas when Intel launches third generation SSDs. This is just speculation on my part, but i think Intel is more than capable to adjust their drivers to pass TRIM command.

If they don't, you've got another reason to try Linux or even FreeBSD. ;-)