1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

SSD suddenly dead?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by Blah72, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Blah72

Blah72 Member

Turned on my pc this morning and one of my SSD's doesn't show-up and Samsung magician says some kind of error. Can't see it in the bios either :Paranoid: It's only 5 months old.... tried unplugging it swapping ports and plugs but still cant get it to show:(

What can i try? or is it just dead?

Click to view full size!

2. dalai_yoda

dalai_yoda Member

Can you pull the drive and try it in another machine, or enclosure/USB adapter? Or boot into an Ubuntu Live cd/USB or PartedMagic and see if you can find it there.

3. bumography

bumography Member

Might be just dead!
    One of my SSD's one day showed up in bios with 0gb !
    Was like used for only a week too!

4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Welcome to computers. This is why we have backups. :)

5. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

The thing about ssd is that “unusual” slow down or noise we used to notice with mechanical HDD is now unnoticeable.

So it go bad instantly

6. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

More like welcome to Samsung. :lol:

Don't buy their junk. It is total rubbish. :thumbdn: I have had several Samsung SSDs fail where an old OCZ Vertex II I have is still "ticking" along :weirdo:

7. Renza

Renza Member

OCZ are the worst, they have the highest failure rate of any SSD manufacturer out there.

8. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

Haha you would think so but I have had more Samsung SSDs die on me (and my friends) than OCZ. Go figure. :) OCZ have been owned by Toshiba since early last year so hopefully they are on the way up.

In any case I am pretty much staying with Crucial, Intel or Sandisk nowadays.

9. Renza

Renza Member

I've had one Intel, one ocz, one Crucial and one Corsair drive die so far. All covered by warranty, but all are about equal so far!

10. OP
    OP
    Blah72

Blah72 Member

Its really weird because it's also effecting my 1tb western digital HDD, it disappears as well. I tried all day to get them to show up, i turned my computer on again last night and they all showed up! Then i turned it off again, went to bed got up and now its giving me the same error and they've disappeared....could this be a motherboard issue? I don't have a spare computer to they them in atm.

11. power

power Member

More likely to be an issue with the external drive.

back that shit up if it's not a backup.

12. OP
    OP
    Blah72

Blah72 Member

Well its happening to 2 separate drives, an SSD and a normal HDD cant backup them up unless i can get them to show up again....

13. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

You haven't had an incident recently which has changed your BIOS settings on the motherboard from AHCI/RAID/IDE by any chance have you?

That message normally pops up when the software can't connect directly to SSD drive.

That message alone doesn't indicate that your SSD is up ShitSt.

In fact, all my PCs give that error in Samsung Magician, yet it still shows up. It's well documented that the Samsung SSD software doesn't like SSD's and RAID HDD's on the same chipset, and so tosses back that error.

The fact you say you can't see it in the BIOS either suggests something may have caused your mobo bios to reset to defaults, and that's changed settings. E.G maybe your SSD is on a secondary chipset (e.g Marvell) and that by default it is disabled.

That's where I'd be looking.

14. power

power Member

maybe it's a PSU then.

that's also kind of likely - does the SSD work fine in another machine?

15. OP
    OP
    Blah72

Blah72 Member

Nah haven't done anything to the bios, however since the error started happening i have updated the bios, earlier today. But that hasn't fixed/ changed anything.

Yeah neither drive show up in the bios, had the pc for about 5 months and its been fine so far, the error just started like 2 days ago, which i'd just ignore except the hdd's aren't showing up.

I'll try them in another pc but atm i don't have one available to try the drives in.

Also i'm running win7 and my mobo is an Asus maximus hero VII

16. _slacker_

_slacker_ Member

where are u at?

17. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

All computer parts break. In my career I have dealt with spindle drives in the tens of thousands, and SSDs in the thousands. You know which brands die the most? ALL OF THEM.

Home user enthusiast confuse their experience in the tens with an accurate statistical sample. Even my "tens of thousands" pales in comparison to people like Google in the millions, who release similar "they all suck about the same" statistics when it comes to manufacturer lifespans.

All SSDs die at some point. Make backups. End of story.

18. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

I agree totally but also keep in mind that some sites like from that storage site show that Hitachi drives fail significantly less than others.

Statistics are statistics and there will always be failures but for "normal" users (like OP) without infinite budgets and who aren't paid to fix downtime then going for "good" brands can pay off.

I replaced my Samsung 840s with 840 pros after the firmware debacle. A few weeks later one of the 840s I replaced (was using as a spare) died.

Got plenty of backups but if I hadn't switched there would go a few hours in setting everything up again.

Firmware is important and if a company can't get it right then it's a reason to avoid them. Even the latest 850s have issued as far as I'm aware.

So yeah my point isn't that brand x will never die, it's that you can reduce your exposure to risk by going for products that are not inherently bugged and have user data to indicate general reliability.

For this reason I also think "normal" people should buy previous gen SSDs rather than go to the cutting edge.

19. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

Not saying you've done anything with the BIOS, but it's entirely possible it's factory defaulted itself for some reason (dodgy bios/dodgy mobo battery / etc), and that in turn is leading to why multiple drives aren't showing up.

Of course the entire southbridge chipset may have shit itself, but that's unlikely.

20. koopz

koopz Member

SSD failure is more often than not a sign of a PSU issue than HDD manufacture fault these days