SSD "which controller?" list

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by oupimiquo, May 19, 2009.

1. mortal

mortal Member

So what do people recommend as the fastest ~120gb ssd for around $200-$250, after quickest boot time for media server. If there are cheaper alternatives than that is good also :)

2. The Mafia

The Mafia Member

Samsung 840 PRO or the Corsair Neutron GTX

3. FFC

FFC Member

What is the lifespan on these things nowadays?

Looking at getting a laptop with one but not sure if I should be worried about it sucking in a year and a half's time.

4. rdamage

rdamage Member

It's a bit like saying how long is a a piece of string? SSD can fail like any electronic device but reliability should not be the reason why you don't buy an SSD for a laptop upgrade.

SSD controllers are pretty much sorted across the board these days and are continually improving. I have used many brands to date, my favourite in general is the Samsungs, since 470 series to current 840 have been extremely reliable, in fact I have never had a failure yet on the Samsungs and I am talking many hundreds of them that are in constant use with well over 2 years of service and counting. I would consider an SSD like the Samsungs far more reliable than any consumer grade mechanical drive.

5. FFC

FFC Member

Thanks for this. I've never really bothered to look into them previously - and the last time I did look into them it was all doom and gloom about how they slow down so quickly etc, albeit this was years ago.

6. Elfanger

Elfanger (Banned or Deleted)

In the Samsung Pro worth the extra over the EVO? For use in an everyday machine that is often used for gaming.

7. Tyrial

Tyrial Member

I would like to know this too. My old OCZ Vertex 3's just died and am looking at either the 500GB EVO or the 512GB Pro.

8. Anthw27

Anthw27 Member

Samsung 840 Pro series , they just rock, great tools.

9. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

hey ya'll... I need some help. My HTPC has really bad internal hotswap bay placement - basically all newer motherboards with right angle SATA connectors get in the way of the hotswap bay :( I don't want to change cases because it is a great case otherwise (Lian Li PC-C34F)

So... I am looking for a 4-8 port PCIe SAS/SATA controller. I don't want cheap crap (Highpoint) - I want something that WORKS. I have been looking at the LSI 9211-8i.

Is this a good card to go for? I see Amazon/Newegg they are around $375-400 AUD. On eBay they are about $175... I presume the eBay ones are fakes/clones?

Anyone got any advice where to buy a 9211-8i or a suggestion for a different card?

Thanks heaps! :thumbup: :Pirate:

10. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

IBM m1015/m1115, goes for about $100, flash to LSI IT firmware and you're all good.

11. motion2082

motion2082 Member

I look forward to the day M.2 SSD drop in price, major price gauging atm :mad:

12. GDavid

GDavid Member

[​IMG]

13. motion2082

motion2082 Member

I wouldn't call the Intel 600P M.2 a major player in performance.

Give me a Samsung 950 Pro M.2 at this price and I will shut up :Pirate:

14. GDavid

GDavid Member

Sounds like you may be confusing M2 as a form factor with NVMe. Intel stated that the P600 was intended as a consumer device not an enterprise device. Intel did offer other solutions, but this seemed quite attractive based on price and Intel's usual reliability. I had my first SSDs in Psion palmtops from 97 on and my first SSD in a desktop environment was an Indillinx based 64G drive followed by an Intel G2, then a PCIex Revodrive and a few other Intel drives since. I really like the warranty assurance and longevity I've experienced from Intel SSDs, my son's computer has an Evo 850...

My main concern with the P600 is to do with reports regarding the life expectancy of this particular drive and will probably not be on my shopping list until convinced otherwise...

With regard to performance, there has been much shared by many users that I would agree with when they suggest there is not much real world difference unless the load cycles become high...
    Try having a look over at the Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVMe thread...

15. 2_stroke

2_stroke Member

16. GDavid

GDavid Member

Faily old post at October 2016, but made an interesting short read...
    NVMe Falling Below SATA Pricing? Get ready it is happening

Bought a Samsung PM961 NVMe 256GB SSD MZVLW256HEHPfrom ebay last month and pretty happy with it for $155: :thumbup:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017