SSD "which controller?" list

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by oupimiquo, May 19, 2009.

1. Luke212

Luke212 Member

It was on a review site. They said Samsung are the only ones that make their own controller and memory chips, and intel use Promise. Maybe by contract? Hmmm

2. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

Maybe they used a Promise controller (card) to use the Intel drive with...not that intel use a promise controller.

3. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

Some situations call for data to be accessed very quickly, but written to infrequently. For example, a server will almost certainly have far more outgoing (read) traffic than incoming (write) traffic. The slow write performance on JMicron drives may be largely irrelevant here.

4. Luke212

Luke212 Member

5. OP
    OP
    oupimiquo

oupimiquo Member

It's Tom's, so not the most reliable source :) I'd seen that before, but discounted it as incorrect since:
    1) There's no mention of flash RAM related devices on the Promise website, whereas Intel manufactures NAND flash and does heaps of stuff with it. Heck, Intel has been making SSDs since the mid 90's at least.
    2) There's no indication of Promise on the chip itself, but it does say (c) Intel.
    3) Promise has no patents I could find on SSD controllers. Intel has several.
    4) I can't find a single other page anywhere on the internet that in any way suggests Promise has anything to do with the controller in the X25-M etc.

6. NewKleer

NewKleer Member

yeah, seriously doubt intel would outsource that at all. all their presentations etc on the controller etc always give indication its all in house. assume its load of crap unless proven otherwise.

FYI jmicron are working on a new controller with support for 256mb cache and support for newer/cheaper nand or something, lets hope they get the implementation right (i.e., not using the cache merely as a buffer to smooth out the writes but otherwise the same, but to actually do the random->linear remapping of writes as per intel/indilinx etc drives obviously do)

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  7. Very_Visual

Very_Visual New Member

great thread

Well, this thread convinced me I should join Overclockers.

This is a great list posted. Just watching the market, I've got a feeling this list will outdate soon :upset: but great list. Thanks for aggregating it!

8. The Mafia

The Mafia Member

So does anyone have any more information on upcoming controllers?

Apparently Indilinx has a second generation on the way, and is going to be twice as fast as their already fast, and current controller.

I've heard stories about Jmicron releasing a new controller to replace their complete flop 3 times over, and it is supposed to actually be good.

Samsung - No word

Intel - No word yet.

lets not forget the new 32nm chips that are coming too. These should increase the yeilds and drive prices down, and also create faster, lower voltage chips.

But what about longevity? Are they addressing this?

Anyone have any information they can contribute?

9. NewKleer

NewKleer Member

there arent really any longevity issues with current drives? (for 99% of people)

i would guess that intels mentions of new drives towards the end of the year will be taking into account new 32nm tech, just like the jmicron announcement of their next controller. intel drives may be released later than others new 32nm drives because they do actual testing, whereas jmicron just leave that to 3rd parties to get their end users to do :)

10. drjeram

drjeram Member

great post,

thanks mate

11. frieten

frieten (Banned or Deleted)

12. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

I wouldn't say that the JMicron one has been a complete flop. It's probably made far more money for JMicron than the Intel, Samsung, or Idilinx ones have made for those companies. JMicron released what was required at the time: a super-cheap controller that allowed any company to make a SSD very easily. Now that the focus has shifted from just having a SSD to getting decent performance, they're releasing a new model.

13. NewKleer

NewKleer Member

14. llamaboy

llamaboy Member

Solidata IDE SSDs

Any one know what controllers the Solidata P1 or P2 series drives use? They're IDE drives which may be a worthwhile upgrade for older laptops as long as there is no stuttering.

Seen them for sale here.

15. i7r7

i7r7 Member

The recent review by OCIA has some close ups of the flash chips, hopefully this helps fill in some blanks.

I just bought an OCZ Agility yesterday for my new rig and this thread saved me from buying a Apex (with JMicron controller), so thanks to the OP and all those who have contributed to this list. :thumbup:

16. OP
    OP
    oupimiquo

oupimiquo Member

17. downforce

downforce Member

Anybody know which controller the A-DATA ones use?

There is a cheap 30GB which I'm tempted to get for my laptop!

18. OP
    OP
    oupimiquo

oupimiquo Member

Which A-Data drive? I've just updated the first post with what I can find. They do a JMicron drive, an Indilinx drive, a X-25M rebadge, and one drive I can't nail down exactly (though probably another JMicron drive, since they don't mention any cache).

19. downforce

downforce Member

20. OP
    OP
    oupimiquo

oupimiquo Member

Yup, that's the JMicron :)