SSD "which controller?" list

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by oupimiquo, May 19, 2009.

1. elstado

elstado Member

Hi guys.. not really sure if this is appropriate, but here goes:

I'm looking for a SSD to replace a 5400RPM HDD that is in a Samsung R580 notebook PC my GF is looking at getting for TAFE (Win7 x64, i5 2.4GHz, 4GB DDR3, 1GB Nvidia GT 330M etc).

Budget is around $200-250 (planning on selling the replaced 500GB HDD and the free Samsung gifts that we get as promo which make up our budget).

No real need for large capacity, prefer speed and reliability. We have a few desktop computers plus external HDDs for any main storage needs. All we need is around 30-40GB to install Windows 7 x64, Office 2007, Adobe CS4, AutoCAD and a few other design programs that should easily fit with a couple GB to spare for temp storage of data files. Not storing any media or games, this will purely be a work machine being used 25-30 hours a week during TAFE and at home.

Can anyone please suggest a decent option, or at least point me in the right direction? Do you think the budget is way to low, or should I be able to score something decent for that amount? :D

2. NewKleer

NewKleer Member

the best bet at this stage for speed and reliability would be the intel 80gb x25-m but its ~$350.

theoretically the a-ram pro 64gb at low $230 ish would fit the bill, but no one has really reviewed it etc. it uses similar controller etc to the ocz vertex ($300/60gb), the indilinx one. in general all the indilinx drives are generally reliable, but slightly less so than intel ones. depends how much of a catastrophe it would be if one died.

3. Skobb

Skobb Member

What are the A-RAM 64GB Alphas that go for $180? Doesn't list a controller on their site..

4. NewKleer

NewKleer Member

someone here said to avoid the alpha. maybe its jmicron or something, not sure (could be the new toshiba/jmicron, which isnt as bad as the old jmicron crappers).

5. h2oxide

h2oxide Member

The Corsair Extreme Series SSD's perform pretty good :thumbup:

6. elstado

elstado Member

Yeah too expensive for us still. Don't need that sort of capacity either, 40GB would suffice. What about the Kingston 40GB boot drive? I've heard they are pretty good. Can't seem to find any being sold in Aus though (searching via Static Ice).

Another one I have seen mentioned in the SSD owners thread is the Intel X25-V 40GB SSD, which comes with a retail box. Costs about $150 including postage and insurance fees. Not listed in the OP of this thread though. Seems like a good price and the capacity is enough (sure 64GB would be nice to have the extra space, but not really a high priority for the extra cost).

Sounds good. I'll have a look.

Not much. All critical data will be backed up onto external storage. The SSD will purely be a boot drive in a notebook to run TAFE software during the day.

7. h2oxide

h2oxide Member

8. elstado

elstado Member

9. h2oxide

h2oxide Member

The Corsair Extreme Series SSDs use the Indilinx Barefoot controller, and uses MLC NAND flash memory. As for how they compare, not sure try google

Why not ship from Eastern states?

*edit*
    Intel X25-V: Read up to 170MB/s, Write up to 35MB/s
    Corsair X32: Read: 210MB/s, Write: 100MB/s

Glad Ive got the Corsair one :weirdo:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  10. elstado

elstado Member

It's only about $18 cheaper, add shipping at around $10-15 and having to wait a week and it isn't worth it. If I am going to order it online I'll buy something online from HK.

11. h2oxide

h2oxide Member

So whats the verdict? What SSD you going with?

12. GDavid

GDavid Member

How about the What to buy/ where to buy thread?
    in answer to your post (below) elstado, It is a sticky. Why couldn't you link to the WTB/WTB thread you make for yourself instead of hijacking something set up for everyone?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  13. elstado

elstado Member

She said that 30-40GB would probably be too small (even though I think it would be more than enough). So it looks like we're looking at a 64GB, probably something like a G.Skill Falcon II which is around $249 at Austin.

Her Pop is paying for it, and he said that if it was worth it he was happy to pay the extra for it.

However after seeing this thread it has put me off a little.

Also considering the A-RAM Pro ARSSD64GBP - 64GB SSD, which is $237 in Aus, supports TRIM and uses the Indilinx Barefoot controller. Heard mixed opinions on it though.

I considered that, as I know it's annoying to have purchasing discussion in a thread not really designed for it. But the thing is that at least in these threads the people participating in the discussion are current or prospective SSD owners and will know a hell of a lot more than the few people that occasional trawl through the what to buy forums. You see where I'm coming from?

I'm not trying to thread de-rail, I am simply going to the source of info.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  14. downforce

downforce Member

I wouldn't be put off by 1 bad experience.

I have a 64GB Falcon and I know 3 other ppl with 128GB version (1 guy has 2) and none of us have had any issues.

15. elstado

elstado Member

..."avoid A-Ram Alpha - they're fast initially and cheap but don't support the TRIM function which keeps these drives from slowing over time."

The Pros are pretty well received though, Indilix barefoot controller and supports TRIM. Quite tempting since they are $20-30 cheaper than the G.Skill Falcon II, only they don't sound as cool and aren't as well known, so there's less e-peen points if you get a A-Ram over a G.Skill.

16. ozdavo

ozdavo Member

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  17. GDavid

GDavid Member

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  18. NewKleer

NewKleer Member

4th post in the russian forum he linked to is where he found them

19. ozdavo

ozdavo Member

This is correct.

20. coolroy

coolroy Member

Just watch out for under performing Torqx patriot 128Gb's rev 6,
    Bought mine from a local dealer here in perth 26th march 2010.
    According to forums on Patriots site this drive has had major wty issues & dealers were to recall? & replaced with rev2's.
    I have spent all weekend trying to get it to run close to it's so called performance rating.
    So far on my new qosmio 500x-02m it performs like a dog just 125mbs write & 160mbs read not the 260/180 its rated too.
    Running win7.

Have updated to latest firmware on ssd, no improvement, also running ahci in bios.

Sheesh, got so cheesed off i accidently (doh!) erased the back partition on my toshiba drive sigh.

Any advce?

Found out my poor figures were due to norton antivirus, with Norton off drive performs as per manufacturers specs... Sheesh norton go figure>>>

cheers

Last edited: May 16, 2010