SSD "which controller?" list

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by oupimiquo, May 19, 2009.

1. NewKleer

NewKleer Member

the advice with any of these reliability issues that ocz (since they use end users as testers) and other drive makers have is to stick to the intels. but that doesnt really help you.

2. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Currently reading into the Anandtech article on the OP as I've decided to add an SSD into my upgrade list. Currently into page 7, not looking so positive at the moment but I've got a long way to go in understanding it. I hope to turn my current OS/Apps drive which is currently a Veliciraptor 300GB into my games install drive (which is also currently being hosted by a standard 500GB Drive) and hope to get a 60GB SSD for OS/Apps.

Just finished reading through several articles written by "Anand Lal Shimpi" especially the one on the OP. So, at this current day and age the Intel SSDs appear to be the best one to use for boot/app applications, is this correct?

edit:

Just came across another Anandtech article, will have a good read tonight: http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3631&p=4

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2010
  3. NewKleer

NewKleer Member

yes, generally anything thats read or written a lot, or randomly. typically OS/Apps go on SSD, and 'data' generally on the HDD, though depends what data it is and how its used etc (e.g. a big database used a lot and search a lot would go with SSD).

typically large sequentially or infrequently accessed files (like pretty much all media, music, videos, pictures, etc, excluding when doing editing work etc) dont need to be on the SSD.

4. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Yeah, and the intel SSDs appear to still retail it's performance in a 'used' state, which is probably the current SSD on top of my list for me to get. I'm reading up on the SandForce controller at the moment. Do any SSD owners here do a secure wipe and OS re-install on some sort of basis?

Edit: Damn, the SF based SSD (vertex 2) barely loses (if any) performance when the SSD is sequentially filled....

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  5. NewKleer

NewKleer Member

i have an intel first gen and dont do (or need) any kind of reformat/secure erase. i just use it same as HDD, except for making sure the partitions were aligned when installing XP (vista and higher do this themselves)

i wouldnt be putting my finger in the sandforce pot yet. will leave that to people with a lot more time on their hands to test it out.

6. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Cool cheers. The OWC 50GB SF based SSD doesn't perform as well as the Vertex 2. But after what I've read so far, I've compiled my top three SSD to get:

OCZ Vertex 2 Pro 100GB (SF-1500 MLC)
    Intel X25-E 64GB (SLC)
    Intel X25-M G2 80GB (MLC)

I then discovered the Vertex 2 Pro isn't readily available and if it where, it would probably cost a bucket load. I haven't searched for X25-E prices yet and since it's SLC based I bet it wont be cheap either. The X25-M G2 appears to be affordable (overseas acquisition only, I have no problems with this I've done it before) and performance overall looks awesome/balanced, so I think for now the X25-M G2 is a good choice.

A couple of questions relating to the X25-M G2 80GB verson:

1. Is TRIM now fully functional in Windows 7 when the drive is installed at AHCI mode?

2. Are there any optimisations required on these when compared to other SSD manufacturers who give out tweaks etc or is it just a matter of plugging it in and using it?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2010
  7. suicidal

suicidal Member

Intel M series is more suitable than an E for your typical desktop. Do not worry about endurance unless it's a server workload (constant r/w). so yeah, an M G2 is a good choice.

1. It always has been, with the native 7 driver. Intel's RST drivers recently came out (officially) and support TRIM too, so you can't go wrong with either really.

2) The only tweak I would do is to disable the volume on your SSD from the defrag schedule. It should do this by default anyway with 7. Pretty much everything else should be left alone, IMO.

8. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Awesome, appreciate that. As for point 2, I initially understood that TRIM automatically disables the volume for defrag but I'll doublecheck anyway. Server parts ordered, I'll wait for it to be built and I'll allow two pay cycles to go through before starting to order my upgrade. The X25-M G2 80GB and an ATI 5970 are the only parts I'll be purchasing overseas.

9. NewKleer

NewKleer Member

10. downforce

downforce Member

Corsair have released their Corsair Reactor series which feature the new JMicron JMF-612 controller with Intel memory

Their prices are only marginally cheaper than the Corsair Nova series (with Indilinx and Intel memory.

Also, there are now stocks available in Aus. So whose going to be the first?

EDIT: Found a link on the JMicron site about the controller: http://www.jmicron.com/Product_JMF612.htm

11. ozdavo

ozdavo Member

i believe thats the same controller as the kingston V series (Gen 2) which sell for about $50 less in 64Gb (Kingston, Corsair)
    so i wouldn't expect many here to have a go unless the price crashes.

12. downforce

downforce Member

As far as I can tell from my 2min of Googling, Kingston V Series 2 uses the JMF-618 whilst the Corsair uses the JMF-612.

What the differences is I have no idea!

13. stranger2502

stranger2502 Member

im currently look at purchasing a SSD

my options atm are

G.Skill Phoenix PRO 60GB SSD x2
    or
    G Skill Phoenix PRO 120GB SSD

raid will be faster ? but lacks trim.

Which options is better.

Thanks Gents:thumbup:

14. theDarkHorse

theDarkHorse Member

Just get the 120GB. Lower likelihood of failure, plus the real-world speed differences ain't that great. :thumbup:

15. stranger2502

stranger2502 Member

is it worth going for the OCZ vertex 2 instead of the Gskill ?:confused:

16. GDavid

GDavid Member

Hi all, seeing as this is the which controller thread I'd like to know if any of the manufacturers have a "toolbox type SSD optimiser" application sililar to that provided by Intel with their SSD toolbox?

17. Garido

Garido Member

Any idea what controllers TEAM SSDs use? I'm looking at an older 32GB SSD from them.

18. ozdavo

ozdavo Member

See list in 4th post down in this Russian forum (search "team" on the page)

Depending on model, looks like:
    • Jmicron JMF602B - bad very bad, stutters, no trim etc
    • Indilinx barefoot - good, & most manufactures have firmware with trim support.
    • Sandforce - Best available currently

19. Garido

Garido Member

After more research it seems likely the 32GB versions use the 602B controller from Jmicron. Newer controllers may be used on the more current models. I just have to find out how much of a penalty no TRIM is.

20. theDarkHorse

theDarkHorse Member

BAD BAD DO NOT GET

No, seriously. A JMicron SSD is more trouble than it's worth.