SSD "which controller?" list

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by oupimiquo, May 19, 2009.

1. Garido

Garido Member

Is it still better than a HDD or will I have the face stuttering?

2. theDarkHorse

theDarkHorse Member

You will be dealing with stuttering. It'll make you wish you'd stuck with the HDD.

There should be cheap Indilinx and Sandforce drives around; something like the 40GB GSkill Phoenix or other similar small-capacity Sandforce drives. They're a much better buy.

3. Garido

Garido Member

I can only spend 90ish bucks :(

4. theDarkHorse

theDarkHorse Member

5. ozdavo

ozdavo Member

6. Garido

Garido Member

7. akashra

akashra Member

So there's some cheap OCZ Vertex2 40GBs floating around at the moment - I wouldn't mind a bit of a boost when compiling code at home. Won't bother reinstalling to make it a boot drive for now, but can anyone give any recommendations as to which would be better suited?
    Main options I've looked at:
    40GB OCZ V2 (280/270) $129
    60GB Corsair Force (285/275) $185
    Others...?

Don't need anything big - it's just for compiling/linking. Also, code is checked in/checked out to SVN on a QNAP NAS box, so it's backed up...

8. CHINNO

CHINNO Member

Hey guys. I'm looking at getting a new SSD for my self as a kind of Xmas gift. Thinking around an 80gb to 120gb. I have a max of $280 to spend including post. Whats the recommended buy now days? I'm new to SSD so i have no idea.

9. dexster

dexster Member

corsair F120's are around the $250 mark
    using the sandforce controller... it is a good chioce

i have 2 in raid0 , which is fun but may move one over to the ageing e1705 (or maybe not, the speed is addictive :Paranoid: )

10. CHINNO

CHINNO Member

What about the OCZ Vertex 2 120GB E Series SSD $259 from PC Case Gear? Uses the Sandforce controller

11. dexster

dexster Member

anything that uses sandforce is ok :thumbup:

i would of gone some ocz drives myself, but got a cracker deal on the f120's at the time i was looking

12. mavnkaf

mavnkaf New Member

Hi members, glad to be here! Gees, I thought I had my home pc build sorted until I came across this sticky, (thanks to OUPIMIQUO)!!!!

Here’s my deal, I’m slowly buying computer bits to make a home pc for internet use and flight simulators, mainly, (msflight sim 10 and Condor sim for sail plane pilots), and other fun games away from my 14 old son! I think I’ve got most of the bits right despite the debates,(hind sight hasn’t happen yet).

Getting to my question, I’m looking at either the OCZ Vertex 2 3.5" 120GB E Series SSD for $249.00 or the A-Ram SSD ULTRA II 120GB 2.5 MLC, 285/275MB/s, Sandforce controller, SATA II, TRIM support/Garbage collection for $253.76.

Which one would be better?

Cheers
    Marc

Ps, It will be used a boot drive for windows 7 64 bit OS. I will load the sims on the boot drive until I buy a second ssd just for games, photo shop and my CAD’s. I’ll have 500 gig Hdd drive for the rest the crap, I’m a sucker for hi res pic’s.

13. ozdavo

ozdavo Member

Get the OCZ. that simple. If you want more convincing do some searches on a-ram here... Some ppl have bad experiences with dying drives and drives that don't meet perform as advertised. OCZ were the first to market with sandforce and seem to have an agreement with them that allows for better IOPS than most other manufacturers.

14. mavnkaf

mavnkaf New Member

Get the OCZ. that simple.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

Yep, can't do the quote thing yet. Too new here. But I've read enough to hear a good tip when I asked for one!

Thanks Ozdavo, I hav'nt found those bad reports yet which makes me think I better do more Researching before I get trigger happy.

Thanks mate, I really do appreciate your reply and others that have value added to this thread.

Cheers
    Marc

15. GDavid

GDavid Member

+1

I kept my Indilinx A-RAM pro, but wasn't happy with their lack of customer service, performance claims, web support (with the broken links to firmware and others), support forum issues. There were a couple of threads here in the storage section so here's the search results, just have a look down the page at the titles?

Bear in mind the Intel refresh is due soonish... (Feb though?)

16. mavnkaf

mavnkaf New Member

Thanks Gdavid for your post and links, I feel I should buy soon as I can but I know should hang back abit.

I'm coolling down now and I'll see what feb will bring!! It will give some time to sort out some ram for my msi 890fxa-gd70.

Cheers
    Marc

But on the other hand,,, it's Chrismas,,, Buy Buy Buy!

17. GDavid

GDavid Member

January sales <14days

18. PAQd

PAQd Member

19. GDavid

GDavid Member

20. ElBeasto

ElBeasto Member

Can someone explain to me why the Corsair, OCZ & GSkill 120GB models are faster and roughly $100 cheaper than the Intel 120GB X 25M?

Ta :)