1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

SSUPD Meshlicious

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by bex, Jan 20, 2021.

1. WarriorZ

WarriorZ Member

Mine arrived too. It's much prettier than I thought and great build quality too

Tazor and argent like this.
  2. Tazor

Tazor Member

Wife just texted me to let me know it arrived... I've never wanted to ditch a bucks party with mates to build a PC so much!

WarriorZ and argent like this.
  3. AdamMB23

AdamMB23 Member

Likewise! But i just realized that my Meshlicious was shipped to my parents place...3hr drive away and not my place in Ballarat! Guess I have to wait a little bit longer

4. Tazor

Tazor Member

It's built, got photos and will post when I upload them to Imgur, but I love it - great quality, super easy build and looks fantastic.

argent, AdamMB23 and WarriorZ like this.
  5. WarriorZ

WarriorZ Member

I don't think I'll be able to fit the EK VTX 120 in this (only free space is above the GPU like optimum tech). The Radeon 6900 XT Reference is a tad too long.
    And my Barrow CPU Pump/Block combo won't fit either (I got the one with an lcd screen which is taller)

Does anyone have recommendations on a small pump/res? Has to be on the quieter side.
    I was looking into the Phanteks r160c but then fell through the ddc vs d5 pump rabbit hole now I'm not sure what to get.

6. argent

argent Member

The Phanteks R160C is for a DDC pump. You can pick up a suitable DDC pump from PLE - the Bykski / Barrow pumps are identical I think. If you search some of my earlier posts, you will find a number of proposed ideas I had about how to fit a res/pump into/onto the Meshlicious - might give you some ideas. The version I was planning on doing for myself is unfortunately on my pc at home lol so I'll post it later tonight to give you the idea.

WarriorZ likes this.
  7. uncle_jim

uncle_jim Member

I'm doing the same as the Optimum Tech build, VTX above the GPU. My block (Bykski block for Gigabyte 3080) is a bit taller than the FE block and I have had to string together three of the Koolance low profile fittings on the outlet, to get clear of the edge of the res, and they are still touching the top of the block. If the chain of fittings isn't perfectly sealed and leaks I'm fucked.

I'm concerned about the stability of the two screw solution (especially as the included screws are really short) but have used extenders out past the fan to cut out one bend, which has the accidental benefit of supporting it on the rad at the other end.

I would have pics but managed to munt one of the fittings and didn't have a spare, so waiting on PCCG to deliver them.

8. WarriorZ

WarriorZ Member

I'm blaming Optimum Tech and his midget reference card for all this mess.
    I've bought myself a 3d printer as my only option is to custom print a new gpu bracket (remove the 2 metal rods) and possibly bring the riser cable out a bit more.
    I probably cant build in this for months now.

Where'd you get your Koolance low fittings from? It's almost a must for this case but can't find an AU seller.

9. uncle_jim

uncle_jim Member

A few of us did a small group buy from Performance PCs. I got a half dozen in black, I believe argent got some as well. There's only a handful of places that sell them, none in Aus, and they tend to sell out quick. Highflow.nl also stock them, but their shipping costs are borderline criminal.

If the build passes leak test I'll have three left over, happy to sell them on for cost + post if you need some. Should have a clear picture tomorrow.

WarriorZ likes this.
  10. argent

argent Member

Yeah we organised a small group buy and we had to pull the trigger ahead of schedule coz it was selling out way quick. I think we each got like 6 of them coz Koolance charges absolutely extortionist delivery fees for their stuff (like AU$60+ just for the privilege).

Optimum Tech's setup is only possible if you got an absolutely titchy graphics card hehe. This is why I had tried to theorise some alternate setups. This is the one I'll be going with:
    upload_2021-5-12_21-9-10.png
    Basically I have this to mount my pump (the lower bolt will be be in one of the IO plates but should still be secure enough I think). I'll add some rubber washers to dampen the pump vibrations if necessary:
    upload_2021-5-12_21-11-2.png

The Meshlicious will be set in 4 slot GPU format but since I'm only using an EKWB Vector block, I shouldn't need to use the Koolance fittings for this build as I'll have enough clearance for normal fittings. The GPU will be in the mid height config rather than the lowest. I'm not 100% sure I'll be happy with the angle of the soft tubing though for the return to the res... will need to build and see lol.

WarriorZ likes this.
  11. WarriorZ

WarriorZ Member

Since you have fancy diagrams I wanted some too. Here's mine.
    There's a couple things needed to make this work:
    • Move the GPU as far down as possible, removing the standoffs (print a new mount or some feet). I already have a ribbon dp cable which doesn't need much clearance.
    • Move the GPU closer to the glass panel, allowing enough clearance for the outlet on the VTX to run behind the GPU
    • The pci riser cable has to come down/out with this setup, so I'm hoping it will reach.

ssupd gpu side (4).png ssupd narrow (3).png

All this without any past watercooling experience, let's see

Last edited: May 12, 2021
    argent likes this.
  12. argent

argent Member

Yeap that's one of the configs I had earlier too lol PCI slot shield G1/4 passthrough options

4 Slot GPU config - GPU attached closest to side panel and secured only by the bar at the bottom. Optional to get nylon spacers to extend the braces for the PCIe riser so it can also be secured. Will work pretty well I reckon provided your GPU block isn't too big lol - and you also have that right angled DP or HDMI cable coz you need to put it at the lower possible rung.

13. WarriorZ

WarriorZ Member

Ahhh I didnt see those diagrams, yep we pretty much have the same idea then.
    GPU with block is around 265mm so mathematically possible with all those alterations.

14. AdamMB23

AdamMB23 Member

So i got my mesh - its cool. Build quality is fantastic. Mesh exterior is very sleek but it is very big. A lot bigger then i had anticipated. At this stage, im unconvinced that ill be making the switch from my T1! The footprint being taller is what is throwing me off it - will likely still do a WC build in it but wont be moving my T1 on in a rush.

20210513_193845.jpg 20210513_193851.jpg 20210513_193918.jpg 20210513_193904.jpg

15. argent

argent Member

If your GPU doesn’t have a backplate, might be an idea to insulate the fittings on the outlet of your VTX as well. juzz86 suggested to me that just to be safe from any shorting.

WarriorZ likes this.
  16. uncle_jim

uncle_jim Member

Build is complete, leak testing is done. Coming from the FormD T1, the thermal improvement is massive - went from 50c water under load at 1200 rpm on the fans to 40c at 780rpm. Very noticeable difference! Size wise the footprint on my desk is smaller and the height is less of an issue than I expected.

Specs:
    R9 3900X under Heatkiller IV block
    Gigabyte 3080 Gaming under Bykski block (undervolted to 850mV / 1815MHz boost)
    XSPC EX280 rad with Noctua NF-A14 chromax fans, controlled by Aquacomputer Quadro hub (hidden under cable mess on PSU
    Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming-ITX/TB3 (for the Thunderbolt port - a Thunderbolt dock has been a sanity saver for WFH)
    EK Quantum Kinetic 120 VTX pump/res - more on this POS in a minute...

To do:
    * Currently sitting on wood due to cable clearance. Currently waiting on the only right angled HDMI 2.1 cable I could find and a DP ribbon cable to go t the mobo for TB passthrough
    * Make some custom length cables to declutter

Issues:
    Already submitted an RMA on the pump, less than 24 hours after first boot. Impeller is off balance and loud as hell, and what appears to be black plastic is building up in the GPU block. Turns out this isn't an uncommon occurrence with ths VTX. If you're deciding between this or a DDC pump, just don't. Get the DDC. I've learned my lesson, only Laing made pumps from now on. Assuming EK okays a refund I'll probably shamelessly steal argent's Phanteks res idea so I can move the GPU up a bit and get rid of the fitting hell under the pump.

Attached Files:

argent and AdamMB23 like this.
  17. AdamMB23

AdamMB23 Member

Mate! Awesome build. Shame about the pump but overall very impressive!

18. WarriorZ

WarriorZ Member

Yep very nice indeed. Koolance fittings just make the cut.

Wow regarding your VTX, I found a ton of complaints on reddit too which is worrying, I bought mine off here 2nd hand so don't know its full history, but my entire build is centered around that pump :(

19. uncle_jim

uncle_jim Member

Worst case, the VTX has the same footprint as the DDC, so you can get a DDC and straight swap onto the res. Barrow non-PWM ones aren't too pricey. The res is nice, I have to admit. I looked at a few short ones and this was the best in terms of fluid volume and port selection. Shame it's not available without a pump.

20. argent

argent Member

‘steal’ away man lol. That’s why i posted the idea here so people can also see if it works for them hahaha