Stacker 810 Mod + H20 Cooling: STAGE3

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by RnegadeVyp3r, Jun 3, 2008.

1. RnegadeVyp3r

RnegadeVyp3r (Banned or Deleted)

G'day Fellow OCAU'ers.

Over the past month or so i have been building up my bits n peices for another rebuild of my Stacker. From the moment i brought this case i wanted to do some mods to it (which are still not finished yet...) and put some awesome H20 in it.

Some of this has already been covered in my old thread but i figured i would start fresh as this could be a big long :thumbup:

So, without futher babble, I will get straight into it. I might jump around a little bit to suite some of the images / stages so bear with me. THANKS.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

29TH MAY: Today my order from Flabbergast came in with the following:

4m 1/2" Tubing
    D-Tek DB1 Pump
    Swiftech Mirco Res
    2x ED Full Cover Blocks for the ATI 3870
    2x LCD Displays
    Lots of Barbs
    Helix Coils

[​IMG]

The case is stripped ready for the mods. Plans over the weekend:

So now i am still waiting for my E8400 + X48-DS4 + WD250GIG from Netplus to rock up and the order from PCCG with my Window Moulding and Perspex in it so i can made a window in my Stacker.

But tonight i will get the GPUs ready, most of the loop premade.

I have already mounted the rear 240mm Res for the config (changed layout from previous pics on here).

So, going out for an hour or so then i will be back to organise things and get the work area oganised after all the cleaning n stuff from last night.

I then hit a snag later that night when i went to install my GPU Blocks and found that they wont fit coz my GPUs are not Reference design :( But, with thanks to some feedback and ideas on the forums i opened up my new Dremel and with shaky hands (coz it was freezing out side, honest:tongue:) i got stuck into removing what was in the way.

Here was the results. Did this for both blocks, pretty happy with the results for my first time. Would do a neater job if i had to do it again, but yea.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here we have a ATI Gigabyte 3870 512MB DDR3 Zalman Edition (non reference) with the EK Block and Zalman Cooler just for kicks next to each other
    [​IMG]

More on the Next Post...

2. OP
    OP
    RnegadeVyp3r

OK, Here is the Window Mod for the side of the case. This was a pretty rough effort and i wish i had some things a bit differently but hey, we all have to learn some time i guess :)

I finally got arond to doing this Friday arvo once the PCCG order finally arrived.

Here we have the perspex, out of the box lined up next to the original side.
    [​IMG]

1st off i removed the grill and dust filter (filter to be used else where as it will be cut to size and be handy), put that out of harms way and then got stuck into the window mod. Got out the Dremmel, put a cutting disc on there (WARNING, NOVICE AT THE SWITCH!!!) and started cutting. Didnt go too badly at all. Did a few deep cuts with my Stanley Knife and level (for a straight cut). I wont bother posting up my pics of the original effort but the next night i got back into it, tidied it up and i was alot happier with the result. As it is, its still not great BUT it will do for now.

[​IMG]

While i was at it i cut a hole in the roof to fit a 120mm Fan and Rad (from a previous setup) and i wanted to add in. I also started cutting holes with my Dremmel for some cabling that from my previous setup the case could really do with.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And then my suprise that i had wanted to do for ages. It didnt come out as planned as i couldnt get the size sheets that i needed but thats being sorted out at the moment. Gammods is awaiting a new delivery of Carbon Fibre Lining which i cant wait to get as it will be over sized and a lot better suited to what i need.

So yea, next time i will be doing ALOT better job and actually getting the right sizes for my goal.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

OK, More for the Next Post.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  3. OP
    OP
    RnegadeVyp3r

OK, now with the case mods done all i was doing was sitting around waiting for my bits n peices to arrive.

FINALLY Monday after alot of screwing around and a lost parcel my MOBO, HDD and CPU arrived. My other order that i sent through late Friday came through on Monday at 12pm. Got to love that fast service and Delivery, sure beats PCCG and Netplus :) But Anyways, i wont go into my terrible experience with Netplus, i will be takign that up with them directly.

Here we have a Pic of all the hardware thats going into the Stacker
    [​IMG]

What we hav Above is the Following:
    Hardware:C2D E8400
    Gigabyte X48-DS4
    4GIG DDR2 800MHz ADATA Kit (already had)
    4x WD250GIG SATAII 8MB Cache HDDs (had 3 already)
    2x Pioneer DVR-215BK Sata Burners (already had)
    2x ATI Gigabyte 3870 512MB DDR3
    Stacker 810 (Dirr!)

Cooling:
    D-Tek Fuzion Rev1 CPU Block
    Nozzle Kit
    2x EK-3870-Acrylic Full Cover Blocks
    2x XPSC 240mm Slimline Rads
    1x XPSC 120mm Standard Flow Rad
    2x D-Tek DB1 Pump
    2x Swiftech Mircores
    4x Temp Monitoring LCDs (had 2 already)
    4x 1m D-Tek High Grade Tubing 1/2"
    Lots of Barbs :) All 1/2"
    Helix Coils

4. OP
    OP
    RnegadeVyp3r

Before I got stuck into throwing the CPU and block onto the mobo i checked the Nozzle Kit and how it all ended up going together. I put that in 2 nights before but something said to me i should check... Glad i did! Here is the washer that got miss placed when i obviously tightened the block back up. OOPS!!!

[​IMG]

And then i threw in the E8400 onto the mobo followed by the CPU Block as required. I used the Zalman TIM thats like a thin light liquid. It does a great job IMO and goes on really, REALLY well. nice even result IMO!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And now for the shots of the Mobo and Block all together, sitting pretty
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And then i tried to make it all fit :) Oh yea, that was good. I took my time and just tried to do a decent job. Here is the result.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For the pumps i wanted to make sure that no vibrations got through to the chassis, so i got some of the packaging that my Netplus order came in and cut it to size along with the bit of foam you find in your mobo box. Thats right, they aint going no where!
    [​IMG]

5. OP
    OP
    RnegadeVyp3r

[​IMG]

And now for the leak testing. Things were great. Both Loops were filled and doing fine but then shit hit the ceiling. I had the pumps running from the power from the E-Sata port off my server box. I made up a long Molex Make to Molex Male (about 2m long) cable and then used the Molex to 3pin adatper.

Like i said all was great until i turned around to turn the TV down as the Mrs had gone to bed and then i hear the sound of trickling water and nearly shat myself as i see water coming from above the GPU1 barb leaking out over the 2 GPUs and squiring onto the carpet. I let out a few choice words, grab some more paper towel and hope for the best.

I got it all cleaned up (or so i thought) and changed the barb to a full lenght Barb (standard EK one, not the short one) and all was good... or so i thought. I was giggling the case around to get the air bubbles out of the GPU Loop (CPU Loop was still going fine) and then see some water trickling out of the PSU casing... FARK!

So i get that cleaned up, pull out the hair dryer and get all the water cleaned up the best i can. After about an hour of that and after seeing no more water about the place i decided to take the challenge and boot up the PC, set up my RAID0 array and install my OS... being Vista SP1 Ultimate X64.

All was going great. Got OS installed, chipset, sound and GPU drives installed along with the Keyboard and Mouse as required. I then decided to see about Crossfire... and then realised that only ONE gpu was being recognised :( OH DEAR! So after a bit of screwing around i decided to shut down the comp and started pulling the loop apart to get the 2nd GPU out.

I tried each GPU by them selves and found that it was infact the 2nd GPU to be at fault. At POST it just beeped :( Fail.

So i threw in the Single GPU, sorted the loop out and went to boot up the Comp again but oh no... more issues. Pressing the power button would for a split second power up the Fans / Pumps but then it would shut down. I could hear a small clicking sound and went to investigate... I then saw more water in the PSU! OH GOD!!!

I quickly pulled it out and then even more water came out. I was scared :(. As my 2nd Rig uses the same PSU i pulled that out and threw it into the Games Rig. It powered up and all was good... w00t.

Now onto the Swimming PSU. I pulled the hair dryer out again and started do what i could. I decided to leave it below the heater over night as it was now 3.40am and i had work in the morning.

Fast foward to this morning, I double checked my Main rig, cleaned up my desk and then went to work. After coming home the 1st thing i did was check the PSU, all seemed try. So i put that in my 2nd Rig and held my breath... all worked GREAT. So, no worries there - YAY!!! BIG SIGN OF RELIEF.

So what now? Well, i got to return my 2nd 3870 tomorrow on my day off. Lucky for me the Zalman fans are really easy to put back on and you wouldnt know it was taken off at all. I hope it gets replaced on the spot, i might just end up buying another one depending on the result but yea.

Tomorrow Agenda while i am at MSY is the get the following:

1x WD500GIG SATAII HDD (for the Spare Rig - for more storage - Already one of them in there)
    1x WD500GIG IDE HDD (for storage in the Main Games Rig - no more SATA ports left so i thought i would get a IDE HDD I didnt want a External big one)
    1x Maxtor Mini One Touch 160GIG - This is powered from USB and will be a backup of my Main Data as a precaution to my RAID0 / IDE and Server Rig
    6x Noctua NF-P12 1300RPM Case Fans to replace all the ones currently in there as they spin slightly faster, are quieter (not that these are noisy at all) but bestof all... have a higher CMF and are better for my Rads.

On order from Flabbergast at the moment (pending money transfering through) are my 2x D5 Varios to replace my DB1 Pumps as i decided i need more power captain, especially for my CPU Loop. I also have a Rev2 Fuzion CPU Block coming a XPSC Chipset Block (might put it on my South Bridge) but its just onething to have lieing around.

I am also waiting on Gammods to get in the final bits n peices so i can finish off the outside. I cant wait to do that and it should look awesome if i can do i properlly!

So thats it, THANKS FOR READING!!! Hope you the Rig.

COMMENTS WELCOME!!!

/EDIT: Here are some more Pics and Stuff

[​IMG]

LCD Meaning:
    Ambient Temp (Infront of Front Rad) :: Ambient Case Temp (Top Rear of Case)
    GPU Loop Temp (Between Pump and Rad) :: CPU Loop Temp (Between Pump and 120mm Rad)

ANOTHER UPDATE: TEMPS N OC'ing

Hey All, posted this in the Intel Thread, but doubt it will get much feedback, so here it is also: LINKY - 45nm Wolfdale & Yorkfield Overclock Database

HERE ARE MY OC / BIOS SETTINGS:
    CPU: C2D E8400
    Product Code: BX80570E8400
    MM#: 895733
    FPO/BATCH #: Q807A414
    VERSION#: E27439-001 1.25V max
    PACK DATE: 03/31/2008

CoreTemp Details:
    CPUID:
    0x10676
    Rev: C0
    VID: 1.1125v
    TJ Max:
    105c
    Core0: 41
    Core1: 35

OK, so i have gone into BIOS and had a play, here are my settings so far:

CPU Clock Ratio: 9x
    Fine CPU Control: +0.0
    CPU Freq: 4GHz
    CPU Host Freq: 445

PCI Express Freq: 100

System Mem Multi (SPD): 890
    RAM Timing: 5-5-5-15
    DDR2 OverVoltage: +1.10v (1.9 in Bios)
    FSB OverVolltage: +0.10v
    CPU Voltage: 1.2875v
    Normal CPU VCore 1.22500v

What do yas think? Anything i should change???

I have tried going to 4.2GHz but it just locks up going into windows. I think my RAM is holding me back, i want to get some decent stuff so that i am not restricted by it any more.

If my Voltages or timing are out on anything PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I want a fast and stable system!!!

Cooling: D-Tek DB1 Pump (soon to be D5 Laing), D-Tek Fuzion with Large Nozzle (soon to be Rev2 NO NOZZLE), XPSC 240mm Slimline Rad + XPSC 120mm Standard Rad.

Ambient: 21.2 (in front of DVD Rom Drives)
    Case Ambient: 23.3 (Top Rear of Case, above CPU Socket)
    CPU Loop Temp: 23.4 (Between Pump and 120mm rad)
    GPU Loop Temp: 21.4 (Between Pump and Rad)

CPU LOOP FLOW: Pump > 120mm Rad > CPU Block > 240mm Rad > Micro Res
    GPU LOOP FLOW: Pump > 240mm Rad > GPU Block 1 > GPU Block 2 > Micro Res

THANKS GUYS. I would love some feedback.

6. HellTaxi

HellTaxi Member

Looks interesting, any reason you chose those blocks?

Also, are the LCDs for monitoring? Or do you have something special in mind?

Ideas for lighting yet?

7. OP
    OP
    RnegadeVyp3r

Yea, because they allow for a Neat Crossfire layout. I would have prefered the D-Tek Fuzion GPU Blocks BUT they are more restictive and at the time i ordered em i didnt intend to replace my pumps so soon.

A good thing is how neat they make the loop and they seem to be doing a great job of the temps.

See above for details on LCDs. As for lighitng, for now the fans are doing the job BUT when i replace them tomorrow or something that will be gone. I have some UV lights here but i have not decided. I wouldnt mind a Red Glow perhaps, but might stick with blue.

I will be adding in Green Coolant when i redo the loops, i might go Red, havent decided 100% but as i will be re adding in a GPU loop in the next 24 hours i am just using this as a flushing stage. When the Rev2 GPU Block, Pump and GPU get to me i will re doing it all. Probably Friday perhaps...

I will be adding in Temp results and stuff at the top of this post soon.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  8. illusionist2002

illusionist2002 Member

do one loop red n one green ;)

9. MomijiTMO

MomijiTMO Member

This is why we do a full leak testing without components but at least you were standing there with towels. Everything looks good but I'm curious why you didn't elect to use any form of clamp at the barbs. When I do my window [if really], I'll show you so you can laugh. Good job though =p. Did you file it down and make it smooth?

Best of luck RMAing that 3870.

10. Bleemv1

Bleemv1 Member

bad luck on the leaking water...hope it all gets sorted.

Also, if you every want to sell the DB1 Pumps I may be interested. :)

11. MomijiTMO

MomijiTMO Member

Is pinky red ok? Don't be too disheartened if you get that unless you are willing to pour the dye into your loop.

- Waits patiently for temp results -

12. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

Lol, note to self: dont refer people scared of water cooling to this thread!!! :D

Sucks to hear about the leaks man but sounds like the leak testing was well worth it. Rig is looking awesome, i'd really like a BIG case and this is just the kind of thing to gee me up for one!

Good luck with the RMA and look forward to some results.

13. OP
    OP
    RnegadeVyp3r

Thanks all.

I didnt use any clamps over most of the barbs coz i have never needed to with my previous stuff. i DID actually have Zip ties over the small barbs on the GPUs but its slipped off, dispite being really bloody tight. But after i changed to the longer barb all is fine.

If i do do two different loop colors i will do one red using Nulon Red Coolant as i did with my previous setup but i found that it doesnt stay vibrant too long :(

As for temp results, i mght load up some testing programs now and do it while its quiet at home before the kids and mrs get up and demand my attention.

As for selling the Pump(s), i may keep one of em and sell the other. I like to have some spare gear liein around but you might be able to twist my arm :lol:

And i dont see any dramas in RMA'ing the GPU< you wouldnt know it was watercooled or anything. There are NO marks on the PCB anyway, but the GPU Block tells a different story :sick: Lucky for me i Guess.

And i did file down the Window a bit more after those pics. It came up pretty good actually.

Anyways, off to bench mark!

>
    >
    >
    >

/EDIT: Here we have some temp / stress results for yas. Hope this helps ya and you like it all. I am pretty happy with the temps TBO, considering the OC / Voltage, small pumps and Rads i have.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  14. MomijiTMO

MomijiTMO Member

Corrected :D

I'm glad the 3870 looks new so you can RMA it.

15. OP
    OP
    RnegadeVyp3r

Temps added to above Post. Seems stable also... yea, i know it was only done for like 10mins but meh :) Good enough for me so far.

Now to start winding back the Voltage... or increase the FSB!

16. MomijiTMO

MomijiTMO Member

I know that if your oc can survive a 7 hour Prime bashing, it's rock solid but to be honest I have no idea what that is simulating. When in the hell are you ever going to do something so strenuous? I think an hour or two is good enough.

Keep on testing :D

17. DivHunter

DivHunter Member

Unless you're running a number of Asus boards using LLC, as soon as that 100% usage stops so does the PC :tongue:

18. pippin88

pippin88 Member

Am I the only one who thinks it is wrong to RMA a card that was killed through fault of the owner? RMA is for components that genuinely fail, not ones that you pour water over and then try to turn on.

If you have a leak in future, leave it longer. I had a couple of leaks in my current build - mopped it all up with paper towels and used an air blower to get water out from under PCI slots etc and then blasted the components under fans for 24 hours. Haven't had a problem. It's very important to dry things out properly before turning on. Water on components with no power doesn't do any damage.

19. rubba-chikin

rubba-chikin Member

Bloody game to have that many connections and not use any kind of clamps... Moving it around a lot is almost guaranteed to spring a leak.

I hope you aren't planning to ever attend a LAN with it.

20. OP
    OP
    RnegadeVyp3r

I will give it a all nighter probably and let it go til i wake up to see how it fairs, but so far with about 2 hours of testing it hasnt even sneazed. 3dmark06 was fine for 45mins looping of the CPU test :)

No, you wont be the only one, i can promise you that. Yea its my fault but if i can claim it i might aswell. And seeing as we are talking about that...

MSY today took both my GPUs back that i took in and as they didnt have any stock to replace them they are going to replace them with new ones when the next order comes in Friday or Monday morning for me. He didnt even test em or anything this time. I am a pretty regular customer down there and so i guess its paid off.

I also got my 6 Noctua Fans, put them in and all is going good. Grabbed some more HDDs for my backups and now just copying data before i image my RAID0 OS and also backup the Server Box.

Yea, when i change pumps and stuff in the coming days i will throw more clamps on to be safe. And no, i dont move this thing around alot. I dont like the idea of taking it to LANs, thats why i have my 2nd Games Rig (see sig for specs).