Staff in/out board

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by waksimus, Feb 3, 2009.

1. waksimus

waksimus Member

Our OHS person has recommended we have a Staff in/out board to keep track of our staff movements in case of emergencies etc., we now have an old school whiteboard which no one uses.

So does anyone know of a simple program that users can sign on/off from their pc & have a main intranet page to show everyones movements?
    the interwebs has a few shareware programs but they over complicate a simple process.

2. Rass

Rass Member

Microsoft have a corporate messenger application which ties into outlook/exchange which will display status of meetings, away from computer etc.

3. tunagirll

tunagirll Member

You may find it easier to use one of the dedicated in/out boards with magnetic markers, they also have a time line so you can mark when you expect to be back in. Hang it near the front door and make it mandatory to adjust it when you go out and back in.

4. xcom619

xcom619 Member

not sure if this helps but...

when i worked at bigw and a fire alarm went off it would print off a list of everyone signed in, and would be used for a role call, now im fairly sure they run some kind of linux script to do it but i cant remeber the name/company of the sign in box...

if it helps it was red and fairly large

5. yoda123

yoda123 Member

Am I the only one concerned about digital systems for use in emergency circumstances.

God knows why there is a fire, maybe the buildings power supply overloaded and has been taken out ?

6. Foliage

Foliage Member

If it was designed for this purpose I'd imagine it has built in backup power, it'd be pretty silly to overlook that.

7. Iceman

Iceman Member

Ah yes, I see your problem. Remove the OHS person's fingers and vocal chords. They will no longer make irritating suggestions to IT :)

8. CordlezToaster

CordlezToaster Member

I agree with the above poster if they aint using a whiteboard now what chance will you have of them using a digital method?

Have a staff where abouts book at reception like we do.
    Date/Name/Time out/Time in/Where abouts/

If the can use that for a month or two then look at a digital method

9. Farkenell

Farkenell Member

do you guys use swipe cards?

10. iceazn

iceazn Member

We programmed a couple of buttons on our phone system, one for in and one for out.
    It worked for about 1 day, noone remembers to press a button when they come in or leave.

11. woj

woj Member

This will only give you an idea if the person is at the desk or not... they could be elswhere on site.

I'd say a swipe card system at the front door (or any other doors) is probably the way i'd go. Have employees swipe in/out as they come and go, if you don't swipe in/out in a day you don't get paid.

12. Mac

Mac Member

http://www.kronos.com/

13. woj

woj Member

14. novakain

novakain Member

The electronic whiteboard idea won't work. As has been said before, people are just as likely to not use an electronic whiteboard the same as a real one. The system we use at the moment is a product called whoisin, and it suffered that fate.

The only real advantage of it is if you have people spread out over different geographical locations, otherwise the real thing is just as good. A better investment would be buying management and supervisors a big stick each to prod and/or smack people with who didn't use the whiteboard IMO.

15. below5

below5 Member

You can make them work, i found getting up them if they didn't use it was quite a good way of encouraging them to use it! Eventually they just did it automatically to avoid the fallout :) There are a lot of things that will fail if no one champions the cause, you just have to be determined and push for it to work.

16. Squeezer

Squeezer Member

We use a product calles Whoisin

http://www.hudsoft.com/index.html

It runs on startup on peoples PCs.

Must admit though poeople used it when we first installed it but most users are pretty slack about updating their status nowdays

17. woj

woj Member

Yet they are probably more than happy to update their facebook status every 5 mins... go figure :p

18. Farkenell

Farkenell Member

well there ya go, theres an idea, implement it into their facebook lol

19. MATTATHOME

MATTATHOME Member

Cant you make some excel script visual basic thingo(best technical jargon used) and a touch screen monitor.

how many are you talking about?? 5.10..100??

MATT

20. GiantGuineaPig

GiantGuineaPig Member

We have the same problem.

Office Communicator does a pretty good job though, and you can just change your status to 'lunch' - pretty much like MSN but with Outlook and Phone functionality too (so if you're in a meeting that's in Outlook, it will change your status automatically)