1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

[WORKLOG] stainless rigey didge tube build (Big-ish update)

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by havabeer, Mar 11, 2014.

1. OP
    OP
    havabeer

havabeer Member

i "borrowed" it from work. (got tons of it laying around) any metal supply shops will have it though not sure on prices. you could also try plumbing stores, you might be able to save some costs and just get 304 grade.

i wouldn't think you'd be able to buy nickle plated copper tube because as soon as you bend it the plating would flake off. which means you'd have to bend it all up, and send it off to be plated.

2. tracti

tracti Member

looking good mate, did it seal up ok with the compression fittings?
    Keen to see the send result

3. aeries

aeries Member

i was planning to get copper tube, bend it up and send it to get chromed :p

any maintenance needed on the tube? e.g. do you need to give it a protective layer, or is just a sand down enough? and do we have to handle with gloves?

keen to see how this turns out!

4. terrabyte

terrabyte Member

Looks Sick! Keep up the good work mate :thumbup:

5. OP
    OP
    havabeer

havabeer Member

Sounds like that's going to get expensive really quick, also if you get it plated make sure you ask about how thick the layer will be as it may have some issues with the o-ring crush, but that might be a question for saate in his other thread

No sanding or anything is needed, whole reason of using stainless tube is its lack of iron makes it less reactive. Sanding might help get it a bit shinier but I'm happy with it how it is. Not sure why it would need to be handled with gloves??

6. aeries

aeries Member

my hands are oily as fuck so yeah, not sure but most likely it wont leave any fingerprints or the like. definitely gonna look into this! thanks!

7. OP
    OP
    havabeer

havabeer Member

nothing a wipe down with a cloth shouldn't fix, if you need any help with bending let me know and can impart the small amount of on the job wisdom i have

8. Saate

Saate Member

Plating is only microns thick so absolutely no issues with o-ring fit. Hugh and I have even been playing with bigger o-rings in the fittings which is an order of magnitude more and even though it's tight it's still workable.

9. OP
    OP
    havabeer

havabeer Member

when did this thread get so sexual??

10. aeries

aeries Member

the moment you made it :Paranoid:

11. Saate

Saate Member

Around about here:

:p

12. crocodaVe

crocodaVe Member

Onya havabeer for taking this on & posting it. Top ideas here.
    Not fully sure on the loop design.

Really good job though mate :thumbup:
    Well done.

13. OP
    OP
    havabeer

havabeer Member

cheers for that. yeah the loop design is a bit hard when you have an external rad, i'm sure with minimal modding i could stick a two 140 rads inside the case above the intakes and make a cool design out of that.

14. Moptimus

Moptimus Member

Well if you put it like that...

15. Phatboy69

Phatboy69 Member

Nice work there!
    Im thinking of moving to some more substantial tubing for my rebuild as all the mishaps and leaks with my system seem to revolve around tubing leaks from collapsed or kinked tubes.

Gives me something to think about.
    Was looking at some ENZED catalogues today to see what industrial hoses with fittings might be usable with PC water blocks as well.

Look forward to seeing your end result!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  16. OP
    OP
    havabeer

havabeer Member

not sure how it would look. you might as well have just done normal/colored hose rather then get special fittings and adapters to run proper high pressure hoses which give no benefit aesthetically or functionally

17. Phatboy69

Phatboy69 Member

Yeah unless I find something that looks great and has the right fittings it wouldn't be worth it. They do have some nice stainless steel braided hoses though! (real exy I bet) I would be just a bit paranoid about bumping a push fit seal out with copper/stainless pipe and its not exactly easily serviceable. Sure looks horn though!

As I said im just thinking about it and investigating. I want something more substantial when I overhaul my beast and go with an aquarium chiller to replace the rads and fans. A chiller needs a much higher flow-rate which increases pressure in the loop too.

18. Saate

Saate Member

As long as you get the pipe into the fitting properly there's just about no chance on earth you could bump it out. Bowling ball and pressure tests pending but here's 2kg of weight failing to pull one out:

[​IMG]

19. OP
    OP
    havabeer

havabeer Member

hey saate.

i might be able to get a pressure gaguge and knock up a rig and do some testing if you'd like. i guess the only limiting factor will be where to get high enough pressure water as i'll be limited by my mains pressure.

20. Saate

Saate Member

Yeah that'd be cool :) I agree that mains pressure isnt enough - martins liquid lab did do some pressure tests using mains but it was just a pressure-drop test based on throughputs of different fittings.

I'll post you some 16mm o-rings to test with too, they're a bit tighter than the stock ones and a bit trickier to fit pipe into but hold a lot tighter too.