1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Star Citizen

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Mikuji, Oct 10, 2012.

1. gtarmanrob

gtarmanrob Member

in my honest opinion...people who call it 'Scam Citizen' are fukn idiots. we all knew what we were getting into when we dove in. if you didnt, that's your fault. they have never lied, they have simply been wrong and missed dates. it has definitely been a drawn out process but those of us there from the beginning can appreciate the scope of what they are trying to do here.

sometimes people seem to make it out like their hands were forced to spend money on these things? you made the effort, you clicked the mouse. you dont like it, fix it or deal with it.

not happy, want to bug out, either sell/trade on ebay or the reddit grey market. i have sold plenty of ships via both methods and made more money back than i spent thanks to exchange rates. the Reddit has some very genuine buyers who at the very least will get you a dollar for dollar purchase on what you have spent, if you need out that badly.

but you can take my word for it, there is a way out for the regretful. the spiteful, don't deserve the game anyway.

2. zbone

zbone Member

You are being dishonest here. Early backers committed to something completely different than what it became in 6-12 months after the start of crowdfunding campaign. Their complaints are absolutely on point.

3. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Your right, but I seem to remember refunds being offered to all of them.

4. Bertross

Bertross Member

LOL imagine if cytek released another game engine and they decided to use that instead :D

5. Murmandamus

Murmandamus Member

It's still basically a tech demo with not a whole lot to do. So playing it for an hour or 2 then shelving it until the next big release is what most seem to do.

It's only expensive if you buy extra ships and there's no need to do that since you'll be able to earn them in game.

The cheap options are $45USD for Star Citizen (the MMO) or $45USD for Squadron 42 (the single player game). Or if you want both you can get a package for $60USD.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/game-packages

You just have to keep in mind that with those you'll have a small underpowered ship, but that's not really an issue at this point.

They have free weekends fairly often so you could just create an account and wait until one of those rolls around if you want to try it for free.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  6. bart5986

bart5986 Member

When you can't buy ships after release and the game will be launched publicly after its finished everyone will get the same starter ship, this isn't an issue.

If the game isn't fun for new players then they won't have any income. They will do whatever it takes to balance the fact that people have big ships already.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  7. roamin

roamin Member

cheers for the heads up.

i have noticed theres some seriously expensive ships you can buy, i can see this being a pay to win situation for sure. think i will steer clear for now. looks amazing but i will wait and see how it all pans out.

8. bart5986

bart5986 Member

But how?

You can't pay for anything like that once the game is released.

The people who already have ships are equivalent to people who would put the hours in for it.

And even then, the only people who will have massive ships that will take a long time to save up for would be rare as they cost an insane amount right now. $150 won't get you anything decent.

At the end of the day some people will play for 16 hours a day and get ahead of what you are up to. At some point you will have to stop playing and other people who started playing at release will get a better ship then you.

Or alternatively think of it like joining an MMO or Elite Dangerous etc after the game has been released. Everyone has a ship better then the starter ship, does that mean its not worth playing?

9. power

power Member

I often wonder this about early access as a game model, if you don't get in at the ground floor is the game just not for you anymore - is the player base established and developers need to prod their whales?

In the case here of Star Citizen how would joe plebs go buying just the full retail edition at release even survive Star Citizen against the current whales?

10. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Its not an issue for other games

I think Elite Dangerous solved it by making the larger ships slower

11. Sledge

Sledge Member

I look at it the same way as real life..

When i was born others who were already alive had their houses, cars, boats, bikes etc etc

Should i have just given up and killed myself straight away? Or put in the time to get all those things myself....

12. bassyblue

bassyblue Member

I am an early backer. I also voted in the poll to keep the stretch goals going. Are my concerns or views valid as well?

13. Murmandamus

Murmandamus Member

It's not pay to win because it's not a pure PvP game. The majority of gameplay will be PvE making the ships other people start with fairly irrelevant.

Same in Elite. Anacondas destroy sidewinders in seconds but new players get on in open just fine because there's lots for them to do that doesn't involve PvP.

Also consider that most of the more expensive ships are multicrew, so even if you start with a small ship you could crew on a larger one giving you more opportunities for different gameplay and coop.

14. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Sorry but this is wrong.

Elite Dangerous gets away with it because its essentially a dead game that nobody plays, so the majority of space is empty.

If you go to a busy area you will often find Anacondas interdicting newer players and obliterating them.

Both Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous are full on PVP games.

The majority of gameplay will be PVP in the sense that the danger from other players will be a constant threat.

15. hosh0

hosh0 Member

If you take steam figures to be roughly 50% of all owners of ED then...

https://steamspy.com/app/359320

http://steamcharts.com/app/359320

16. gtarmanrob

gtarmanrob Member

Not being dishonest at all. I am an early Kickstarter backer. The original campaign was for a Wing Commander-like single player game with an online persistent-universe component that was in a way its own entity. A return to true space-combat sim from the creator of Wing Commander, to never be touched by a AAA publisher. We were also told from the start the initial crowd fund target was to compliment the amount already given to CR and his new company by other investors. We dont need any more info than that if they choose not to share it as it is really none of our business.

We didnt buy shares, or invest in the game in the usual sense. Pledging is almost gambling in a sense that you couls offer much for little to no return, with no real way to predict any outcomes.

The game has grown in scope and time exponentially since then obviously. And all the things they had been adding, we backers voted on as 'tier awards' each time they broke a pledge/funding milestone.

Your point only backs my own really - the people that wanted out, got out, and ok fair enough. But end of the day it was because they didn't really know what they were getting into. That is entirely their fault. It really is that simple.

On the subject of pay to win...not even gonna go there again. Except to say anyone who has actually spent any time playing the game would know it doesnt matter how big or well equipped your ship is, if you cant fly it you're fucked anyway. This game uses a realistic space flight model that does not hold your hand at all. The only advantage any early backer will have over someone who waits til release, is time and experience from playing the game early.

17. bart5986

bart5986 Member

So take that number, minus a huge chunk of players who only play private/squad.

Then consider how big the universe is in Elite Dangerous.

And that is why most of the world if empty and you can go years without seeing players unless you go to new player starting areas or community missions.

Elite Dangerous is mostly computer generated and has endless amounts of nothing whereas Star Citizen is hand crafted and will be insanely more popular.

18. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

people weren't allowed to kill you as a baby

19. Murmandamus

Murmandamus Member

In my book if I spend the majority of my time doing missions/cargo/mining etc, that's majority PvE gameplay, even if it's done with a risk of PvP encounters.

I expect starting and more populated/civilized systems to be fairly well protected (NPC police etc) with increased risk as you go away from them. It can't just be open slather PvP everywhere or troll groups like the goons will just shut the game down. New players have to be able to make a start and earn money somehow or it'll die a quick death.

20. bassyblue

bassyblue Member

People also seem to ignore the part where NPCs are slated to make up 90% of the population.