1. Win some Crucial goodies in OCAU's Christmas Treasure Hunt!
    Dismiss Notice

Star Citizen

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Mikuji, Oct 10, 2012.

1. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

Im excited for all other publishers to cotton on to this new way of fleecing the consumer. It's just what the industry needs...

2. power

power Member

they already have. never ending early access is the new hotness. game can be broken forever now.

3. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

True, I forgot about Dayz lol

What a world we live in, no better time to be alive... amiright

4. power

power Member

depends, do you like to make your own fun?

5. summoner

summoner Member

for just $50 i can send you prerelease updates on how I make fun! sign up now!

6. Frag

Frag Member

I just wish they made a direct remake of wingcommander with todays graphics and I'd be happy.. obviously add some more content and missions.. I miss those days.

DangerMaus likes this.
  7. Sarsippius

Sarsippius Member

I found it a bit hard to justify even the $40 I put in years ago but I'm not salty or anything, I knew it was a bit of a punt and at the end of the day $40 was not big dollars to help support something that could turn out great. I think it will get here eventually and probably be pretty amazing but I don't really get others having poured hundreds and thousands into it.

I've spent something like $1,500+ on iRacing and others would no doubt think that's pretty crazy but the difference is, that's over the course of almost 10 years and would account for easily 1,000+ hours of play time.

8. XanaTos

XanaTos Member

He sums it up pretty well I think

9. Rubberband

Rubberband Member

Stopped watching once he said 'gouging'.

I've not paid more than my initial pledge. People need to just get the fuck over this and wait to see whether they are savvy investors or gullible fools.

10. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

each day it looks more like the latter. he raises a good issue in that there are people buying those super expensive packages and that does create an uneven playing field. on day one you're going to have people with the $45 packages vs people who have spent 28,000? even ships on the lower end seem to cost a couple of hundred. it's interesting that MMOs used to ban selling gold or items for real world money but now most developers have shifted to using it as a revenue stream. i was extremely close to purchasing a package myself, i didn't as i noticed there were always much larger more expensive packages coming out that had seemingly much better ships, i didn't like that. it seems the supporters are more like a cult around chris roberts, everyone else stopped caring and moved on but they get super defensive, probably because they have a bad feeling deep down but are in denial.

in defence of the game i would say:
    • GTA V cost 137 million and the old republic 200 million to make so it's not that much for the scope of the game.
    • other devs are using similar tactics to fleece people.
    against it:
    • devs who are using similar tactics have a finished product.
    • bringing out new bigger more expensive ships and bundles feels like a psychological game played on people who have pledged.
    • development seems to be focused on bringing out new stuff to sell; ships, tanks, land etc. rather than delivering the core experience. to date there are over 100 ships, they should release the game first then start peddling the add-ons (like gta v).
    • having all the really expensive packages and ships available creates the impression that some players will be far better off than others, this is not conducive to growing a large player base which will be vital to make this game work.
    • chris roberts has a track record of not delivering.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    Rubberband likes this.
  11. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

GTA 5 was around 250million wasnt it? Mind you half that could be marketing.

12. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

i keep saying this and i'll say it again: I just want to play the singleplayer campaign!

Sledge likes this.
  13. Sledge

Sledge Member

My keyboard is worn out from saying that

ni9ht_5ta1k3r likes this.
  14. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

137m on dev, 128m on marketing. CoD MW2 was 250m with 50m dev, 200m marketing

15. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Latest RtV reveals:
    1. No SQ42 in 2018. No roadmap either
    2. SQ42 is too big and ambitious, and probably shouldn’t have been made
    3. 500 people working on Star Citizen & Squadron 42 across 4.5 studios
    4. Only have enough people to focus on about 10 different things at any time
    5. They don’t have enough people working on tools
    6. They only have 3 AI programmers; and the AI for FPS characters won’t appear until next year – probably
    7. The project is a bit of a mess; Chris says he’s an optimist and bad at judging time schedules
    8. There was not enough “game” prior to 3.0 (released in Dec 2017)
    9. Chris isn’t happy with the first iteration of SQ42
    10. Still fixing IFCS (flight model) even though John Pritchett*, Ph.D, the lead who has been working on that, the physics etc, just announced his exit from the project
    11. 3.3 is bigger than 3.0, but they are prepared to drop things out of 3.3 as-needed
    12. No idea when capital ships (e.g. Idris) will appear in the game as this relies on Object Container Streaming. Also they can’t yet LOD them properly

This history video reveals a lot more than I realised... :( :(

summoner likes this.
  16. Sledge

Sledge Member

Except it was the original concept...
    Pretty sure the PU was a stretch goal or addon? Though i may be wrong

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  17. zbone

zbone Member

It's no longer fun to tease RSI fanboys. Poor fellas.

Azer1234 and summoner like this.
  18. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

When will Squadron 42 be out Chris?

19. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Gives indie developers a chance to develop games that they can't fund themselves. I'm not really against it tbh. Plenty of these games would not have been made if not for Kickstarter and Early Access. At least with Early Access, they have to have a game thats playable.

20. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Im on the $60 up front investment on the original $2M kickstarter. Really haven't followed the project closely though Ill read the news every now and then. Blokes building what should be the best game ever built. Dont care if it takes another 6 years. Ill play it when it comes but I am not stupid enough to throw any more money at him.

Ill leave that to others.

summoner and Sledge like this.