Star Citizen

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Mikuji, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Murmandamus

Murmandamus Member

Squadron 42 video was shown at the end. Chris stated OCS was the last technical hurdle holding it up. With that in testing (PTU is rolling out now) hopefully it won't be too far away. Some time in 2019 maybe?

Really enjoyed the tech streams today. It was like an extended RTV. The face tech they've developed is pretty amazing. Missed the start with the gameplay stuff. Will have to watch that later.

I cracked 1M in 3.2 with an Avenger in under 2 weeks. Mostly from trading. That ship pricing doesn't put it too far from Elite IMO. I'd also assume that higher ratings get you higher paying missions as well as different activities being better earners than others.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018 at 2:04 PM
  2. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Why exactly is the "face tech" amazing?

3. joecool55

joecool55 Member

Will be very, very surprised if the game is released in 2019, more so if they do it without stripping all theyve stated of the game

4. Murmandamus

Murmandamus Member

I guess you missed the presentation on character customization? LA Noire has great animation and good detail, but this takes it to a whole other level.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/320913467?t=03h42m41s

Are you talking about SQ42 or Star Citizen? Star Citizen is still years away certainly. We'll find out in December how far away SQ42 is as they'll be releasing a roadmap. Though they've promised a SQ24 roadmap before and didn't release one.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018 at 2:24 PM
  5. Sledge

Sledge Member

6. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Not really another level. Certainly nothing amazing, just what you would expect for a AAA title with famous actors TBH.

7. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Incidently, they recorded the headline actors for SQ42 around 3 years ago now... is it time for a sequel already?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018 at 3:43 PM
  8. raGneG

raGneG Member

A wee bit different in that they sit SUPER still and act with their face only. So the faces are amazing but they're all filmed individually and then planted onto animated bodies. At least that's what I understand. Star Citizen is motion cap'd like movies, actors on a stage acting things out. Their movements, walking, limbs etc are ported into the engine and adjusted. Also, the hair, textures etc are much higher. From what I've seen.. if you A/B'd Star Citizen with Red Dead Redemption 2 for a current example, SC would be ahead on all metrics. Having said that they have tiers of quality that end up in a place like RDR2 and even further down. But their tier 1 actors are excellent and on par/exceeding any current gen IMO.

9. Murmandamus

Murmandamus Member

I was also referring the customization, face variations etc. Not the main actors. The next level is that they're getting high fidelity with dynamic faces without varying head shapes and sizes without screwing up other areas like hats, glasses etc. Other games always have clipping issues with that.

10. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

There is nothing next level shown and nothing amazing. Yes LA Noire is dated I was just giving an example of facial capture from a long time ago. If you want more current examples then look at uncharted, tomb raider, etc.

11. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

If this was released now as in the video a trailer for a game nobody had heard of that came from nowhere this would be very very cool. It honestly looks very cool, however in reality it carries with the knowledge of all that this has been going for ages with not much to show for it which removes a lot of the shine.

Sledge likes this.
  12. Murmandamus

Murmandamus Member

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that, given the lack of character customization in all the titles you listed :p

13. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

I didn't list titles based on customization but rather facial animation capture and rigging because that is was I was talking about. You brought up customization which again is nothing impressive or next level.