Star Citizen

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Mikuji, Oct 10, 2012.

1. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Lol, you don't want me to start on your problems champ.

Utter nonsense

Please point out to the myopic among us what is so easy to see?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    Fortigurn likes this.
  2. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I'm not the one who is always in this thread saying bad things about it while being misinformed.

Don't you have better things to do with your life then spend your life in a thread that you don't like?

3. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

You can sugar coat this all you want, but wasted time and money is wasted. Yes, the scope creep is the #1 problem for all the delays and changes, this is why it's a bad thing - not brave and ambitious..
    All the ships developed for flight and sale in 2014/2015 were certainly not "placeholders", and any that are not getting a refresh (yet) have pissed off owners demanding a refresh because the look dated or under-spec comparatively to the new designs, - the cycle continues.. the problem is these reworks don't garner sales from original owners.

When are they going to start letting go of sections of their dev team to cut costs? Not anytime soon..

Edit: Mustang series, Avenger series, Cutlass Black, Aurora series, Freelancer, Hornet, Reliant series and 300 series variants and more are all being or have been reworked so far.

placeholder..

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  4. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

No, you're the one praising an alpha state game 7 years in dev while being misinformed.
    I spend 5-10mins in this thread once every few months, hardly "my life".

Fortigurn likes this.
  5. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

Yah.... this argument again. FFS

6. Nian

Nian Member

Mmm. People wouldn't give a shit how long the development takes if they didn't get told from day one that it was in development. They freak out about the money too. But it's cost half of what Battlefront cost.

7. bassyblue

bassyblue Member

Engine development, asset development. Running a live environment for several years. It's not exactly quantum physics.

*edit* I'm with Whatdoesthisdo. This argument is tired and old and, funnily enough, keeps getting pushed over and over by the same people that like to call the fans of this game "cultists" without ever seeing the irony of it.

8. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

None of those are remotely finished and certainly not worth the time and cost nor are they in a state that justifies the time and expense.
    I've never thought of, or called SC backers or defenders cultists but people like Bart make it difficult. You to a lesser extent as well.

9. Sledge

Sledge Member

fixed that for you.

10. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Battlefront as in the starwars shooter? Both games combined cost less than this has so far and both were finished in what will end up being half the time.

Sphinx2000 likes this.
  11. Azer1234

Azer1234 Member

Boys boys, we all know where the money went.... on the entrance doors in the LA studio

Pinkeh and ledhead900 like this.
  12. bassyblue

bassyblue Member

Name one thing that I've said or done that makes me seem cultish even remotely?

So because they haven't finished that means they haven't been working solidly? That's pretty much what you're saying.

13. bart5986

bart5986 Member

You are right.

But as I said, the problem is that the kickstarter video, and a lot of the early content was designed well before they had the company and team properly together and there is a lot of evidence that they have essentially been learning on the go.

I'm saying they are placeholders because they were designed before the game was properly mapped out and instead designed on the rollercoaster ride called kickstarter.

This is not uncommon either with new companies that start from 1 person. You can't hire 200 people at once so you have to do it slowly, but this is also bad for getting a quality game started from scratch as you can't wait for a high quality group of staff as the kickstarter mentality forces you to make progress, and to publicise it.

14. Sledge

Sledge Member

Regarding RTX:

https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/50259/thread/rtx
    And a few quotes:
    As opposed to all the other "as well" features they've added that have delayed it by years already?

15. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

Fortigurn likes this.
  16. ledhead900

ledhead900 Member

I see everyone is still going... round n round n roundabout if StarCitizen will ever be completed or not.
    I took the to forums after about the 4th year into the dev cycle, about the feature creep, genuine concerns about the paid business model this far post backing campaign cycle, a number of gripes about how I can foretell they are never going to remove the paid ships even once the game is out of Alpha purely based around how it is not too hard to see the greed setting in.

Alas I gave up after about four days into the thread being visible all it came to was another war from the most hardcore of fans who obviously worship Chris but we all seem to have forgotten about Freelancer which was another Chris Roberts title which was only half completed then M$soft had to pick up what was left and make it into what we actually enjoyed. RSI's biggest competitor being Elite Dangerous delivered on their promises years ago and met most of their deadlines all while being quite humble about and to a direct competitor.

I have no doubt the game will get done eventually, but the real question is simply when is eventually.. like others have pointed out seven years into the pipeline so far and we still basically have a tech demo and a false economy, we are years away from balancing the economy and even further away from the game promised all those years ago, and yet the only noticeable progress (Yes I have tested the alpha every so often when a major revision hit) was incredible amounts of work being put into the storefront while the state of the game remained to this day mostly a rolling documentary of asset design and minor improvements gameplay wise for the better half of three years.

If this was any other team such as EgoSoft, Elite Dangerous devs etc the hate train would have far surpassed the loyalty by now.
    So I think the disappointment is real especially for the newcomers they have no idea what they are buying into and the backing process has long been finished and we can call this out for what it is, early access if you will but yet nothing more than an alpha and a game which has been in the dev turbine for far too long without substance to show for it beyond an early demo of the game.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  17. bart5986

bart5986 Member

They have more money to make by making it an enjoyable game then they do by allowing you to buy ships after release and everyone leaving.

Backers knew literally during the kickstarter that Chris Roberts was a scope creep fanatic. This was literally discussed on their forums during the kickstarter.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter. There are no real competitors so to have a successful game they just have to release faster then a future competitor.

They are hardly a competitor, although it might be the closest.

Elite Dangerous promised very little, and delivered very little. Its also a completely different game to what Star Citizen fans want.

Elite Dangerous is a peer to peer networking game which cancels any ability to take it seriously. Its full of shortcuts to release the game quickly like using small maps you teleport between for space among many other things.

Outside the great combat and atmosphere the gameplay is quite poor. Its completely devoid of human players 99.99% of the time, there is no "danger" despite it being called Elite Dangerous, and its very grindy.

---

Honestly I think the real concern is if the game will be fun

18. Sledge

Sledge Member

......And when

ledhead900 likes this.
  19. ledhead900

ledhead900 Member

I want to reply to Bart but I feel like nothing of those who say who feel different and rightfully so, the opinions of those over the dev cycle are justified will just simply not be heard. I read through the last few pages and the general energy is that this person will argue no matter how you approach this major problem. "......And when" is right!

A lot of early backers are thousands into the hole and no game to show for it, yes we know what we all got into but is that an excuse? Do other AAA devs get away with an endless dev cycle was this not the demise of Steam Greenlight?

With pop up devs never completing the work and is this not the same type of critique other Steam's Early Access games get when they take forever to finish, Steam is just but one example where I could talk about "No Mans Sky" however general point to be made is that gamers are not stupid people we have more understanding than studios like to acknowledge at times. Seven years is too long for anything to still be in Alpha without its core gameplay elements completed but my points were still valid, the forums and monetization of assets have seen more time than game development. I don't understand what is so ambitious tho?

The only difference between how this works and a number of other current games in the genre is getting up and walking around doing stuff on your ship with other people and an absolutely absurd if not (I called this out after a few years into the dev cycle and hardware generations) too ambitiously complicated model meshes (5 generations of hardware later and it still is running like a dog... but the fans are going to call "OPTIMISATION" aren't they :rolleyes:) but the end of the day if people believe that the sectors won't be instanced into smaller rooms they will be sorely mistaken If anything if they don't instance rooms and cut down the traffic from Ai ships and so forth almost nobody is going get any resemblance of decent frame rates because of how complex the asset meshes will be and are, just sitting in the hanger for a lot of people and the game can see as low as 40fps and that is without any actual on-screen activity that RSI touts as being a major part of the game.

20. bart5986

bart5986 Member

At the end of the day this game will either be Duke Nukem Forever or the next big space game.

The real problem with people like you is that you try to create all these hypothetical reasons as to why the game is going to be bad.

As I've said in the past, you are going to need to wait for a lot more development before anyone can say if the game will be good or not.

Trying to make some kind of ridiculous controversial story about it is just hilarious though.

It sounds like you haven't played the game in a long time as you are simply wrong.

This reinforces my point that its more about the drama rather then the end result for you.

Most of the fans paid $30 (or one level higher) for both the SP and MP and can see the value alone from SP.

I don't know why you care about all the whales who spend $3000 on the game. Its their gamble into a game that might not end up an enjoyable game, why do you care about those people?

You should be thanking them for a chance at a good game, there have been many other successful kickstarter games that have been helped by whales.

Also these whales can't be "in the hole" the whole thing was a gamble.

1. They didn't know it was going to be released, 2. they didn't know if the ship would be easily acquired 3. They didn't know if the ship would be any good.

A lot of people said they just wanted to support the game

ledhead900 likes this.