Star Citizen

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Mikuji, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Nian

Nian Member

EVE Online has time dilation because of many hundreds to thousands of players in one area. Star citizen will be fine with maybe tops 250 players in an area, think two carriers, a few smaller caps and the rest multi-crew and single pilot.

To achieve this many players is also why the new flight models and many other changes have been implemented. To reduce network activity. Chris Roberts said so last week.

2. Nian

Nian Member

The majority of data is used from ships and their modules and various states. Players not so much. So a big ship will use a good bit of data, the crew isn't as hard to handle.

3. bassyblue

bassyblue Member

That's pretty much why I haven't bothered coming here as often.

4. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

I'm talking about how it might handle server player caps and server meshing in terms of space battles and the way OCS works. A single server couldn't handle two ships with 80 players each onboard let alone a dozen. Each ship is an OC in order to handle player movement inside it while it's moving around which would mean each server only needs data about the other server's OC's, not everything that's happening inside them. I'm not sure where you're getting the 250 player figure from, I haven't seen anything that says they're expecting to achieve five times the current cap. The parallel networking improvements certainly don't seem to be enough to increase it that much.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  5. Nian

Nian Member

That's why it is still in alpha. They are working on the player cap, otherwise large capital ships are pointless. So don't be naive and accept that 50 will not be the final cap. AGAIN, it's the ships that cost the most in the network. Not the players themselves.

6. Nian

Nian Member

GamesBeat: What’s the goal as far as how large a group of people could be in one battle or something like that?

Roberts: I’d like to say as many as we can fit. That’s the hope, especially with all the work we’re doing on the tech and the tools. Before we’re actually doing the server meshing we have to make everything really efficient, and that’s why we’re doing it this way. Also, we’re being a big tech pass to make the shift less expensive. But we’ll have a balance. 200 people at least fighting each other in their ships, whether it’s in big capital ships that they’re manning together — the hope with Star Citizen is that people can just do what they want to do.

7. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

There is nothing naive about what I'm saying, you just don't seem to understand it. I never said 50 would be the final player cap, I specifically said that it wouldn't be. IMO it's naive to assume some network tweaking will be able to quadruple the current playercap. I mentioned the pre-servermeshing improvements and you should probably look into how much it will increase the playercap. I'm trying to explain to you how they might achieve the higher player count beyond traditional methods.

Can you provide traffic data for player vs ship traffic btw?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  8. Nian

Nian Member

Traffic data? Some old article buried on the RSI web page. If you're curious have a search for it, but it's difficult to find the older stuff. So I'm not bothering.

9. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Yes I wanted to see the traffic data that you're so adamant about :rolleyes:.

Large capital ships can still be run with 50 players per server. That's what OCS and server meshing is for. The simplest form would be a 50 player limit per room on capital ships, each room is an OC inside a meshed capital ship OC.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  10. Nian

Nian Member

You are hung up on the mesh. Erin Roberts quite clearly said the aim for NON mesh is 200 players. Beyond that, with the mesh networking he want's to see thousands online but not in the same instanced area.

11. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Was this part specifically mentioned in the video you posted? or somewhere else?

12. Nian

Nian Member

Bored Gamer was reading from a published article, I gave you the snippet from the article. In the youtube page, you will find a link to that article.

So Just Watch the Damned Thing.

13. bassyblue

bassyblue Member

3.5 is live now. Smoothest it's ever run on my old system.

14. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

- Walk to ship screen.
    - Wait 2 minutes for expedited insurance of lost ship.
    - Walk to ship.
    - Take off and jump to Arc Corp.
    - Wait in hyperspace for 15 minutes.
    - Get disconnected from server.
    - Walk to ship screen.
    - Wait 2 minutes for expedited insurance of lost ship.
    - Walk to ship.
    - Take off and jump to Arc Corp.
    - Fly in hyperspace for 15 minutes.
    - Arrive at planet this time, start flying to Area 18.
    - Get disconnected from server.

10/10 would alpha again.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    miicah and joerandom like this.
  15. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Ground breaking game play, like we have never experienced that on any large multi-player system under load :rolleyes:, well done RSI.

16. Azer1234

Azer1234 Member

You must have a guardian angel lol, because if you actually made it to arc corp you might get stuck there indefinitely. Most of the time the ships get stored before you can make it to the hangar.

Fuk i used to defend this game, but recent events and the white night sc community as a whole is aggrivating me.

The way they showcased arc corp in 2017 compared to the release is a joke. The demo was clearly that, just a demo, and not a representation of the arc corp that was in the works at the time. They pretty mich lied. They didnt actually start working on it until recently. It looks like trash, and last time i saw it they smogged out the atmosphere coz of 'realism' but we all know its to limit view distance and mask how shit and underwhelming the planet is.

In 3.5 they took away the one good gameplay loop that had eveolved over the last couple months which is Jumptown. Traders could make heaps of money which made it a hotspot for pvp. Why the fuk would they take that out? Now we are forced to do the shit missions if we want to make money. And pvp is rare now.

Its like they are only catering to the players that want to 2nd life the game. Go sightseeing or carry boxes 8hrs a day. And if you give any criticism over this you are quickly shut down on reddit or spectrum.

Ive become a decent pilot and i used to have an honourable code, only engage other fighters etc. But now that pvp is so scarce im just gonna fuk up every ship i see lol

Its got potential, i just hope it heads in the right direction

17. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

I see it's business as usual here in the Star Citizen thread.

Drizz06 likes this.
  18. joerandom

joerandom Member

Played last night, ship is a piece of shit when landed, bounces around even on flat surface. (Reclaimer).
    Flew from Arc Corp to some moon of somewhere can't remember, landed, hoped out of seat, fell through cockpit floor and died. Gave up.

When you hold F down in pilot seat you can't click half the menus, they disappear when mouse over them then appear when mouse outside the area.
    NPC's around with hands on railings not touching the railing, simple shit i thought would be placed properly, eh come back in another 5 years.

19. bassyblue

bassyblue Member

How was your experience getting to arc corp?

20. joerandom

joerandom Member

I was very drunk that was few days earlier, i remember game crashed then second attempt it was storing my ship as i was landing it and had to do a runner.