Star Citizen

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Mikuji, Oct 10, 2012.

1. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I had a great experience.

Amazing graphics, FPS is reasonable at 3440x1440 and maximum graphics on my 1080.

Flew to Arc corp, Riker Memorial Spaceport, loved the long distance, really allows you to feel how the universe is, I especially love how real it feels compared to ED where its just faked between loading screens.

I didn't like finding and landing at the landing pad, I read there is an automated landing computer but not sure how to use that. I didn't have any "bouncing" problems, I could imagine that might happen if you don't' have your landing gear down.

Taking the train to the Plaza was awesome, the city looks very cool.

Its not a complete experience in my opinion though, its lacking atmospheric/background sound/music as well as the city not feeling "alive", but I guess that will come... eventually.

I think the game will be well worth the wait based on this, but I'm not in a rush to play a heavily cut down Elite Dangerous clone, if Chris Roberts doesn't do this, nobody else is going to step in. Its better to leave the basic space games to other companies, there's no reason to demand that Chris Roberts make something like Elite Dangerous.

I'm guessing 2021-2022 for release

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  2. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

Bart and shitting on Elite Dangerous, name a more iconic duo, ill wait.

Also how can someone you have never seen or experienced for "real" feel more real? You don't know what real feels like in this instance.

Also, crazy, CRAZY though for ya, try and give objective points about Star Citizen without using it as a opportunity to shit on a different game, I double dare you.

joerandom and Fortigurn like this.
  3. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I'm talking about graphics and the seamless movement throughout the universe. We don't need to go into space to know that there are no loading screens and that space isn't split into separate worlds.

That is unless you believe in flat earth and that space was created in a movie stage or something :lol:

Of course i'm going to compare it to Elite Dangerous, its the only game you can compare it to. It also helps that Elite Dangerous have been and are going to be hacking in a lot of features that Star Citizen already has (Although ED planned this from their kickstarter from memory)

I'm struggling to think of similarities between Star Citizen and Need for Speed myself, I prefer to compare it to the game its most competing with, not a random game for the sake of it.

I'm curious smeg, have you actually played what I mentioned I played?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  4. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

When you can describe the features of a game without shitting on another game let me know, until then....

Aratahu, joerandom and Fortigurn like this.
  5. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

The only loading screen in Elite Dangerous is when you first start the game. If your talking about when hyperspace jumping between systems, the amount of waiting pales in comparison to quantum drive in Star Citizen which is much longer where you can literally do nothing. At least in Elite you can still pilot your ship when supercrusing around in-system to navigate around things, tactics to interdict/evade/combat/engage pvp, explore bodies, refueling on stars, etc. not auto-pilot to destination for 15 minutes.

If your talking about the p2p space/instancing mechanics, 1,000s+ players on one cluster of servers for SC is a nice dream but it is going to be nigh impossible for a ship sim game with real time inputs from players in a client/server relationship, instead of a point and click to travel/shoot game like EVE Online. I would prefer 50 player limit instancing, instead of 50-100 players per an entire server (like Star Citizen is now) - yes I know they are working on server meshing to be like client/server based instancing, but I am not expecting them to provide 1000s of servers, so I think there will still be either low player count limits per "shard" or they end up going for p2p network hand-off after all for player interaction..

Also, I would like to add that Elite Dangerous and their technology used* (by a small dev that is 1/5th the size of RSI), is coming up to 5 years old now.. so comparing the tech makes less sense as the years go by.

edit: *cough* with full VR support baked in since beta *cough*

Aratahu, joerandom and Fortigurn like this.
  6. bart5986

bart5986 Member

The hyperspace animation is the loading screen though, thats a fact due to how the game was created.

The distance between different areas is completely up to the developers and has nothing to do with limitations.

Elite Dangerous:
    Jump to Supercruise/Leave area > Loading Screen into new map
    Stop in Supercruise > Loading Screen into new map
    Attacked in Supercruise > Loading Screen into new map
    Run away from Enemy > Loading screen into new map
    Investigate signal source in Supercruise > Loading Screen into new map
    Stop at destination > Loading Screen into new map

Navigate ingame menu's? Loading screens and much longer then they should be.

Why do I dislike this? Because of these reasons

1. If two people stop in supercruise at the same time, they will be located in different maps, you can't fly towards each other as its a map, not space.
    2. If someone attacks you in space, you can simply frame shift drive to the exact spot you are in, and you disappear until the enemy does the same. You can then simply stop supercrusing and you disappear again into a new map, making the enemy follow you into that new map by locating your signal.

This is like how in older games you would be running from an enemy in a campaign, you hit the loading screen and once it loads the enemies are gone, complete disconnected feeling.

Star Citizen:
    Everything is in the same universe, no loading screens, you don't cheese enemies, especially AI with entering "maps", among many other impressive ways to do things, which obviously explains the reasons for the development time.

I have hundreds of hours in Elite Dangerous, my dislike for the game is based on the fact that the tech/game is outdated and well overdue for a modern space implementation to take over.

The playerbase is dead and they have no interest in properly implementing planets or anything else, they seem more interested in ticking boxes and working within the huge restrictions of their engine.

Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous have similar limitations on max players per instance, Elite Dangerous is likely a better and supposbly up to 100 players but I've yet to see this with 100 players as the player base for ED is quite low.

I agree with your comments about player numbers and server meshing etc. The benefit of Star Citizen is the lack of P2P networking, they will never go 100% into this as that is a joke, but they might take extra elements to p2p to save performance.

One thing is for sure, having a server with P2P simulation of some elements to save performance like counter-strike source is 100x better then the Elite Dangerous method where its just two peers trusting each other with no authoritative source.

Right now ED actually has a huge benefit based on the fact that these maps are separate instances and they don't have a 50-100 player limit per server, which Star Citizen does.

However this severely outdated hack/method to make a space game is not difficult, Star Citizen did this so they can do a MMO space game properly.

Until Star Citizen has completed their server meshing nobody can say if they will achieve it properly or not.

Not sure about your VR comment exactly, if they disabled cinematic animations it would be very easy to implement. The problem is that performance, especially server performance means that 90fps is going to be difficult to make work.

If they became desperate to implement VR they could probably make their own motion smoothing/ASW alternative built into the game or just rely on Steam to do it.

As a huge VR fan nothing makes me more frustrated then imagining being stuck in VR for 4 hours in ED or Star Citizen, way too uncomfortable and you can't do anything else while you play.

7. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

These "invisible" loading screens you are talking about are near instant for me (<1 second) unless you have slow net?

FYI, Server instancing/meshing will probably still have a similar effect as players are sent to different servers for the same patch of space - especially if there are a lot of players nearby.

8. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Its not the time of the loading screen, its the other reasons like the disconnect between "maps" that I dislike the most. Supercruise overall just feels a little outdated to me.

The server meshing they are meant to be making would mean that nobody would be "sent" to another server, there is simply a master server that manages locations and multiple servers managing players who report to the master server.

They are likely using a method similar to Duel Universe MMO. Again, we have to wait and see what they actually produce.

In short the dual universe method means that 200 players in one small area all interacting with each other could be powered by 20 servers (Or Server VMs which are perfect for scaling services like AWS). This is the best case scenario but we don't know the specifics of what SC will have as Chris Roberts has said very little about it in a long time.

Think of it this way

Lets say ED has 20,000 players and Star Citizen has 20,000 players in the universe.

In ED, anywhere you go you can only run into people who have specifically jumped into your map

In Star Citizen (theoretically) you can run into anyone, at anytime, doing things completely randomly in the universe. Its completely calm and silent, until its not.

I hope you understand what I mean, my many hours of ED back when it was popular showed me that it wasn't really what I wanted. You jump into these maps at specific entrances and then you go to the exit, where you load into the place you wanted to go to. If you wanted to PVP, you just sat at the entrance point of the map, once you were in a battle there was no actual battle going on in supercruise, simply another separate map disconnected from the universe.

9. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Forbes Magazine (first online, and soon to be printed in the next edition!) has posted a lengthy investigative article on the saga of "Star Citizen", and it's not good.

Exclusive: The Saga Of 'Star Citizen,' A Video Game That Raised $300 Million - But May Never Be Ready To Play
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattpe...00-millionbut-may-never-be-ready-to-play/amp/
    Oh Snap!

Fortigurn likes this.
  10. BAK

BAK Member

No, it's great.

...as Bart will tell you when he's along soon to debunk these ill informed media people.

joerandom and Fortigurn like this.
  11. Renegade40D

Renegade40D Member

He sure will, but all Bart does is gobble up that Chris Roberts hype.... game of the century i tell ya, when its finally out in 2090.

joerandom, BAK and Fortigurn like this.
  12. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

The part where (through a police report investigation) "Sandi Gardiner (now Chris' current wife and part owner CIG, etc) used to stalk Chris and his previous defacto wife back in 2007, and actually broke in to his LA home and Chris filed a restraining order against her" part was weird AF... and probably provides credence to those anonymous ex-dev claims that she is crazy and working under her was a toxic working environment back in 2015.

Wonder if we will still see her in videos after this article.

13. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I've never made any claims saying Star Citizen would be completed by Chris Roberts, in fact I've mentioned in the past they might be the freelancer situation all over again.

I'm not sure what you guys are expecting to happen here, you have two choices

1. Chris Roberts finishes the game and it has what he promised (and more)
    2. Another company takes over and we don't even have what was originally promised and everyone is left waiting for someone else to make the space game people want.

I'm curious as to what you guys would prefer, as most posts seem to imply that they would be happy with what is essentially Elite Dangerous, which we already have...

The second I'm positive about Star Citizen I'm all of a sudden gobbling up his hype, yet I don't see the reason to constantly shit on something for no reason, even though I have been very critical of it in the past, its better to look at the positives.

14. Nian

Nian Member

3. The game as any good MMO should be, never gets finished, but has incremental upgrades and content additions. Like a live services model to keep the fan base happy. This while Chris Roberts gives us gradual and much wanted feature creep after full initial release.

15. BAK

BAK Member

The same thing that always happens here.

16. bart5986

bart5986 Member

That is what he's planning to do but this isn't an alternative option.

#1 is the Chris Roberts way.
    #2 is someone elses way.

17. XanaTos

XanaTos Member

FAKE NEWS!

Sounds like someone else.

18. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

It's incredible that you think these are the only possible options. In your mind these other options aren't even likely.

1. Roberts never finishes the game, and no one wants to buy the mess.
    2. Roberts finishes the game, and it doesn't have what he promised.
    3. Roberts finishes the game, and it has what he promised, but it's trash.

There are plenty of other options, especially given Roberts' established track record.

DangerMaus and joerandom like this.
  19. bart5986

bart5986 Member

You would only be saying this if you had played the latest build.

The MMO part is in a playable state and not far off a releasable state if shortcuts were used (which Chris Roberts wouldn't do)

No idea about SQ42 but given all the assets and work so far it would be very attractive to finish.

Making claims that the game will just sit unreleased is quite stupid and clear you just just like to sit in this thread and troll.

Points 2-3 are just opinions on what he has released... The point is that Chris Roberts is releasing it with point 2-3.

I'm not talking about "what he promised" as in 100 star systems etc etc, I'm talking about a functional MMO universe as he claims, which the game is mostly right now, without the content and max players limit.

Star Citizen is a gold mine is done correctly, I'm not making any claims as to if the game will be good on release however, the fun aspect is still questionable in the current released game that I've played.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  20. joerandom

joerandom Member

Star citizen hasn't got VR i'm surprised Bart even plays it with his elite Pimax.

Back on topic, i have enjoyed the latest 3.5 build to some extent although the crashing kinda sucks, it's cool but still feels dead, the world needs to come more alive and i only play for a couple hours and leave it sit for days, it's not Hooking me!
    Heck i think i only log in with sheer mind force to play my $300USD reclaimer i regret buying.

Fortigurn likes this.