Star Citizen

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Mikuji, Oct 10, 2012.

1. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Chris Roberts made a kickstarter for the biggest scope game in existence, and thats what everyone wanted at that time.

In hindsight I think a lot of people now realise that because he didn't have a gaming company ready, and the kickstarter video is nothing more then a scripted sequence that meant that none of his timelines were realistic at the kind of high quality many people would have expected.

Even with a time machine, going back and changing the kickstarter to the real release date, or reducing the scope to what he can achieve in the claimed timeframe would not have resulted in anything of value being created. Changing Chris Roberts to someone else would have similar results, not because nobody else can do it, but simply because nobody else is willing to try.

"gullible fools" is what made Star Citizen possible, and I mean that in the nicest way as I'm hoping the end result, either SQ42 or the MMO is enjoyable to play at the insane standards Chris Roberts has.

I am 100% sure that if Chris Roberts was forced to jump into a time machine and tell the 100% truth in his kickstarter from what he knows today, Star Citizen and SQ42 would not happen.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  2. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

But its not done yet, its not yet possible as far as we can tell because it has not been achieved.

3. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

No but changing the scope, adding more games, and adding more complexity before he had achieved the first alpha release scheduled only made it worse, especially when most of the CR fans are old IT guys and know how projects work. Instead he got carried away on his own hype and pseudo ponzi scheme for raising money by getting people to buy artwork.

Also I don't care about anything Star Citizen because rabid fanbois continue to give money for a game that will never be delivered, because money, and the tech they have achieved isn't worth that much to any company that wants to pick up the assets after the bankrupcy, and lawsuits from people who bank rolled big money. But I could be wrong and Steve Jobs will rise from the dead and use his super human programming skills to save the day... oh wait Jobs wasn't that good a coder. ;)

I have no doubt Star Citzen will be released someday (not soon) but it will be a pale compromise on the original promise using the name and good will for a cash grab by some studio.

4. bart5986

bart5986 Member

What does adding more games mean?

In my opinion if people want to buy artwork then they should do it, it only benefits the game and the $30 I paid. In my opinion the rapid fanbois are good. You could probably call it gambling especially as the actual ingame value of the ship is unknown until its released and the ships are balanced.

Having played Star Citzen I'm only seeing one technical hurdle required, which is the player count, which also happens to likely be their biggest hurdle and the feature most important to me that will make or break it.

5. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Squadron 42 was never part of Star Citizen.

So after 7 years of telling the world it can be done with tech from 7 years ago, it would seem the EVE Online guys and every other MMO was right and CR is wrong... OMG shock horror decades of tuning netcode is more efficient then someone not technically proficient enough to understand the complexity of the problem, can't solve! I NEVER.

Ship physics and making a new space MMO was what got it started, everyone remembered the fun playing Elite on a C64, just wanted a NEW Space trader/fighter MMO.

6. Hookimus

Hookimus Member

Wait... so if we changed the person, they would not even try which means we would not get nothing... which is similar results to what we're currently getting?

Is this bart trying to convince us that this game will never get released?

edit: fixing my bad quoting skillz!

7. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Not sure what you mean, if it was a different person they would make something with a scope that it achievable in a reasonable time, like Elite Dangerous.

I think you might need to have another look at the kickstarter because Squadren 42 was part of the kickstarter from day 1.

Not sure exactly what you mean about Eve Online etc do not have realtime movements/commands, its just sending queued commands of what you want to do.

Elite Dangerous is the best we have right now but its peer to peer networking without a server which is a little embarrassing.

8. Aratahu

Aratahu Member

On Elite:
    What a load of crap. The EDAU community is great, and lots of action / activities to be found. I've been dabbling in it for years, but finally gotten more into it in the past few months and it's such a solid experience. Mining is fantastic, so is doing things like rescue missions from the Thargoid invasion. Got a cheap Lenovo Explorer - best $150 I ever spent, with my Warthog HOTAS the experience is amazing. Although most times I just use my 34" + TrackIR as putting contact lenses on is a PITA. Soundscape is out of this world (with good headphones / SB ZXR). Just got my Rear Admiral rank, and will grab a Corvette soon.

I'm saying that as a card carrying Platinum level backer of SC. Met Chris Roberts a few years ago when he was in Melbourne even. There's room for both games (and Eve Online as well!); there's no need to talk down other titles.

9. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I mean you aren't really disagreeing with me are you?

I play Elite myself..

There was once a big player base, I would be worried flying around as players would attack me, I would fly around with friends attacking other groups, I was very good at escaping it was a lot of fun.

I took a break from the game and came back to a a universe that mostly had no players inside, the ones I did see had no interest in fighting or attacking me, even though I was using a ship that was weaker then theirs.

At the end of the day its all a big grind with no player interaction payoff, which was the whole point for me.

I understand its a different type of game now given the small player base, and thats fine.

But its nothing like what it once was, and its nothing what Star Citizen is claimed to become.

Aratahu likes this.
  10. Aratahu

Aratahu Member

Ok, I didn't play multi back then so I don't have that experience to fall back on, so can see your point of view now. I'll rescind my "load of crap" comment, sorry. :)
    The gameplay I'm seeing now has been PvE and background sim based. It's awesome, but I can see that if you were used to lots of PvP then that it might not be what you want.

I've still managed to rack up hundreds of hours of exploration; Elite trader, nearly Elite explorer, combat next up. With a few minor exceptions it's been quite bug free as well, which is important for me as with limited time to play I just don't want to deal with constantly upgrading all the time.

bart5986 likes this.
  11. bart5986

bart5986 Member

It you look at it as a PvE game the game has a lot less issues. The Peer to peer networking becomes a positive thing instead of a negative for example.

The thing is I purchased Elite Dangerous for the danger part, and for me its no longer there and I have nothing to aspire to.

The main reason I play Elite Dangerous is because of the music, combat and atmosphere, something that is amplified while in Virtual Reality. I see it more as a relaxing space adventure with some AI pests that are only a challenge if I choose to fight them.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  12. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

Why don't you know? You play the game. Is it too huge? Lost count already?

Yeah it would be pretty strange if you said he wasn't going to use shortcuts.

It would be pretty strange if you said he wasn't going to cut corners.

It would be pretty strange if you said engine features weren't missing.

It would be pretty strange if you said they would complete what they have planned.

It would be pretty strange if you said there is no evidence they can't achieve the feature scope.

How about you go back and find the first time you actually finally acknowledged that they were going to cut corners, scope was being reduced, and features were being dropped? That should be fun. :D

FuzwaldQO and XanaTos like this.
  13. Nian

Nian Member

(1) The size of the alpha is not indicative of the final game. They are only releasing content to test game features and function. They will soon enough add another solar system. For testing purposes.
    They have given plenty of information on how easy it is for them to create new planets and systems. So keep your pants on.

(2)+(3) What short-cuts? They have gone to great lengths to do everything they promised with regards to the games features and function.

(4) Engine features are been constantly added and enhanced. They have effectively created their own graphics engine with Cryengine as a base. It is now the most powerful game engine you can get,
    it is also the only game engine that's completely 64bit double precision.

(5) They have and are achieving what they set out to do.

What do you want? The game or no game? Is it progressing nicely? Hell yes. Does it run well? Mostly, yes, bugs yes. Is it fun? Yes. Do people have performance issues? 100% yes, people do, and they are stupid when they do. Why? Because the game runs like shit on anything but an SSD. Install it on an SSD!

14. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

You spelled Tech Demo incorrectly.

15. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

CIG recently deleted thousands of $0 CCUs (ship trade-in tokens) that many people were apparently holding on to, in order to game the system to buy more expensive ships as prices rise later for the lower original price. Turns out they also deleted thousands of CCUs with melt value (worth $) in the database purge script, effectively removing millions from backer accounts.. I guess CS will be smashed for a while.

The $0 CCU Removal Just Deleted a Ton of Actual Purchases
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/...-ccu-removal-just-deleted-a-ton-of-actual-pur

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    Fortigurn likes this.
  16. Zee

Zee Member

I think you'll find the issue is twofold...

People that don't want to play Open (there really should never have been a choice - the name of the game is a direct reference to a combat rank, after all - combat was always a primary part of the game), and insane power creep since the Engineers arrived.

The original "special" weapons, from late Beta/early release (overcharged, cool running etc), were great. They had their pros and cons, and did not offer any huge advantage in combat, they were more a way to tweak the ship to better suit your style. On top of that, power limits (whilst kinda silly in the real world - why would you power starve a combat vessel?), meant that pilots of combat ships usually had to choose between speed/shields and firepower - pick two. This meant some thought had to be put into your build, based on how you fought.

Then engineers comes along...

PHWOAR!!!! Billion power for everyone! Gazillion shields, and Megafirepower - with magic affects (if you have the time to grind), and all of a sudden, a player with a fully A grade fitted combat build can be taken out, often, in seconds that barely reach double digits. Now there is a world divided, with combat between two well matched players in engineered ships taking 30 minutes or more (snoooze), and engineered ship vs non engineered ship being an absolute slaughter in second - often players just stare at the rebuy screen with NFI as to what just went down.

Don't get me wrong, I really like ED, but the devs really need a smack in the head sometimes, they seem to throw idea on the table, and then they go with it, without considering potential long term consequences - and their balance passes are famous for being far too heavy handed, wildly swinging from one side to another, without actually trying to do any fine tuning.

Having said that, at least ED is a fully playable game, and as flawed as it is, seems to be in a much better position than SC.

Z...

bart5986 likes this.
  17. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

This isn't in dispute.

How do you know?

Perhaps you could, you know, actually read the reviews, watch the videos, and read the posts here? Even bart has acknowledged they've already cut content.

So what?

After seven years, they've cut content and they still have nothing but a buggy alpha which doesn't even have a single completed star system.

You think it's "progressing nicely"? You're delusional.

18. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

From a tech standpoint it's actually fairly impressive and useful.

19. zbone

zbone Member

Care to elaborate?
    When at uni, I worked on converting a C++ 3d application from 16bit to 32bit. It was a very mundane task.

20. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

Yup, 64-bit double precision can essentially be precise up to 17 decimal places.
    This is INSANE accuracy, and basically games generally haven't needed it because the effort required for the calculations are not worth the results, would you notice if your crosshair in CS:GO was off by a fraction of a mm?
    I imagine it is important for Star Citizen because it will allow a far larger map? (Far greater maximum coordinates per axis). Could be wrong.