Star Citizen

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Mikuji, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Eh, with all the engine stuff in hindsight after the kickstarter, the only possible reasons for this are:
    • They chose the wrong infrastructure in the first place
    • They underestimated what their infrastructure was capable of
    • They kept adding un-planned features and services beyond the scope of their what the infrastructure could handle
    • All of the above.
    Wasting years and $ millions in the process. Project mismanagement 101...

Edit: meanwhile they are reducing the launch systems from 100 to 5? I'm thinking they had no idea when people were coughing up $100M +

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    zbone and bart5986 like this.
  2. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Chris Roberts definitely didn't think.

My understanding of the kickstarter is this (and why I didn't back during the kickstarter)

Chris Roberts: I made freelancer and now I want to make the game of your dreams.

Here is a scripted sequence using CryEngine, I haven't got a team that can start game development yet and I haven't paid anyone to check whats technically feasable within a few years, thats what your money is for!

You can invest in these fancy ships and since the game will be ready in a few years, you won't have to wait long!

He reminds me of Peter Molyneux but Chris Roberts definitely dreams and promises more.

3. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

The pitch video from 2012 featured a lot of ship and alien design is also featured including the vandal, idris and gladius similar to what we see today.
    He said he has been working on it before the kickstarter. If he did all that himself, I'm impressed.

4. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I wasn't talking about generic assets.

I'm saying that its simply cryengine with a scripted sequence which is no proof that the game is possible, just that you have an artist and someone who knows how to use CryEngine to a certain degree.

From what I can tell they started from scratch after that and just took a lot of those assets, some as placeholders, others being overhauled anyway.

Hard to tell until SQ42 is out, or we at least have an actual gameplay video.

5. zbone

zbone Member

I guess I don't see what's impressive here from a tech standpoint. It's about using more RAM and processing power to run same things. If you go for huge distances, there is no way around it, but it's pure scaling, not a technological advancement.

6. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Did you even read what you just posted?

The technological advancement is related to large distances.

It opens up a lot of possibilities, even more if/when they figure out how to handle it in a multiplayer setting.

The majority of games you see are build around different limitations, once you removed a limitation there are more possibilities.

A easy example is Half Life 2, every map is designed around the fact that map sizes are limited, its very easy to tell that the maps would have been designed differently if they didn't have those limitations, part of this is to make map transitions feel more like a loading screen, when you are actually changing the map completely. They then use a script to copy over elements from the previous map, which was never very accurate in the early half life 2 days.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  7. zbone

zbone Member

Yeah, nah.

8. sparz14

sparz14 Member

If the game had actually come out back then, with those graphics... It just wouldn't hold up. I'm glad they've increased scope and quality, even if it takes a few more years for a release version

9. Nian

Nian Member

It effectively means you could snipe a enemy on a space station from the surface of a planet. I think that's significant.

10. zbone

zbone Member

Not from tech point of view. It's just double the resources thrown at the same problem solved using the same methods.

11. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I think its very clear you don't understand what tech is.

Your posts can be summed up as "its like this because of the way it is"

12. Nian

Nian Member

There is a reason why Crytek had a bout of desperation, with a lawsuit against CIG. They really really wanted that source code that CIG developed.

13. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

14. miicah

miicah Member

I mean it's not though.

Do you think it would have taken M$ years to make their OS 64 bit if it was as simple as 'doubling the resources'

15. XanaTos

XanaTos Member

Really depends on if the people at the top are competent enough to run big projects and to be able to manage it right. Chris has demonstrated that hes a dumb arse when it comes to management of large projects.

16. zbone

zbone Member

Jesus christ, I don't even know where to begin.
    First of all, you draw a parallel between a commercial OS and a 3d application. Secondly, it's not about how easy/hard/expensive it is. It's not a technological advancement per se. On high level, you just change variables type, re-write interfaces and toolset, which probably why took them that long.
    It's not easy, but this is not developing a flight model or some other cool tech.

17. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

So another 3-4 years development at $40 million a year or so should do it? Heading towards a 1/2 $billion game.

Sankari likes this.
  18. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

I remember talking to a mate about this at my wedding in 2012 and I was saying it's too good to be true.

It's good being right. Never am with wife though. :tired:

Sankari and macktheknife like this.
  19. miicah

miicah Member

Then why aren't we still using 8bit computers?

20. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

So one enthusiastic SC supporter is saying the game might come out with a handful of completed star systems (currently there isn't a single star system yet complete), and it could take "years and years" for other star systems to be added later. Just like CGI promised!