Star Citizen

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Mikuji, Oct 10, 2012.

1. bart5986

bart5986 Member

This is zbone's idea of technological advancement :lol:

Having

Not that I support it, but having only a handful of star systems is enough for a full release of the MMO assuming everything else is done.

They would need regular updates to add content though, I'm guessing this is exactly what Chris Roberts is planning to do as a release means a lot of financial income.

2. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

Releasing the game short on content, and then gradually adding content over time, is exactly what people here have been saying repeatedly they could or should do. Just like other publishers do. Meanwhile fanbois here have been saying that's just not possible, and not what Roberts would do, and not what the backers want, and not what CGI will do because they're not like other publishers. It will be interesting to see the sudden backflips; "When you think about it, a game with only 4-5 star systems is even better than a game with 100 star systems!".

My only hope for this game at present is the fact that having taken on investment CGI will finally be held accountable and will have to publish something before too long.

DangerMaus, Sankari and Sphinx2000 like this.
  3. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Having extra star systems doesn't really offer anything useful early on, if you wanted to explore endless space alone for 100 hours, you can do that in Elite dangerous.

Most of the gameplay is created from missions and a high player count to make playing the game dangerous. We've had no information on the progress of player counts in the universe and how they will specifically be taking it from 50 players to 5000 or more.

4. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Boredgamer is heavily invested in the game and practically 100% of his content is, and considered a large influencer for Star Citizen. Enthusiastic is an understatement. Subjective and unbiased? Certainly not anymore. These poor folk are so far invested (with no way out now) they have to continually support/endorse/encourage/deflect criticism, etc to help try and make the game succeed, or it's all for zero. Hence the over-optimism and rabid defence.

He wrote off the Forbes article as "nothing anyone invested didn't already know already and trashy journalism for attacking the man and not the project" for example.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    Sankari and Fortigurn like this.
  5. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

And here they are, right on cue.

Behold, I'm a prophet!

Yep, this is one of the reasons why I follow him. I watch his videos (I saw his response to the Forbes article; basically he said it was a hit piece and he didn't want to talk about it), and compare them to FailureToReport, who has long term experience with the game (and has communicated with CGI staff members for a couple of years). I usually find that FTR provides facts (though often in a snarky way), whereas Bordgamer always tries to play down the problems and dismiss the criticisms. It's fascinating seeing Bordgamer ply his spin.

What's most useful is that when I see Bordgamer trying to spin an issue, I know it's a real issue. Consequently, when fanbois here try to tell me it's not an issue, I know they can be safely ignored.

DangerMaus, Sankari and Sphinx2000 like this.
  6. Sankari

Sankari Member

CGI: 'This game is taking so long because we want to release it when it's fully complete, instead of adding stuff later like other studios do.'
    SC fanbois: 'That makes perfect sense. It's the best way.'

Also CGI: 'This game will be released while it's still incomplete, even though we're years behind schedule. We'll add the other stuff later.'
    SC fanbois: 'That makes perfect sense. It's the best way.'

:rolleyes:

Drizz06 and Fortigurn like this.
  7. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

I'm kinda over SC TBH.

8. bassyblue

bassyblue Member

What you fail to mention is the top describes features which can affect content while the bottom is about content.

9. Sankari

Sankari Member

Are you kidding? They're both about content!

10. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Howsabout you discuss the topic instead of each other?

bart5986 likes this.
  11. bassyblue

bassyblue Member

Yes please.

890 Jump will be in game soon. Loving it.

12. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

Reading this I assumed this meant like a jump gate type a new system.
    For those playing at home, its a big arse space ship.

13. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

For the low low estimated pledge price of $990 USD or ~$1,581.32 AUD (inc GST)
    And that's not even a limited-edition hull.

14. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

This type of monetization is not okay regardless of how complete your game is lol...wowah

Fortigurn likes this.
  15. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

"But you will be able to earn the ship in game... so it's ok".

To avoid any kind of outcry or backer backlash, the in-game prices for ships like this are going to be very VERY high.
    Currently a $100 USD ship already costs ~1.5 million credits to buy in game, or about 90-100 hours of gameplay grinding quests/missions at alpha rates... so 10 x times this for the 890?

16. bart5986

bart5986 Member

This isn't a problem though unless you fit into one scenario.

If your idea of playing MMO's is to play 16 hours a day from day 1 of release, then these paid ships will make the game very unfair.

If you buy the game a week after release or you only play a few hours each day, then you won't notice any difference at all.

Why?

Because if you don't fit this criteria you will quickly be surpassed by other players who will own many of these high end ships.

Most games, including Elite Dangerous solve this by making the game balanced, one of the ways Elite solves this is by making smaller ships faster so that you can outrun ships that try to attack you.

Its one of the reasons why I love the Cobra MKIII in Elite Dangerous, very fast but a newbie ship.

Of course you would be completely right if they allow players to buy ships after release, but they are claiming they won't, time will tell.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  17. bassyblue

bassyblue Member

I paid less than $500 for it so I guess that’s a win/not a win depending on your viewpoint?

18. bassyblue

bassyblue Member

I guess you’ve never seen mobile games.

19. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

Oh I have, lets be clear, I am generally against micro-transactions. I can let them be if they are purely cosmetic, less so if you have paid AAA title dollars for a game just to have to pay real money for everything else in game (looking at you BLOPS 4).

20. bassyblue

bassyblue Member

The main difference here is that I knowingly put the money down to support the development. I know quite a few backers and most detractors don’t get that.