Star Citizen

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Mikuji, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Zee

Zee Member

Engineering ruined the balance in Elite, though. Which is a shame, it was always fun building combat ships with a a power plant able to supply enough juice to A-rate everything. Sacrifices had to be made, meaning you had to build the ship to suit your style - Firepower, shields, speed. Pick two...

Z...

2. Sledge

Sledge Member

Love how they still haven't released any info on SQ42...
    was meant to be out years ago....

3. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Only 12months till we get the beta, whats the problem :weirdo:.

4. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Good to see SC have finally decided to start working on sub-targeting ship modules in 8 years..

5. Sledge

Sledge Member

And how many times has something like that been said already

6. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Their releases dates for anything have been wildly inaccurate, but their Star Citizen roadmap has followed a pattern where many things are completed, but there are always delays on certain features that get pushed into the next quarter.

Assuming the SQ42 roadmap is similar we'll probably see the beta Q1 2021.

You might actually find they stick to the SQ42 date though as I think they feel the pressure, especially financially to release it and its a lot easier to brute force/throw money at then Star Citizen is.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  7. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

The SQ42 beta is scheduled for Q2 2020.

8. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Congrats you read the roadmap.

What is your point?

9. Sledge

Sledge Member

exactly..
    so with the delays.... who knows..

10. bassyblue

bassyblue Member

They literally showed an entire hour of play from it...

11. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

If your talking about the "vertical slice" they released back in 2017, it was obviously a lot more on rails/scripted then they let on.. just like CR used to joke about it as a dev trick in the early days.

Sledge likes this.
  12. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I've never really paid that much attention to SQ42, but was it meant to be anything but a heavily scripted single player campaign?

It would feel strange to me to make it anything else considering what Star Citizen is meant to be.

Personally I think if it wasn't a scripted movielike experience I would have suggested they scrap it and integrate it into star citizen as a main campaign quest.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  13. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Scripted demos are not far from cutscenes and are made to show what the game should be like without any risk of showing broken gameplay and bugs. Some dev's are nice enough to have a "not actual gameplay" or "simulated gameplay" caveat, others will tout "in engine footage" but not mention that it's essentially a cutscene.

14. bassyblue

bassyblue Member

How do you figure? Are you saying that the single player game might have triggered events? Oh my!?!?!

And no, it was actual play. Anyone who has spent a minute in game knows this.

15. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I think you are mistaken.

The Squadron 42 Cinematic Teaser matches what you are claiming.

The video below does not.

Its obviously cherry picked and been worked on enough to make look good to the public, but its in no way "not actual gameplay" or "simulated gameplay" or "in engine footage".

I'm guessing you just haven't seen this video.

I've you've played Star Citizen you'll know this is basically Star Citizen gameplay + Celebrities characters/voices + cool scripted action scenes. Exactly what I would expect from a cool space campaign/story.

Also the debris field is amazing, I can see why some people can be so excited for SQ42.

16. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

All I'm saying is that back in 2017 they showcased a product that looked for all intents and purposes as something that was at least ready to start beta testing soon, almost ready to ship even.
    Fast forward 18 months of more development hell and they now say that the product is being redesigned again(!) - give us another 12 months to then look at the start of beta testing phase in mid 2020... (2.5+ years since the showcase).

Any person who has half a brain can now deduce that what was presented in 2017 was a tech demo/showcase on rails specifically tailored for only what was presented (in order to drive more investment and hype) and not a proper functioning SINGLE PLAYER GAME (that had an initial release date of 2014).

DangerMaus likes this.
  17. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

I'm amazed you're so naive after countless faked demos and presentations, particularly at E3.

Sledge likes this.
  18. bart5986

bart5986 Member

The proof is in the video and the current Star Citizen build.

Was that chapter specifically worked on to show in a video? Obviously Yes.

Would the chapter be full of bugs and unfinished things that they didn't show or walk to? Obviously Yes.

The SQ42 roadmap confirms this and shows many chapters that could potentially be at the level they showed in the video.

I'm not sure what the big deal is, its not like the video was so amazing and polished that it seems unbelievable to be real and makes it seem like it really was "simulated gameplay" "not actual gameplay" or "in engine footage" like you claim.

Worst simulated/inengine footage video ever if thats the case...

19. bassyblue

bassyblue Member

Eh? The AI was still rudimentary at that point. The planet tech, among other things has been updated heavily since then. Optimisations have also come a long way. I have a potato of a box these days and the performance has been getting steadily better for the last few patches.
    The vertical slice is a showcase of a section of the game that uses most of the types of gameplay that you can expect to see in-game. That's all it is. It meant they had enough assets in viewable state and features complete enough to do so. The Reclaimer features in the VS and it wasn't "finished" for months after that video.

20. Murmandamus

Murmandamus Member

You mean apart from the roadmap, monthly dev reports and occasional video updates. Nothing apart from those?

Their constant pushing back of items on the SC roadmap makes it hard to take the beta 2020 goal seriously. But the roadmap at least gives the impression they're done feature creeping and are finally putting the game together. Not sure how well they've been meeting the SQ42 roadmap targets though.

I don't have a problem with where SC is, but I think SQ42 should have been in the can by now. Problem is, a terrible SQ42 could potentially torpedo SC and their revenue stream. Hopefully almost running out of money has been the wake up call they needed to pull their finger out.