Star Citizen

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Mikuji, Oct 10, 2012.

1. XanaTos

XanaTos Member

The horse is BACK!

But it does sum it up quite simple to what the problems are and how it could have fixed them.

The future doesn't seem to bright by the look of it.

RnR likes this.
  2. Murmandamus

Murmandamus Member

Could have gone either way with a publisher. As their own examples show, we could have ended up with a rushed out unfinished piece of crap and what's the value in that? With any luck having to get a 46M bailout is the wakeup call they needed.

Some former devs went with a publisher for their Descent game. It didn't work out so well.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitize...ever_trust_publishers_descent_studio_wingman/

3. bart5986

bart5986 Member

There is no publisher in the world that would have touched Star Citizen with the scope they had early on.

I also doubt today that there is any publisher that understands Star Citizen and its current and potential player base enough that they wouldn't ruin the game.

We also don't really need to go looking around to see how bad publishers are for gaming, its everywhere you look.

At least this way there is nobody to blame but Chris Roberts if its bad.

4. bassyblue

bassyblue Member

Why exactly does the future not seem bright?

Because youtubers regurgitated the same old stuff again?

bart5986 likes this.
  5. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

The difference this time is they are suggesting a publisher needs to take over to apply better fiscal management and pressure to finish the game instead of expanding it, before all the money runs out.
    Although it's a bit late now, the horse has already bolted with feature creep. I don't think anyone would take on that kind of risk now.

Of course all the kool-aid types are screaming "you can't rush a masterpiece", "Chris knows what he's doing", etc, etc... burning through $40M a year in costs.

6. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I would argue that this is the best time a publisher could take it on. I can only imagine the early days with Chris Roberts fighting with a publisher combined with the fact that it was a successful kickstarter based on huge promises that he made, but the publisher might disagree with.

All of Chris Robert's crazy dreams are somewhat implemented or in the process, so its unlikely there are many surprises in terms of what Chris wants, and what the engine and developers can actually do.

I would also say that there is a lot of potential money to unlock for their income strategy after release, monthly fees, micro transactions, paid ships, all possible with a publisher as Chris Roberts said they wouldn't have paid ships or monthly fees but its easy to shift the blame with a publisher.

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  7. XanaTos

XanaTos Member

8-9 years on and we still "processing" it. Nothing wrong here, I'm sure the game be done soon.

Fortigurn and Sankari like this.
  8. bassyblue

bassyblue Member

So basically the same stuff we’ve been hearing for years already. 90 days, tops.

Sankari likes this.
  9. Sankari

Sankari Member

In other words, the three things gamers hate most. Wow, what a great game.

:rolleyes:

10. bassyblue

bassyblue Member

Monthly fees have never been discussed as a revenue option after release.

11. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Exactly.

Not sure if I wasn't clear (its a quote out of context), I was specifically mentioning that a publisher would likely suggest this.

12. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

13. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

I can't believe I'm going to side with Bart but he said fairly clearly that subscriptions would be a possible outcome IF a publisher were to take over.

14. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

I know, just that all the hardcore backers have said it will never happen for years and still do.
    The Forums and Reddit are full of similar responses.

15. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

So who said it's going to happen!?

16. bassyblue

bassyblue Member

Maybe the hardcore fanbabies say that but as far as I'm concerned, any business model that maintains viability is fair game. Then again, I've had a development subscription since it was offered.

17. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Just as I foretold, they are selling optional premium upgrades for ships in store now like a car, for real money..

The new Origin 300 costs $55 USD (~$87 inc GST), but fully optioned with premium paint/weapons/bedding/colours/seats/steering yokes/coffee machine/sound system etc it jumps to $97 USD... (~$154 AUD inc GST)

Yes that right premium paint, carbon fibre, coffee machine & premium sound systems, etc range from $1-$24 USD options.

The select page looks a lot like Tesla's..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    Azer1234 likes this.
  18. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

Wait wait wait.......You weren't taking the piss with the coffee machine bit?!

Zee likes this.
  19. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Nope.

[​IMG]

The 350r ranges from $125 USD base price - fully premium optioned jumps to $152 USD ($240 AUD inc GST)
    More ways to get money out of backers..

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    XanaTos likes this.
  20. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Looks like we found the monetisation method for Star Citizen.

If the game is good then they will have a decent income for the game.

I'm guessing there is more to come.

Which is good in my opinion.

What I don't like is knowing its probably not practical to earn these in game.