Star Citizen

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Mikuji, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Azer1234

Azer1234 Member

Ridiculous lol. My sabre doesnt care how good your coffe machine is, youll blow up just the same as everyone else.

2. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Some paint jobs are apparently limited time only.. of course.

3. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Bumper stickers and fluffy dice.

4. Zabba

Zabba Member

My Space Family stickers too

bart5986, XanaTos and DangerMaus like this.
  5. XanaTos

XanaTos Member

Alot of time and effort has gone into the MTX side of it. They need to put this effort into the single player side of it and get it the fuck out already.

6. miicah

miicah Member

lol did you watch the video of them bragging about how much effort went into the new store system to be able to sell the upgrades?

Fortigurn likes this.
  7. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

Some of us have been saying for a very long time that they were going to be using monetisation practices like this.

You think it's good that they've introduced more ways to get money out of backers.

Which is what some of us have been saying for a while.

XanaTos likes this.
  8. bassyblue

bassyblue Member

They've been talking about doing this for close to a year now and suddenly everyone is surprised...

Fortigurn likes this.
  9. Zee

Zee Member

This is seriously more of a social experiment than it will ever be a game.

Z..

whatdoesthisdo likes this.
  10. XanaTos

XanaTos Member

I'm surprised more people are not fucking outrage at the price for this they are selling this stuff for, it's a high price pay to win game and it's that not even out. $9.00 for a fucking coffee machine! you can't see the madness in that?

11. Sledge

Sledge Member

My current one was $3500 brand new.. what's your problem with a $9 one?? ;)

miicah and bassyblue like this.
  12. bart5986

bart5986 Member

As bassyblue mentioned this was always on the cards, not sure why you are trying to say you predicted this was coming.

The big question was how exactly they would go about it and how high they were aiming for in terms of income from it. (Pretty high in my opinion)

The only other people suggesting anything were the people suggesting they would sell ships etc after release.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  13. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

Because I did predict it was coming. When you say it was "always on the cards" what you mean is it was always possible, but you're saying that in hindsight. Previously we didn't see Star Citizen fanbois saying "Oh yeah they're going to have microtransactions just like all the other games these days" (if you think you were saying this, then please provide all the posts in which you did so). Instead they were touting Star Citizen as better than other games, because they assumed it would not have microtransactions, due to Star Citizen's unusual revenue raising model, which has been to charge people for a pre-alpha and promise "We'll finish it later, like, whenever".

Here's an example (emphasis mine).

You were defending Star Citizen's revenue raising model on the basis that it was "either do that" or "play terrible games from EA Games with microtransactions". And now Star Citizen has microtransactions despite its revenue raising model. How ironic. You even said "I don't think we will ever have a monthly fee just to access the game". How confident do you feel about that now?

So what are you going to do? Start claiming that you're in favor of microtransactions? Claim that microtransactions are a good thing in gaming? Claim that microtransactions don't detract from a game? Quite probably. But before you do so, I'd like to remind you of this comment (emphasis mine).

Previously you were strongly opposed to microtransactions. Now that Star Citizen has them, I guess you're going to be far more enthusiastic about this revenue model. Meanwhile, do you still believe "Multiplayer has been ruined with microtransactions"?

14. bassyblue

bassyblue Member

It’s been a stretch goal since there were stretch goals...

And micro transactions have been in since the hangar days...

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  15. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I still am.

However cosmetics to pay for expensive ongoing server fees is more then reasonable, who would disagree?

No, it has always been on the cards and it was going to happen.

What I didn't know was how much money they were going to attempt to make from it and the lengths they are going for cosmetic addons, which is why I mentioned they are now revealing their main monetisation model.

If you look at a game like Elite Dangerous, you can see why it can be both surprising and somewhat expected at the same time.

16. bassyblue

bassyblue Member

$9 for a decorative item? I don’t give a crap about the cost of decorative items. I thought it was cheaper than that when I looked at it in the tool.

17. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Don't you see?

The coffee machine is pay to win!

bassyblue likes this.
  18. bassyblue

bassyblue Member

Ok, there seems to be some misconception that there’s something new about what they’re selling. The only difference is being able to get stuff directly on a ship and have it tie into the hull insurance. Anyone claiming any different is either lying or hasn’t bothered to look.
    Components, weapons (if you see a distinction between components and weapons), decorations, skins. They’re all available to purchase for money and planned for in game currencies if you can’t get them yet. It goes directly with their idea to have manufacturers offer different loadouts seasonally or when new weapons/components come out. None of this is new information. In fact, most of this information is many years old.

Of course they’re proud of the tool. It has to tie directly into who knows how many systems and work inside the game and out.

Murmandamus likes this.
  19. Murmandamus

Murmandamus Member

It is. The coffee machine is $2. It's $9 for all those items.

20. bassyblue

bassyblue Member

I confirmed that this morning. I got my 350R the bigger, badder set as well.