Star Citizen

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Mikuji, Oct 10, 2012.

1. sparz14

sparz14 Member

People have no problem throwing $100 down for a kickstarter project with nothing in return until it's released... but give them a semi playable game with an upgraded ship and they'll whine till the cows come home

2. bassyblue

bassyblue Member

Don't forget the conspiracy theories and backseat development.

3. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

Yeah you claim you're still opposed to microtransactions, then say they are "more than reasonable", and "good in my opinion". I don't think this is reasoable given all the money they're already squeezing out of players with microtransactions for in game items like ship insurance, base insurance, land licenses, and of course outrageous ship prices.

People like me knew it was going to happen; we were the ones saying a long time ago that they were going to increase monetisation from microtransactions. When I said " what you mean is it was always possible, but you're saying that in hindsight", I mean you didn't see it coming, unlike other people. You weren't one of the people saying "Yeah they're going to monetize this as much as they can, expect more microtransactions, more money wringing tactics like base insurance, and land licenses, and even more ridiculous ship prices".

On the contrary, as I've already demonstrated, you were contrasting Star Citizen with games that use microtransactions. You were defending Star Citizen's revenue raising model on the basis that it was "either do that" or "play terrible games from EA Games with microtransactions". And now Star Citizen has microtransactions despite its revenue raising model.

You even said "I don't think we will ever have a monthly fee just to access the game". How confident do you feel about that now? And do you still believe "Multiplayer has been ruined with microtransactions"?

XanaTos likes this.
  4. bassyblue

bassyblue Member

Show me one thing new in the microtransactions that came with the ship customizer.

5. josh_676

josh_676 Member

Purchased in 2014 for 129 dollars, haven't played the beta, still waiting, not complaining.

If a man builds the gaming equivalent of the 8th wonder of the world, awesome, if he fails but tried hard, at least he tried.

bassyblue likes this.
  6. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I don't even know what to say, you think Star Citizen should run MMO servers and updates for the next 10+ years without a reoccurring income.

Its very easy to complain you don't like something, its much harder to give a realistic answer to something that Star Citizen fans would actually like.

The Star Citizen kickstarter is based on there being no monthly fee so I have on idea what you are trying to say.

Monthly fees for a niche genre, space might not be the best idea either, I'm on the fence about the best monetisation method for Star Citizen's ongoing costs.

You knew nothing we didn't already know.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  7. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

It also says it's single player, will allow user hosted servers and mods, will have 100 systems at launch, etc.

8. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Of course anything can happen but I do think the original kickstarter is being mostly followed, but it has definitely been tweaked to reduce development time and increase profitability.

I even previously mentioned the idea of Chris Roberts finding a publisher so he can make sweeping changes and blame the publisher (like monthly fees or buying ships after release)

9. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Lol

Fortigurn likes this.
  10. Sledge

Sledge Member

WTF?? What game are YOU looking at...
    not the one i'm waiting for still....

Fortigurn and bassyblue like this.
  11. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Fair point, what I meant was that they've made changes to reduce development time on kickstarter commitments so they could add Chris Robert's own extensive scope changes.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    Sledge likes this.
  12. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Alpha 3.5 sounds like a complete dog's breakfast... lucky I didn't bother to update.
    After a whole bunch of stuff that was bumped from 3.5, now even more is being bumped / delayed from 3.6 to later as the snowballing continues. Urgh. Let me know when it moves to beta in 2022.

13. bassyblue

bassyblue Member

SC features are more likely to be bumped as the focus is put on Squadron 42 getting in to beta.

14. Murmandamus

Murmandamus Member

3.5 has been pretty fucked. The change to keep custom components when claiming a ship in 3.5.1 made me want to try again, but I just couldn't earn money due to the missions bugging out etc. Gave up after a couple hours when I got stuck in Levski due to falling through the floor of the lifts.

The constant overheating is pure aids. Fixed weapons are bugged. Missions are super buggy. AI is broken. They ruined Jumptown, the only legit avenue for PvP and role play. Ship retrieval is buggy at Arc Corp. I didn't have an issue with the flight model but I haven't tried much combat with it. 300 series rework and paint jobs look nice, but don't try to use the cargo bay because it's broken.

There's interesting stuff coming in 3.6 but they need to get things at least somewhat working or there's not a lot of point. Based on twitch streamers/viewers they had decent momentum at the end of last year, but that's died off significantly this year because the game is just too broken for people to want to spend time in it.

Sphinx2000 likes this.
  15. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Star Citizen isn't the only one struggling with the Crytek/Lumberyard engine...
    3+ other PC titles now cancelled or paused, citing issues with the engine. Dozens of staff let go from Amazon game studios.

Amazon Game Studios Struggling Due To Lumberyard Engine
    https://techraptor.net/content/amazon-game-studios-struggling-due-to-lumberyard-engine
    Time to switch engine again SC?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    Fortigurn likes this.
  16. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

Cant wait for the OCAU spin king to tell us how this is actually good and Chris Roberts is a visionary so this is perfect to see his vision to completion....or something

Fortigurn likes this.
  17. bart5986

bart5986 Member

:lol::lol::lol:

They never switched engines exactly, they just went from one CryEngine to another Cryengine version from Amazon.

Sort of like how running Unity 4, and then changing to Unity 5 is not an engine change, or switching from Unity 5 to a Unity 5 fork, for example from Nvidia.

-----

The important quote is here

The issue with CryEngine is a shared one, huge multiplayer worlds in a modern time where small World of Warcraft areas with loading screens is not acceptable.

The difference is that Chris Roberts has been working on his proposed solution for the majority of development (at least we hope)

What will be interesting is if Chris Roberts will share this with Amazon (assuming his solution is actually completed successfully)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  18. XanaTos

XanaTos Member

Ask and you shall recevice.

Fortigurn likes this.
  19. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

Will be interesting to see if Chris Roberts has a choice but to share any advancements he makes, it would be explicitly detailed in the Lumberyard licensing agreement.

20. bart5986

bart5986 Member

At least from memory, it would seem very careless on Amazon's behalf to not have this clause. This is mainly because I'm pretty sure Chris Roberts poached important CryEngine programmers from Crytek so surely Amazon just have a bunch of regular developers trying to navigate the minefield of Cryengine.]

Everything is a little confusing to be honest, I believe RSI did the 64-bit engine conversion, does that mean Crytek does not have this tech? or did they do it separately? I would assume Crytek have done it, as Amazon purchased from Crytek, not RSI, unless RSI and Crytek had a code sharing deal going on as well.