Star Citizen

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Mikuji, Oct 10, 2012.

1. bart5986

bart5986 Member

So whats this then?

Err what?

I am saying, there is no evidence that Star Citizen will not achieve its current feature scope.

But at the same time I'm saying there is no evidence to say that they will (specially simultaneous player numbers)

I disagree completely

Problems with DNF:

1. It was half finished, and thats after Gearbox "completed" it. You could literally tell room by room and map by map where gearbox slapped something together to get it out the door.

2. It was completely replaceable by any other FPS game.

3. It wasn't that great of an idea to begin with

You could release Duke Nukem Forever based on the 2001 E3 video and have a lot of success. See Ion Fury from 3d Realms released on 2019.

2. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Is Star Citizen making progress slowly? Yes
    Is there a lot to show and play for 8 years and $300 million of development? No
    Will they finish the game as fully envisioned before running out of money? Seems unlikely.
    Will what is eventually launched, be the best game ever? Don't get your hopes up.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    Fortigurn, c4dderly and Sankari like this.
  3. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

From their 2012 kickstarter campaign

They're only... 5 years behind. I'd say that is significant evidence of the game either not releasing in a finalised form at all, or being released as a completely gimped product ala no man's sky

4. bart5986

bart5986 Member

This seems pretty silly because there is already countless amounts of evidence, including from RSI themselves that the product will "either not releasing in a finalised form at all, or being released as a completely gimped product ala no man's sky"

Adding time as some sort of accurate indicator of having features or not seems silly to me.

It even gets even more silly when you consider that the game in 2012 is a completely different scope compared to 2019.

There are way more features now compared to 2012, however thats not to say people want all of those features (like the talking mouth voip thing) But some of them are great additions.

5. Sankari

Sankari Member

It's not silly, because the time factor was established by Roberts himself. His company had specific deadlines for progress, and they've consistently failed to meet them.

For the record, I have no skin in this game; it makes no difference to me if SC succeeds or fails. I haven't spent a single cent on it, so I have no reason to hope for its success, and no reason to get upset if it fails.

6. Nian

Nian Member

Pick one: Stupid or Obtuse.

Because you have to be either. The original Kickstarter scope was vastly expanded upon. The game would have been released on time if it was sticking to the original WingCommander V2 concept. But with the funding, and the appetite of the fans. CR gave the backers the option. Not just once. But he asked THREE times if they should continue to expand the scope of the game as funds massively flowed in.
    All three times, the backers voted overwhelmingly to continue to expand the scope.

What you are butt hurt about is that you have been watching a game get developed from nothing. A rare and normally behind closed doors event. It's not actually that long of a development time frame. Not in the grand scheme of things. But well... Patience is a rare thing apparently.

7. Nian

Nian Member

Will you buy it if it is a success then?

8. Nian

Nian Member

The talking voip and head tracking are awsome! Lot's of fun, and will make the game stand out. It will also give players a good reason to use the inbuilt voip to game chat. Having ingame video of a player in a cool holographic effect, with face animation. Very nice.

Just remember, none of those features are the stoppers from the game coming out. There was a update some time ago about the three pillars that need to be completed for release. I know AI was one. The other two, can't remember.
    But they were significant parts of the game that need to be there. The rest can be added later, or now. Doesn't matter when, but while the three main parts are still been developed, why not use the other programmers on the side features?
    Not every staff member is an AI, database, or network programmer.

Same goes for the Ships been released. There is only a hand full of artists working on them, not even 10% of the staff last I heard. So people think another ship = wasting resources, is complete bullshit. Just another reason for some petty fool to complain about nothing.

9. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

What makes you think I'm butthurt? I've laid down $0 on this game, makes no difference to me what happens with it. I was just pointing out that "no evidence" is a bit of a stretch and being skeptical doesn't make me an idiot, as you so rudely suggested.

Is the game being released feature complete in 2030 an appropriate timeline? Is this can just going to get kicked down the road forever?

10. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I agree its a great feature, like everything else.

The issue is that its added scope that not everyone wanted it seems, although at this points its not clear who is complaining. A) Kickstarter Backers B) Game Owners C) People who don't own the game.

I'm simply waiting for the player count increase, without it there is no game, and there is little information about it.

The game doesn't need to be feature complete on release, just look at ED, they released with almost no content at all.

You can add more content on release, but as I said this only works if the actual base game is fun, which requires enough players etc in the universe.

11. Nian

Nian Member

Not a problem with player population. They haven't even begun to advertise Star Citizen. When they do, don't forget that their on Amazon. You can bet that Amazon will be littered with ads for it.

The only thing that worries me is that everyone has their own ship/s. We need players who just crew a ship, or do the marine fps thing. They need a cheap lower tier account for sure. No ship, but comes with some basic armour and weapons, and no license to pilot a ship.

12. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I'm talking about the engine being able to support a high player population.

The server can handle what is it, 50-100 players right now?

The server, or "servers" will need to handle 10000+ players for the game to work, especially when you include all the star systems that are planned, which would just spread out a low max player count even more.

There is a lot of early discussion from Chris Roberts about this, but we haven't had much of an update on their goals since then, I think its way more important then literally any other feature.

The problem with every space game is how it supports the amount of players, Elite Dangerous was the only thing that came close, and thats through a fake illusion mostly. Duel Universe is the only other game that appears to actually achieve it, but I've never played it.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  13. Sankari

Sankari Member

No, it doesn't interest me. I'd rather buy CP2077.

Oh come on, that's not even remotely true. Every game that's ever been funded by Kickstarter can say the same, and there's been plenty of them. These days you can follow the development of a game via Imgur, for crying out loud. Developers post updates on the regular.

Are you kidding? 7 years with nothing to show for it but trailers and a limited alpha is a long development time frame in anyone's language.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  14. bart5986

bart5986 Member

So why are you constantly in this thread?

At least I think (or hope) the other people in this thread are just shitting on the game because they think it won't turn out as planned.

Your whole "i'd rather buy CP2077" is funny because not only is it a completely different game, there is also nothing more then a scripted gameplay video available to see, but you are clearly buying the hype.

15. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

Read it properly. It doesn't say the engine isn't able to support the current feature set.

On what basis? You're notorious in this thread for making unsubstantiated statements for which you never provide any evidence, and holding forth opinions on no basis, which you later backflip on completely.

Your really want to have it both ways, don't you?

As usual you've avoided all the similarities between DNF and SC, and tried to change the subject.

And after telling us that SC is taking so long because RSI have no intention of releasing an unfinished game and it wouldn't be possible to add content afterwards, you and other fanbois are now telling us that RSI will release an unfinished game and just finish it "whenever" by adding content afterwards. You've been so wrong about this game so many times, and the people who have been criticizing it have been consistently right.

16. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I'm the one saying there is no evidence either way.

You are directly quoted as there being some sort of evidence, which I'm waiting for.

The fact that you are asking for evidence on my statement saying there is no evidence... well honestly thats kinda amusing.

I never said this, and I don't think anyone else has either.

The closest I've ever come to saying anything like this was when someone said that they should have released SQ42 before the engine had additional features like planets, and then add that stuff in later, where I pointed out that since SQ42 is designed around planets, that would be silly.

Also its pretty amusing that you are claiming that X people have been right, and X people have been wrong about things, when literally nothing has changed in the game so nobody can claim they were right or wrong.

17. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

But you're not providing any rational reason for saying this.

I provided it. You didn't even quote it, let alone respond to it.

Classic historical revisionism.

Literally nothing has changed in the game? What is that supposed to mean? The feature set has changed wildly all over the place. It has grown, it has shrunk, new bits have been added which no one asked for, other bits long promised have been cut (which even you have had to acknowledge). It has changed so much that you started saying no one really knows what the final feature set will be, even though RSI keeps trying to tell us what it will be.

Remember, some of the fanbois here have had to say things like "he's already gone back on a lot of the original promises", and "I'm assuming we will hear some more things cut in the future". This is hilarious given the number of skeptics here who warned about exactly this, for a very long time. At least some of the fanbois are finally starting to face reality.

Sankari likes this.
  18. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Well all I can say is that Star Citizen development overall is lacking a lot of information, the devs are only vocal about the issues they want to talk about, which means none of our questions get answered.

I see no evidence, only your opinion.

What was promised has changed a lot since the kickstarter, but nothing much has happened in quite a while.

So I'm not sure how people are meant to be proven wrong or proven right at this point.. the time for that is probably a year or two away at least.

19. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

Hahahaha a year or two away.. such wishful thinking :lol::lol::lol:

mesaoz and Sankari like this.
  20. Murmandamus

Murmandamus Member

3.7 PTU has been pretty nice. Definitely a big step forward after the shitshow that was 3.5. Lots of nice new additions and QOL improvements. FPS mining, caves, improved AI, mission sharing, ship rentals, more weapon attachments. Completed the Darneely mission last night and nearly got ganked by the AI.

Need to see how it pans out on live when the servers are up longer, but with ship rentals, working delivery missions (completed 8/8 without issue), mining without a prospector and trade it looks like it will be feasible for people with starter ships to earn enough to buy a ship before the next wipe. I plan to try for a Freelancer.